Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > short demo in a P400e
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

riverblanche

United Kingdom 
short demo in a P400e

Had a short demo in a P400e yesterday Smile

as we are considering a change, looking at another HSE dynamic 306 but we had a look at one of these, and quite like it,
a HSE spec would suit very nicely Very Happy

trips/miles wise expect about 3000 of 10,000 to be on electric (ish)

There did seem a long lag from foot down, before acceleration happened though Confused
but when the petrol engine kicked in it took off like a rocket, what is it like in the real world for quick safe overtakes, hesitates or you adapt and engine running already
(from slower speeds before the engine had come into play)

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #580672 Sat May 11 2019 5:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would advise that if you are normally doing more than the battery range on one way trips and cannot plug in at your destination then you would be better off with the SDv6 or the new straight 6 petrol engined version. Of course if you are driving into an emissions control zone with a daily charge them the PHEV is the best version. I don’t use my PHEV for commuting and most of my journies are 17 miles each way and I have free charging and parking at my destination car park in town so I’ve managed to get 70% of my annual mileage in purely electric mode (91p for 24 miles fully charged on peak rate lucky at home). One drawback of a PHEV when doing journies longer than the battery range is that not only do you have a small petrol engine that has to work hard at motorway speeds, it has 200kg of additional battery weight to drag around as well as the full on 4x4 gear in the RRS and that severely dents the fuel consumption when in ICE mode. My Countryman has a 3 cylinder 1.5ltr turbo petrol and when in petrol only mode it struggles to better 30 mpg at motorway speeds but it is also recharging my HV battery using over run wasted power and regenerative braking so after a 45 mile motorway run I have a fully recharged battery for going into city driving mode again. Also don’t forget that in cold weather your electric range will drop by 35-40% before you start using heated seats, heated front/rear screens, wipers and the cabin heater, all of which eat your battery range. Another thing is unless you fit a wall charger at home the RRS will take something like 9 hours to carry out a full charge on a 240v/13amp socket.
Something else to consider is depreciation - a diesel RRS looses value quite quickly, but EV’s and PHEVs loose value even faster so unless you intend to keep one a long time you could loose out heavily with the PHEV. Not as bad as the 400 mile ex demo Jaguar XJ sitting in my local dealers forecourt - sticker on the screen shows price new 3 months ago £79k, asking price today £39k - value at end of 3 years PCP......... £13000. Shocked it will be a bargain buy for someone in 3 years time!
Shortcomings apart though i’ve Really got to like electrically assisted motoring. In 10 months and 3800 miles i’ve Filled my 35ltr petrol rank 6 times, the rest of the miles have been done in silent, emissions free electric mode! Also after many years of diesel engined driving the sprightly turn of speed in my car when both electric and the petrol engine are powering it makes the TVR V8 I had eons ago feel slow. 0-62 in 6.2secs in the Countryman gives quite a few hot hatches a bit of a fright!

Edit - I got my annual reminder for VED today............. my sub 60gr/km low emitting car cones in at £455pa VED, OK some £310 of that is the luxury car tax payable for the first 5 years on cars over £40k but it isn’t cheap to tax it! An RRS will be similar too. The big advantage is if you can run one as a company car and the savings in BIK allowance is huge, but I cannot run mine as a company car. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #580673 Sat May 11 2019 6:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jra1234

United Kingdom 

I switched from a HSE Dynamic SDV6 to a P400e, in the main for advantages around town and the overall performance/power uplift. Diesel probably is better economy for sitting on the motorway....

If in 'electric' and need to get both power sources going for a quick overtake, pop the gear leaver over to sport which removed the initial electric power bias, to get a more instant response. Even when the battery appears 'empty' it seems to have a reserve for this. Overall works best if you plug it in at home so you set of with a full charge - pre-condition car climate control before setting off is also a great feature (heating or cooling)/phone app - I valuable use of battery power IMHO.

Surprisingly to me the P400e was marginally lower cost that equivalent SDV6 in the main due to standard equipment, Meridian Surround, Pano Roof and High/Low gearbox/TR2 (assuming you would spec these anyway), not to mention new new car (Y1) tax begin £15 rather than £1815 for a SDV6. I am not a company car driver so the BIK stuff often mentioned does not apply.

Have fun deciding

Post #580676 Sat May 11 2019 8:28pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi and thanks for the info Thumbs Up

sadly can not take advantage of BIK company car tax Sad no LEZ either like you Tim out in the sticks

but thats because we have both given up working for a living Very Happy Cool

our trips are mixed, we never do 2-3 miles its either 10 miles each way (no real chance to top up) a couple of times a week or 30-50 miles each way once a week, had looked at the 2nd year on tax as we have noticed an ex demo 19 plate with a few options at £69844, man maths says we will only be about £100-£200 a year saving fuel wise so no real benefit there, it would only be looking back we would really know, but still like the idea of a PHEV and as said the HSE is very similar to a 306 dynamic both spec and price Question

But over the phone they are at £33k to change and we are at £30k so may wait a bit longer yet and do more research on how our trips work out for charging while out and about, its only when you start looking you notice this sort of stuff Laughing

Played with the pcp figures just to get residual values (both at £74k) after 2 years P400e is £48000 and 306 is £43500 and after 3 years P400e is £41000 and 306 is near £40000

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #580697 Sun May 12 2019 3:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

10 miles each way would be total electric motoring all year round in the RRS PHEV, you do still need to run in petrol only mode now and again with them as you have to refresh the petrol in the tank after 3-4 months not consuming any as it looses its calorific value! 9or something like that!) Muddy’s Mitsubishi would force you to use petrol if you didn’t run in ICE mode every 3 months, mine isn’t like that but also I like to warm up the petrol engine before I have to use it - it would be a concern of mine if I were looking at a used PHEV as running in electric mode then pressing on a bit and the ICE starts up it will be cold - not great for thermal stress in mostly alloy engines to suddenly go from stopped to 60mph without a bit of warming up. I do have to run in petrol mode too to get home if all the public chargers are taken up where I park. I realise that you might prefer an RRS PHEV but there are some cracking purely electric cars around now with real life mileages of almost 300 miles (more if you go for a Tesla!) like the new Kia e-Niro and even a Jaguar IPace will do real life 225miles on a charge (and as they aren’t selling that well outside of London many Jaguar dealers are offering fantastic deals on very low miles ex demo cars - I looked at a 3 month old Firenze I Pace SE recently - list price £79000, 3 months old 800 miles on the clock, reduced to £56000 and it still didn’t sell and went to the car auction!) I’m not a fan of Firenze Red and especially not the red interior it had so didn’t follow it up, but the same dealer has a Fuji White with Ebony interior one now as a demo so it will be up for sale in a few months time. The new Tesla 3 has just gone on sale and gets a 5* rating from the magazines, it has AWD and >310 miles range on a charge as well as 0-62 in 4.8secs so you could burn up SVR’s if you wanted to. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #580701 Sun May 12 2019 5:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cunny678

riverblanche wrote:

Played with the pcp figures just to get residual values (both at £74k) after 2 years P400e is £48000 and 306 is £43500 and after 3 years P400e is £41000 and 306 is near £40000

Thumbs Up

Have you had a look at leasing? Monthly costs are cheaper than PCP and you can hand it back at the end of the term. With the way battery technology is moving, I'm not sure many people will want a hybrid that only has low 20's range in 3 years time.

Post #580904 Thu May 16 2019 11:15am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
no, not looked at leasing, had got some pcp figures and was using them to see what the residual values looked like

agree the way things move forward 3 years time it may be a bit of a risk to buy outright Question

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #581053 Sat May 18 2019 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1