Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Suspension - No access/ Extended mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

GSJ

Wales 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Suspension - No access/ Extended mode

Hi All,

Googled and searched for this but thought id put it out there to see if anyone experienced the same symptoms.

Picked up car on Friday (1st Mar) and tested suspension, up and down (access and extended modes) all ok. Then Sat (2nd March) it wouldn't go into Access Mode. It stated lowering then went into Extended Mode.

Checked underneath, nothing blocking.

So I can lower the car to Standard Ride, but it still seems high in the rear, even though the 4x4 settings screen indicate sensors are all level in Standard ride height.

Anyway, any thoughts as to why one day working, one day not? Before I take to garage wanted some of your thoughts and possible check I can do before opening the wallet to get ripped off.

Thanks in advance folks

Gareth

Post #576348 Mon Mar 04 2019 2:07pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The suspension compressor contains an air dryer element. When sucking fresh air in to pressurise the system, the air travels through the compressor, through the air dryer and into the suspension system. When the system is being depressurised to lower the vehicle, the air travels back through the dryer before being exhausted to atmosphere. This is to expel any built up moisture in the dryer.

What happens is, over time, the desiccant in the air dryer breaks down to a fine powder and this can block the filters in the air dryer itself which can prevent the air from being expelled at a fast enough rate. When the car detects that it's taking too long to lower, it detects this as being bottomed out and so it lifts the suspension to extended mode. In addition to the dryer being clogged with the desiccant powder, the powder could also have been pumped through the air lines to the valve blocks, of which there are three - one at the front for the front air springs, one at the rear for the rear air springs and one in the middle for the air tank.

I have the same problem as you and I attempted to fix it last week. I reconditioned the air compressor with new seals, piston rings and new desiccant, which had indeed turned to powder and the filters were all clogged up. This didn't resolve the issue however, so I am now going to check the valve blocks to see if the powder is clogging the valves up.

I hope this helps. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #576351 Mon Mar 04 2019 2:25pm
GSJ

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Silly question, but I did give the car a good pressure wash under arches and around the car on sat (avoided the parking sensors Thumbs Up ). Could a good deal of excess moisture caused this issue?

Just wondering if I put car in heated garage for a few days would it resolve the potential moisture in the system?

Just thinking out loud as its odd that it worked on Friday, then after good clean and no other driving or playing with the car, its started to play up.

ps - lovely ar you have there Smile

Post #576356 Mon Mar 04 2019 2:35pm
knwatkins

Thanks - it's a pity it's off the road waiting for a new engine Crying or Very sad

That's interesting and in all honesty, I wouldn't have thought that pressure washing would have had any effect on the air suspension system. If anything, water would be more than likely to mess with the height sensors, but you say they all look right on the 4x4 screen. Mine also look good on the 4x4 screen which is why I think mine is related to the air side of things and not electrical (sensors).

I suppose a bit of time in a heated garage wouldn't do any harm and would be worth a try just in case! Kev

Post #576362 Mon Mar 04 2019 3:41pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

D|o you have any red blocks above the wheels on the screen when its lowered /extended Thumbs Up

Post #576363 Mon Mar 04 2019 3:49pm
GSJ

New engine?! Oh no!! What happened? I’m just looking around for a garage to do my cam belt - aux belt service. I’m a bit worried about the engine too, and hearing your news makes me verrrrry nervous Sad

Worth looking into a warranty I guess?

G

knwatkins wrote:
Thanks - it's a pity it's off the road waiting for a new engine Crying or Very sad

That's interesting and in all honesty, I wouldn't have thought that pressure washing would have had any effect on the air suspension system. If anything, water would be more than likely to mess with the height sensors, but you say they all look right on the 4x4 screen. Mine also look good on the 4x4 screen which is why I think mine is related to the air side of things and not electrical (sensors).

I suppose a bit of time in a heated garage wouldn't do any harm and would be worth a try just in case!

Post #576364 Mon Mar 04 2019 4:20pm
GSJ

Hi there,

Nope, no red block in 4x4 settings screen, which I was pleased about but gutted the car won’t lower, but it would the day before?! What’s more puzzling is that the car hasn’t been used used than a good clean and pressure wash under the arches.

geoffsnook wrote:
D|o you have any red blocks above the wheels on the screen when its lowered /extended Thumbs Up

Post #576365 Mon Mar 04 2019 4:22pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Had this last month after pressure washing. I drove to a mates house, left the car for 5 mins and when I started again, it had cleared. I think it was a height sensor but didn’t have any red bars on the 4x4 screen 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #576367 Mon Mar 04 2019 5:00pm
GSJ

That's really interesting!

just piecing bits of the jigsaw together... i did look in the wheel wells yesterday (Sunday) and on rear drivers side wheel well by the chassis was, what looked like, a sensor which appeared to be a bit loose, ie it was attached to stop it swinging around...and also, it didn't appear to have much insulation around it.

so i wrapped into pcv tape and tried to locate it where it wouldn't flap around or pinch on anything...

I have no idea what this 'sensor' is or whether its actually a sensor.

I'll take a pic and post on here later to see if anyone recognises what it is and whether it could be cause of the problem

Just thinking that if it as loose and not insulated properly, a blast from pressure washer couldn't have Censored it up?! well, that's my logic.

Really hoping its not much more serious as it was working great Friday and ive not used the car - just gave it a good blast with pressure washer

G

Post #576371 Mon Mar 04 2019 5:27pm
knwatkins

GSJ wrote:
New engine?! Oh no!! What happened? I’m just looking around for a garage to do my cam belt - aux belt service. I’m a bit worried about the engine too, and hearing your news makes me verrrrry nervous Sad

Worth looking into a warranty I guess?

G

Yes, I suspect a spun main bearing unfortunately Crying or Very sad Here is a link to my post on the Disco forum... https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/another-30-...78607.html

Concerning the belts, they aren't too much trouble to do yourself if you are a DIYer. I did mine back in October.

Concerning the height sensor, they are a little plastic arm. Like this...
 Kev

Post #576385 Mon Mar 04 2019 8:40pm
GSJ

Oh man, that noise is sickening.

Did you have that on your RRS and your disco or just your disco?

I wish I could do the belts myself but I’m far from technically capable/ confident.

£64k question but is there much in relation to preventative measures you can take to prevent engine from going pop?

Mine is 2010 and 65k on the clock. Looking for local inde to get belts, aux and pretty much everything else done so I can keep it a few years.

I maybe going off piste a bit here, but any recommendations are most welcome.

Ps, thanks for the replies mate Thumbs Up

Post #576387 Mon Mar 04 2019 8:54pm
knwatkins

No problem at all mate. I'm from Newport originally and if I was still around that neck of the woods I would have offered to do the belts for you.

The videos in my post on the Disco forum is not my car. It's another forum members car but my RRS makes exactly the same noise. Mine is the same year and engine as yours - 3.0 TDV6 MY2010. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do in terms of preventative maintenance because the cause has never been released by JLR. Regular engine and autobox oil changes are recommended, but even then, the unthinkable can happen unfortunately.

I'll be doing 6 month oil changes as a minimum when I get the car back. It's going to Oval Autos later this month for a recon engine. Kev

Post #576391 Mon Mar 04 2019 9:23pm
GSJ

True gent. Thank you

Everything will work out ok.

Will post with an update when I learn a bit more and find the solution.

All the best

Gareth

Post #576405 Tue Mar 05 2019 12:39am
knwatkins

Did you get this sorted after Gareth?

After rebuilding my compressor, it made a hell of a noise so I ended up fitting a new Dunlop one which is silent. I still have the same problem and my next step is to clean out the valve blocks and put new seals in. Kev

Post #578482 Fri Apr 05 2019 9:20pm
knwatkins

I cleaned out and installed new seals on the front valve block of mine today.

Still didn't fix the problem Big Cry Kev

Post #578519 Sat Apr 06 2019 8:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>