RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Audio quality and Logic 7
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Audio quality and Logic 7

Just wondering if anybody else is unhappy with the sound quality of their Logic 7 system? I’m about the have the amp changed for the 2nd time, resulting from very poor quality audio. I had a Logic 7 system in my BMW 645 which sounded wonderful – a huge difference from the RRS which at best sounds mediocre.

Maybe, I just need a better set of ears?

Post #4032 Wed Oct 26 2005 4:09pm
BBlackRRS

I totally agree, I keep the Logic 7 off all the time, it sounds terrible in my opinion. My last Rover was a 4.0SE. While the 4.0 was a peice of $h*t mechanically, the stereo was amazing. My RRS SC is currently in the shop on numerous needed fixes and the stereo is one of the issues that I have listed as unnacceptable (on top of my passenger side rattling speaker), especially for a $70k+ automobile.

Post #4039 Wed Oct 26 2005 5:02pm
grommet

United States 

It's OK, compared to most production vehicles... but it's marginal compared to most mid-range aftermarket installs. Regretably, the level of integration makes it extremely hard to "replace" or "fix" without impacting the vehicle.

Post #4041 Wed Oct 26 2005 5:10pm
gregpen

2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

Hello,

I also believe the Logic7 sonics are sub-par compared to other systems in similarly priced autos.
Personally, the best sound system I hever had was the Infinity-based stereo in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. I'll miss it.
Therefore I turn the Logic7 off and listen to the adequate HK speakers on the RRS doors (whose grilles rattle when 'bassy' material is played)

Doesn't mean that the rest of the vehicle sucks, tho'

Cheers

Post #4070 Thu Oct 27 2005 8:09am
bgreig

United States 
Does your subwoofer work?

When I change the subwoofer setting, it does not seem to have any effect. Is there a subwoofer with Logic 7 in the RRS?

Also, LR website says "touchscreen interface" for the audio is standard on the HSE and SC. Can anyone tell me how to make it work?

Thanks Thanks,
BGreig

Post #4561 Wed Nov 02 2005 3:36am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

In my experience, Logic 7 processing is only effective with RSE equipped cars for movie watching. The L7 processor does a very good job with Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS encoded DVDs., If you play a DVD, DVD Audio or DTS disc, it sounds great with Logic 7 on, and when the dealer demoed the system that way in his showroom (using a demo DD/DTS DVD, sneaky little bastard... Very Happy), I thought this was the greatest sound system I had ever heard in a car. The active subwoofer (located in the rear liftgate, I was told) is similarly effective with those multi-channel soundtracks, and you can hear a BIG difference in bass by adjusting its level.

Unfortunately, for any other regular, 2-channel stereo signals (radio, CDs, satellite radio, MP3), Logic 7 does not seem to be nearly as effective. If you turn it off, things improve, but despite all those speakers, amps and watts the sound becomes quite ordinary (in my opinion). Leaving L7 on sounds worse to my ears. Most of the sound appears to come out of the center speaker, with "muddy" results that lack separation and punch. The sub, which probably gets very little sent its way by the DSP in 2-channel mode, is nearly useless as well, as you noticed.

So, if you don't have RSE you are missing out on Logic 7's true capabilities. Problem is, most people dont' have RSE and even those that do don't listen to it 90% of the time... Land Rover could have done better for this kind of money. 

Post #4564 Wed Nov 02 2005 5:07am
grommet

United States 
Re: Does your subwoofer work?

bgreig wrote:
Also, LR website says "touchscreen interface" for the audio is standard on the HSE and SC.
That would be one of Land Rover's famous documentation or marketing "mistakes." The only touchscreen interface somewhat related to audio is if you have the Rear Seat Entertaiment System (DVD)... but it's specific to the RSES features.

Range Rover, however, is all Touchscreen... since there is no normal "head unit" control.

Post #4567 Wed Nov 02 2005 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1