RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Supercharged re-map
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

exint2

Supercharged re-map

Sorry if this has been posted before, but which companies aside from Paramount offer an ECU Re-map for the S/c - and does anyone have any practical experience of them

Thanks

Post #86703 Fri Feb 23 2007 1:49pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Worth speaking to both JE and Turbochip, both of which are forum sponsors. I don't believe SC performance upgrades are done at the ECU like the diesel engines. I believe their route is via upgrades to the charger itself (and exhaust changes). 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #86704 Fri Feb 23 2007 2:00pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

The Supercharger uses a DENSO ecu which can be re-mapped Smile Chips with everything

Post #86778 Fri Feb 23 2007 5:34pm
thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Most upgrades to the Jag 4.2 litre S/C engine have come from a combination of an 'under-drive' pulley as well as an ECU re-flash I think. Gains approximately 50hp. An exhaust upgrade might return an additional 10-20 hp, but I can't verify that.
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #86790 Fri Feb 23 2007 7:51pm
LRtuning

'Bishman,

Trouble with pulley upgrades is that they involve a major mecanical modification to your vehicle for relatively small bhp gains.....an expensive option and warranty 'out of the window' Sad Chips with everything

Post #86791 Fri Feb 23 2007 8:41pm
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

LRtuning wrote:
The Supercharger uses a DENSO ecu which can be re-mapped Smile

Is the standard ECU so far out there are useful gains without getting any more air into the engine??? Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #86794 Fri Feb 23 2007 9:49pm
LRtuning

Simon,

The standard ecu has lots of additional power that can be 'released' but the majority of tuners have no idea how to identify the engine map areas within the DENSO system.

There is a great deal that can be done with air/fuel ratio, torque limiters and throttle sensitivity.

There is also an 'overboost' protection in the maps which is why many people can only increase boost pressure by 0.1 bar (or a small pully change in lay man terms).

If you combine a pully change, exhaust and complete remap as above I see no reason why you could not release at least 80bhp....

Smile Chips with everything

Post #86826 Sat Feb 24 2007 8:46am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

any side effects?

Post #86836 Sat Feb 24 2007 10:14am
thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

LRtuning wrote:
'Bishman,

Trouble with pulley upgrades is that they involve a major mecanical modification to your vehicle for relatively small bhp gains.....an expensive option and warranty 'out of the window' Sad

In your response to my post you seem to disparage a pulley exchange, but then two posts below you tell Simon that a pully, (sic), change, exhaust and ECU re-map could get about 80 bhp. So what exactly ARE your thoughts on a pulley exchange; yes or no?

Further, pulley exchanges are not a major mechanical problem, normally taking less than 2 hours of labour, plus most, (all?), dealers would have a hell of a time noticing that the supercharger pulley had been switched out. Supercharged engines are not as easy to 'tune' as turbocharged engines are, and the most reliable way to derive a meaningful increase in bhp is to exchange the supercharger pulley, and then re-map the ECU to take advantage of the increased rotational speed of the supercharger. Add to that a freer flowing exhaust, (IF one exists for the RRS S/C), and once might get approximately a 50-70 bhp reliable increase as I originally stated.
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #86870 Sat Feb 24 2007 4:00pm
LRtuning

Bish,

I wasnt dismissing a pulley change but the engine management should always be 'tackled' first before resorting to mechanical modifications Smile

So in a perfect world....ecu remap as 'Stage 1' tuning and Pulley, exhaust and remap as 'Stage 2' Smile

Kaine

As for side effects; same as could be expected with any diagnostic remap (diesel or petrol) that if LR foind out about it they could restrict your warranty....highly unlikely....but still a possibility Chips with everything

Post #86875 Sat Feb 24 2007 6:00pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Just a general comment, however in my understanding I dont believe any tuning company (except the big boys such as AMG etc) or expert in this field actually completes full NVH tests for the modified cars - LandRover have to ensure the homologation of the RRS etc and hence I expect edge of the side of caution when it comes to the engine tuning/performance - if they can get more performance and better mpg and still maintain the expected lifetime of the vehicle, then they would do it.

Modifying the engine must have some effect on something (be it durability, emissions at lower temps etc) - unless the NVH testing has been completed to prove otherwise of course

Just my thoughts

Kaine

Post #86879 Sat Feb 24 2007 6:21pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Kaine wrote:
Just a general comment, however in my understanding I dont believe any tuning company (except the big boys such as AMG etc) or expert in this field actually completes full NVH tests for the modified cars - LandRover have to ensure the homologation of the RRS etc and hence I expect edge of the side of caution when it comes to the engine tuning/performance - if they can get more performance and better mpg and still maintain the expected lifetime of the vehicle, then they would do it.

Modifying the engine must have some effect on something (be it durability, emissions at lower temps etc) - unless the NVH testing has been completed to prove otherwise of course

Just my thoughts

Kaine

good point kaine Thumbs Up 

Post #86881 Sat Feb 24 2007 6:29pm
LRtuning

Kaine,

I agree but consumers want to have their cars remapped and while they do there will always been tuners in business.

As long as their development process is robust then cutsomers will be satisfied that they have a quality product Chips with everything

Post #86883 Sat Feb 24 2007 6:30pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

LRtuning wrote:
Kaine,

I agree but consumers want to have their cars remapped and while they do there will always been tuners in business.

As long as their development process is robust then cutsomers will be satisfied that they have a quality product

good relpy LRtuning Thumbs Up

im still undecided as to have mine chipped as yet Rolling Eyes 

Post #86891 Sat Feb 24 2007 6:45pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

LRtuning wrote:
Kaine,

As long as their development process is robust then cutsomers will be satisfied that they have a quality product

yes they do - quite right - so I take it that my comments are part of a disclaimer with a performance upgrade?

Post #86909 Sat Feb 24 2007 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>