Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Creaking steering/suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

HaggisMan

United Kingdom 
Creaking steering/suspension

So, here we go again...

With barely 2600 miles on the clock and less than 5 months old, my RRS has started creaking badly from the front steering / suspension. It’s getting really noisy over the last couple of days and sounds like what happened to an old Mini Metro I had 25 years ago when the suspension bushes needed replaced. I’ll phone the dealer in the morning as it’s due in in two weeks for the creaking/rattling headliner, but this car is rapidly turning into a nightmare. Build quality it total Censored compared to German cars I’ve had for years and is totally spoiling the driving experience.

Anyone else had the same issue?

Post #579923 Mon Apr 29 2019 6:02pm
bradtarga34

Strangely enough mine has started doing this as well noticeably from the front drivers side but normally noticeable when it is cold outside then seems to get better once warmed up, be interesting to know what you can find out, mine has just over 2 K on the clock...

Post #579934 Mon Apr 29 2019 8:19pm
HaggisMan

United Kingdom 

It seems to be the drivers side for me too, but doesn’t seem to be temperature related. It was dreadful this afternoon and sounded like the whole front end was affected but had gone in the evening...🥴. Also seems to be steering related as it creaks and “wheezes” when I turn the wheel when at slow speeds. I must say, this crappy build quality is effing annoying, especially when you spend over £70k on a new car!! Will let you know in due course once it’s been into the dealers

Post #579937 Mon Apr 29 2019 8:42pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

This is probably not related as I'm comparing new RRSs with my 2008 - but for the improvement of knowledge ( Shocked ), many of us with older cars do get squeaking from the front anti roll bar bushes. Mine are especially bad after a long dry spell of weather (as now in the South East). At slow speeds and over uneven ground, they squeak like a tortured duck. The fix is to squirt WD40 on the bushes. Not something I think you should be doing with a new car! Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #579955 Tue Apr 30 2019 6:28am
bradtarga34

HaggisMan wrote:
It seems to be the drivers side for me too, but doesn’t seem to be temperature related. It was dreadful this afternoon and sounded like the whole front end was affected but had gone in the evening...🥴. Also seems to be steering related as it creaks and “wheezes” when I turn the wheel when at slow speeds. I must say, this crappy build quality is effing annoying, especially when you spend over £70k on a new car!! Will let you know in due course once it’s been into the dealers

Mine is most noticeable going over speed bumps, almost sounds like thick plastic or something rubbing on the wheel, look forward to hearing back on the diagnosis of yours, not good though...

Post #579958 Tue Apr 30 2019 7:40am
HaggisMan

United Kingdom 

Managed to get it into the dealers tomorrow and will pick it up (hopefully!) on Friday so will let you know what they diagnose. However even if it’s nothing major it just shouldn’t be happening on a new, expensive, supposedly premium car

Post #579965 Tue Apr 30 2019 8:49am
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

Hi Haggisman

My car has been in recently with this exact problem. It sounded like the front end of the car was broken, driving along with squeaks and creaks a plenty.

Anti roll bar bushes were replaced under warranty and all fine now so sounds like an easy ish fix for you too. Doesn't take away from the poor build quality etc.

Even more amusing was the courtesy car had warnings flashing up regarding forward alert system failure the day I was driving it. What can you do when you own a Land Rover? Rolling with laughter

Post #579968 Tue Apr 30 2019 10:10am
HaggisMan

United Kingdom 

That’s sounds like it and what I suspected it might be. It’s creaking and squeaking like some old London taxi cab with a million miles on the clock and is actually embarrassing to drive when it’s got a 68 plate on it!

Hopefully an easy fix but it shouldn’t ever be needed at this age. God knows what the car wi’ll be like after 3 years and 25k miles! I’ve certainly have gone off the idea of keeping it even one day after the warranty expires, as it’s clear where JLR have made their redundancies from - it must be the QC department😂

Post #579971 Tue Apr 30 2019 10:35am
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

post back and let us know if that was the case once its fixed.

I hear what you are saying, so embarrassing when my car started to do it, an old £800 fiesta wouldn't do it so why should an £80k RRS do it

what makes it worse for us is Mrs Chunk has an Evoque so a double whammy, 2 unreliable cars in the family Laughing

Post #579972 Tue Apr 30 2019 11:06am
MrMeg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Mine done this, the front bushes are prone to prematurely split apparently! Mine were replaced with arms under warranty.

Although mine is 3 years old I heard a rumour of a SVR needing it done very early on.

Post #580117 Thu May 02 2019 9:54am
HaggisMan

United Kingdom 

19 weeks and 2600 miles is certainly VERY early for ANYTHING to fail, let alone suspension components which are supposedly designed to tackled rough terrain and therefore should be rather more robust than your average suspension (although the only time it’s been off road is when it’s been at the dealers!!) I’ll hopefully get the car back tomorrow so will give an update on what the issue was and how they’ve fixed it.

Post #580120 Thu May 02 2019 10:10am
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

same can be said about the new front brakes which are very poor, cost cutting measures don't always pay off

Post #580121 Thu May 02 2019 10:15am
MrMeg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

HaggisMan wrote:
19 weeks and 2600 miles is certainly VERY early for ANYTHING to fail, let alone suspension components which are supposedly designed to tackled rough terrain and therefore should be rather more robust than your average suspension (although the only time it’s been off road is when it’s been at the dealers!!) I’ll hopefully get the car back tomorrow so will give an update on what the issue was and how they’ve fixed it.

I agree and if you take in account how much these cars cost you'd expect a premium bullet proof car right? Otherwise what's the point other than looking nice. I have to admit I do love mine but would love it more if I knew it would be trouble free for a while now.

Post #580134 Thu May 02 2019 12:56pm
HaggisMan

United Kingdom 

Totally agree! The odd niggle is forgivable, even on a pricey car, given the inherent complexity of the car and its electronics, but suspension creaking is basic, fundamental stuff that should go wrong for years and 100k+ miles.

Having hankered after a RRS for years and finally indulged in one, I’m really shocked and disappointed with the build quality. The car itself is brilliant and I love driving it, but you feel you’re just waiting for something else to go wrong. I fear it may be my first and last one - I can spend my money elsewhere with less hassle!

Post #580138 Thu May 02 2019 5:25pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

I could have written the above post word for word. Had mine for five months and it's been in and out of the dealership since Feb. Love driving it but utterly fed up with it. Wife is picking it up again on Sat but if it ain't right they can have it back. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #580146 Thu May 02 2019 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>