RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Open rear door...courtesy lights come on !!!
Want to know how to have the courtesy lights come on when a rear door is opened?
yes
90%
 90%  [45]
no
10%
 10%  [5]
Total Votes: 50

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bow down Bow down Thank you! Looking forward to some DIY next week end! Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #87354 Mon Feb 26 2007 9:10am
Richchad

United Kingdom 

Well done AlanM, that looks fairly simple to do. Smile

I think I am right in suggesting if you didn't want all other lights to come on when either rear courtesy light is manually switched on, you could fit a diode in the new wire at the courtesy light end to stop feedback to the other lights, ie a diode is like a one way valve.

I am not sure what type of diode, perhaps some auto electricians looking in here might confirm if I am right and what type to use Question Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE
Loire Blue/Ivory leather Privacy Glass

Gone - RRSPORT 2010 TDV6 HSE
Stornaway/Ebony Premium leather with Lunar stitching, Heated Steering Wheel and Privacy Glass.

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE
Buckingham Blue/Ivory, Privacy Glass, Tasmods Sills, Supercharged Black Badges all round, Grille & Vents, plus RRSport Sticker & Brolly of course.

Post #87362 Mon Feb 26 2007 9:54am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Great work, AlanM! Thanks for doing this - much appreciated! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #87363 Mon Feb 26 2007 10:00am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Perhaps he should send the idea to LR so that they can add the extra wire when they build it Idea TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #87422 Mon Feb 26 2007 11:40am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

If I was Alan, I'd be expecting a commission... I still can't believe they haven't done it in the first place. I wonder if the D3 is the same? 

Post #87426 Mon Feb 26 2007 11:47am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Personally for me it dosen't impact on us as we rarely use the back seats at night. But I agree every other car has this feature so seems a little strange that LR missed it. I assume the RR has it? TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #87435 Mon Feb 26 2007 11:57am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

A friend's L322 definitely does. 

Post #87436 Mon Feb 26 2007 11:58am
AlanM

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Richchad wrote:
Well done AlanM, that looks fairly simple to do. Smile

I think I am right in suggesting if you didn't want all other lights to come on when either rear courtesy light is manually switched on, you could fit a diode in the new wire at the courtesy light end to stop feedback to the other lights, ie a diode is like a one way valve.

I am not sure what type of diode, perhaps some auto electricians looking in here might confirm if I am right and what type to use Question

A good idea!! Diodes are rated by voltage and current and type. You could use a diode from a wrecked alternator for sure. Maybe an electrician out there know a suitable one that's available from a discount warehouse.

My vehicle has a black interior so I find it nice that both rear lights come on when one switch is operated (a fact I omitted to mention).

. .
Come for a visit, Victoria is beautiful!

Post #87641 Mon Feb 26 2007 5:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Richchad

United Kingdom 

AlanM wrote:

My vehicle has a black interior so I find it nice that both rear lights come on when one switch is operated (a fact I omitted to mention).

Yes, the diode idea wouldn't change that, it would just prevent all the other lights coming on if someone in the back manually switched on a courtesy light, which could be distracting or annoying to the front driver/passenger. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE

Stornaway/Ebony Premium leather with Lunar stitching, Heated Steering Wheel and Privacy Glass.

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE
Buckingham Blue/Ivory, Privacy Glass, Tasmods Sills, Supercharged Black Badges all round, Grille & Vents, plus RRSport Sticker & Brolly of course.

Post #87653 Mon Feb 26 2007 6:10pm
AlanM

Richchad wrote:
AlanM wrote:

Yes, the diode idea wouldn't change that, it would just prevent all the other lights coming on if someone in the back manually switched on a courtesy light, which could be distracting or annoying to the front driver/passenger.

Hmmmm... I can only think that the diode must be placed in the new wire and in that case, no current could flow from the switched on light down it, so it's hard to see why the second light would come on. But I may be wrong - do try it out and let me know!

. .

Post #87774 Tue Feb 27 2007 8:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

A big Thumbs Up AlanM for sorting this out - work like this makes this site such a valuable resource. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #87775 Tue Feb 27 2007 8:56am
Richchad

United Kingdom 

AlanM wrote:
Hmmmm... I can only think that the diode must be placed in the new wire and in that case, no current could flow from the switched on light down it, so it's hard to see why the second light would come on. But I may be wrong - do try it out and let me know!

Ah I see what you mean, yes it would prevent both rear courtesy lights coming on when any one is switched on, that would be the downside of not having all the other lights turned on if someone in the back switches on a courtesy light I guess. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE

Post #87776 Tue Feb 27 2007 9:07am
BoatMad

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Any small amp diode would do say a IN 5404 3amps, 200V rating RS part no 348-5454 cost about 10p wire it so that cathode ( bar on the case) faces the courtsey light in the wire running from the puddle lamps.

That rating should be ok upto say 20 watt bulb and I suspect the lights are 5W. RRS HSE TDV8 Java black/Ebony interior, mud flaps,20" stormers, towing, roofrack,sunroof,cooler V8 Tasmods Sills,black badges, carstyling java black vents
Previously FFRR TD6 Metallic Grey

Post #87994 Tue Feb 27 2007 8:24pm
AlanM

Additions

Thanks for the pats on the back guys. And thanks too for the additions from Richchad and BoatMad - which I have added to the webpage: http://www.admiral.bc.ca/RRSC/reardoorlights/reardoorlights.html .

Post #88137 Wed Feb 28 2007 12:56am
geezo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
MY KIDS SAY YES TOO

WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD LET ME KNOW PLEEEEEEEASE RRS HSE 06

M REG LANDCRUISER
Audi TT Quattro s/tronic convertible 2008
Range rover Vogue 3.2v8 2007..

Post #88150 Wed Feb 28 2007 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>