RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RAC Trackstar Plus System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
RAC Trackstar Plus System

This is not to debate which Tracking system is best and why so please let's not go there, what I wanted to point out and ask is this.

The kit arrived in the post today in advance of the engineer fitting it, so I opened it up as I was curious to see what it all looked like. I can't fathom why certain parts in there.

There is a speaker box and bracket and a small microphone, exactly the same as you'd find in a mobile phone car kit. As usual I have some pics for illustration below, the final picture shows the parts I mean, the first one just shows all the contents.

Anyone know why they are there?

L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4071 Thu Oct 27 2005 9:14am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

They are there to use two additional subscriptions options you can have - emergency calls & safespeed.
Emergency calls allows you to call the control room and ask for assistance.
Safespeed warns you when you are approaching a speed camera zone by bleeping. Your speed is measured by the GPS and if you are still exceeding the speed limit just before you approach the camera, the beeps get loader and faster.

The TrackStar unit is basically the same as the TrafficMaster SmartNav unit. This is why both these options are available to TrackStar users. Even if you are not using these features, the engineer should normally still fit these extra items so that the features can be simply activated later or by the next owner.

PS. Should of purchased this from your fellow RRSports forum member Very Happy I'm a TrafficMaster SmartNav/TrackStar dealer, as mentioned on previous posts on this subject. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4076 Thu Oct 27 2005 10:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

A shot in the dark, but does this system come with the function that allows the control centre to speak to you? e.g. you have a crash and the system immediately contacts the control centre and puts you in touch "hands free"? I think the BMW Assist feature can include that... although not sure how it works from a technical perspective.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #4077 Thu Oct 27 2005 10:31am
RRUK

Thanks Mpwox11,

Now I understand. I shall not be going for either of those extra products and will ask them not to fit it all, I don;t want an additiona mike and speaker in the car I am not going to use. I'll keep them for whe I sell the car on in the future.

Sorry I didn't use you, forgot totally, probably would have got it cheaper too eh! Wink

As you are an installer, how much disruption is there to dash and interior when fitting these things? I am concerned the interior will need pulling apart and not go back like it should, have seen that so many times on car kits etc. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4087 Thu Oct 27 2005 1:04pm
Biggles

England 

RRUK wrote:
Thanks Mpwox11,

Now I understand. I shall not be going for either of those extra products and will ask them not to fit it all, I don;t want an additiona mike and speaker in the car I am not going to use. I'll keep them for whe I sell the car on in the future.

Sorry I didn't use you, forgot totally, probably would have got it cheaper too eh! Wink

As you are an installer, how much disruption is there to dash and interior when fitting these things? I am concerned the interior will need pulling apart and not go back like it should, have seen that so many times on car kits etc.

Always use somebody reputable. Nothing worse than a poor install and rattles later in the life of the car.
I always use the same man who supplies our two communication systems and he knows if it is not done correct he will lose our custom and lots of money. He always hates working on my cars because he knows I watch every move he makes. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #4090 Thu Oct 27 2005 1:31pm
d3matt

RRUK wrote:

As you are an installer, how much disruption is there to dash and interior when fitting these things? I am concerned the interior will need pulling apart and not go back like it should, have seen that so many times on car kits etc.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get inside the RRS. I haven't really looked too hard on mine. I felft the same, that is why I changed insurance companies to one that didn't want a tracker fitted as I didn't fancy pulling the car apart. I'd also rather pay slightly more on the insurance as this is still less than the annual tracker subscription fees.
Anyway, not fitting the speaker or mic does help a lot as the rest of the fitting would probably done from below the dash and hopefully would not involve removing too much. I'm not going to say where the box might get fitted for security reasons. Fitting the antennas is normally tricky as these need to go as high up as possible and as close to the lower centre of the windscreen as possible so they get good access to the sky. Sometimes you can fit these behind the speedo dials. However, as the windscreen is heat protected and has heating wires, this would seriously hamper the signals, so it would be better to fit the antennas externally - maybe in the wiper housing between the bonnet and the windscreen, or maybe share the LR roof antenna (if this is possible - not sure). Also the guy will need to find the wiring to the fuel pump which can be tricky. This is why I pay others to fit these, as fitting a TrackStar is very awkward. Fitting a SmartNav is easier, but then trim on modern cars is getting very difficult to remove.
Who is fitting this for you? Matt
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4094 Thu Oct 27 2005 2:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

Company in question I bought the unit from and who are arranging the fitment are called Driven In Car.

http://www.drivenincar.com/

It is possible to worry yourself to death over these things I'm sure, but then you could also the same amount about NOT having a tracking system on your car, even if the cost balances out, what about the peace of mind factor etc. If the thief wants to trash your car at least he'll get caught trying to with a tracker installed rather than getting away scot free.

It's swings and roundabouts I suppose. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4112 Thu Oct 27 2005 4:22pm
d3matt

RRUK,

There also the thought that if your car get's nicked and damaged, would you want it back?

It is likely that these guys you purchased the TrackStar are getting one of TrafficMaster's nationwide fitting agents. It is probably Global AutoTech (tel 08707 1690077). Well they do 90% of the SmartNav installations, so I assume they also fit the TrackStars. It might be worth asking Drivenincar if this is the case. If it is, then you could call Global AutoTech directly and ask them for a guy who has experience of fitting in the RR Sport. Global AutoTech do deal direct with the end users and charge the dealer or end user the same price. Matt

Post #4121 Thu Oct 27 2005 7:02pm
RRUK

Thanks for that, I shall enquire L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4132 Fri Oct 28 2005 9:09am
RRUK

I spoke to DrivenInCar, they have put my mind at rest. They use a company called TSN Automotive for the installations, he said they have done well over 20 Range Rover Sports and many Range Rovers and the guy who does my patch has done a large proportion of those. He said that the Sport is actually one of the easier cars to fit to, compared to Mercedes which are difficult. I guess you could read that as the Sport falls to bits easily!

Anyway, they're fully insured and I don't feel like I am going to be a guineau pig install, which is nice.

And....reeelax. Laughing

Here's a link to the VSIB page detailing accredited installers of all things security.

You can scroll through this list to find your local accredited installer.

http://www.vsib.co.uk/AllSearch.asp L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4157 Fri Oct 28 2005 2:24pm
d3matt

If by Mercedes, they mean the ML, then I'd agree. That was the last car I did (my own) and it was a pig to fit. Hence why I pay others to do it now. Matt

Post #4162 Fri Oct 28 2005 3:41pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've got the RAC Trackstar fitted in mine.....which did cause the removal of the GPS display, but no rattles.

I fitted the Origin B2 - GATSO/GPS detector rather than the Trackstar safespeed option as they "update" the unit periodically, which means not very often, which around the London area is a bit of a gamble. The Origin I update every week, especially for the extra units that are installed in road works around the M25.

Post #4173 Fri Oct 28 2005 4:19pm
RRUK

RAD,

Who did you buy it fron and do you know which company fitted it?

Did you watch the install? If so, did it make you take sharp intakes of breath as things were pulled apart? L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4184 Fri Oct 28 2005 5:41pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

To be honest.......it was done at the dealers prior to delivery, although with the exception of an earth wire, you wouldn't know it was there.

I guess its down not just to company that you choose, but more importantly, the fitter.

If I was going to do it again, I would ask them to do it at my place or work at or my house.....then I could keep an eye on their progress.

That's twice the screen and the surrounding panels have been off. Once for the Trackstar and once for the NAV/TV module (which only partially works).

Post #4210 Sat Oct 29 2005 6:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1