RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Buying my first RR 2006, help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mgtow127@gmail.com wrote:
The L494 (RRS2) is designed to be what it is from the ground up, the first RRS sport is basically a Discovery but smaller. It was designed around previously existing platform, unlike the newer RRS2.

L494 is a modified Full Fat RR (L405) if you want to get all picky about it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #579587 Wed Apr 24 2019 11:41pm
RRSTDV8

Phillw454 wrote:

Hi, what are you budgeting the £1500 a year on? A service as I understand is around 3-600ish each year. Baring any faults and a clean MOT what else are you spending on? Also what did you replace in the first 6 months? Thanks.

At 110k miles, I would be expecting suspension bushes to need replacing for a start. I would flush the gearbox too. Check that the service history includes transfer box and diff oil changes at appropriate intervals and factor those in too possibly. I'd get them done anyway just to be sure as they're pretty cheap to do. Check the tyres fitted and, if they're cheap Chinese rubbish, budget to change to a decent brand. RRS is heavy and can tyre sensitive. Sliding in the wet / cold conditions is a real underwear moment!
If the vehicle has Dynamic Response (hydraulic anti roll bars) be aware that they can leak and they're a big bill to replace. That'll blow the £1500 on its own. For one bar. Check underneath for leaks after the test drive. Unscrupulous jet washing of the underside to hide leaks isn't unknown. A drive at least give the major ones to show themselves again. Check the transfer box drive flange seals and the rear diff input and output seals. Check for general leaks as some bits are covered by plates and not directly visible. Check breathers are connected. A loose breather might have blown off because it is blocked. A blown off breather increases the risk of water / crud getting in to the diffs, gearbox and transfer box.

Otherwise, factor for the usual stuff for a middle aged vehicle - air con regassing, brake fluid change, posdible flexible brake line replacement etc. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #579588 Wed Apr 24 2019 11:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would add that if the car has a tow hitch fitted (they can be fixed or removable) check the quality of the gear changes - should be smooth and imperceptable) - these cars can be used to haul heavy loads and many do but a lot of towing takes a toll on the transmission eventually. If there is a removable tow hitch check that it was replaced under the recall that ended recently as there were reports of them falling out under load. Conversely if there is a removable tow hitch in the socket get the vendor to remove it - often they just get left in and they can corrode in the socket and won’t come out without heat and a big hammer.. if the removable hitch is in place make sure that you also receive the plate that covers the hole in the bumper when you remove the hitch. Also make sure that you receive the keys for the lock on the mechanism for removable hitches! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #579590 Thu Apr 25 2019 4:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tom_w_27

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Phillw454 wrote:
Tom_w_27 wrote:
I was in the same boat as you 6months ago. I was dead set on owning one but the horror stories put me off.
I went ahead and purchased mine 06 HSE v6 113k mileage.
My advice would be if there's any doubt, the car hasn't been 100% cherished walk away.
Service history is vital, make sure it drives as it should, everything works etc.
There is a lot of dogs out there, a £5k purchase can soon turn into an £7-8k spend, these cars require constant maintenance.
I've spent £2k on maintenance in the first 6months, I consider that reasonable.
Fingers crossed that should subside a bit from now on, £1-1500 a year.

Hi, what are you budgeting the £1500 a year on? A service as I understand is around 3-600ish each year. Baring any faults and a clean MOT what else are you spending on? Also what did you replace in the first 6 months? Thanks.

That's exactly the point, you will have yearly faults. These cars require constant maintenance.

I've replaced; alternator (denso) battery, all rear brake pipes and hoses, front and rear prop, full service all the oils and filters. Gearbox, axle, transfer, tyres, bushes That's just off the top of my head.

They are very good cars in my opinion, but if your somebody who loathes the thought of spending money on a car.
Buy something else Thumbs Up

Post #579592 Thu Apr 25 2019 10:19am
Mgtow127@gmail.com

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The L494 (RRS2) is designed to be what it is from the ground up, the first RRS sport is basically a Discovery but smaller. It was designed around previously existing platform, unlike the newer RRS2.

L494 is a modified Full Fat RR (L405) if you want to get all picky about it.

It’s not a modified L405 at all, although they share the same platform. The L320 is literally a Disco 3 in a new set of clothes an a few hem lines and waist lines fudged to make it fit. In my humble opinion.

But if people want one they should get one, but now they’re down in the £5k price range buyers need to do a lot of research an have a good Indy before they even consider buying one.

Post #579596 Thu Apr 25 2019 12:11pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Mogwi,,,RRSTDV8 said the L494 is based on the full fat NOT the L320,you need to read the post fully daft lad. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #579598 Thu Apr 25 2019 12:48pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The platform was clearly designed for both D3 and RRS1. They were released within a year of each other.

I don't know why people are snobbish about it being a D3 platform.
I would much rather have a RRS1 than a full Fat RR of say a 2005, as the RRS is about 5 years ahead in design and styling than the FF.

Post #579615 Thu Apr 25 2019 5:41pm
Mgtow127@gmail.com

United Kingdom 

No offence but you’re not seriously saying the RRS1 looks good? It’s aged awfully, when I see one now it looks like something from 1970 made by Volvo. But I agree maybe 14 years ago when it was released or even 6 years ago when it ceased being produced it looked ok. But not now.

Just like a 05 X5, they look dated.

ENJOY

https://image-cdn.beforward.jp/large/20190...690acc.jpg

Post #579621 Thu Apr 25 2019 6:57pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

All the grey plastic is not good, but what I said is, that it is better than the same age Full Fat RR

Post #579622 Thu Apr 25 2019 7:06pm
RRSTDV8

No offence but you’re not seriously saying the RRS1 looks good? It’s aged awfully

I think the original RRS was a good looking design and I think it still looks good. I think it's aged well. I do think it's colour sensitive, however. It looks good in grey, probably because LR put grey handles on it and they stand out oddly unless colour coded on other colours.

The design was a practical one - easily placed square corners when driving, for example, that look odd compared to today's curved designs. The newer designs are "trendy" but they will, by definition, age badly. The current crop all look the same and don't stand out as Land Rovers. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #579633 Thu Apr 25 2019 8:38pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

No offence but you’re not seriously saying the RRS1 looks good? It’s aged awfully, when I see one now it looks like something from 1970 made by Volvo. But I agree maybe 14 years ago when it was released or even 6 years ago when it ceased being produced it looked ok. But not now.

ENJOY

Jeezo. Not YOU again. Well, a RRS1 looks a whole lot better than some old dog of an ex Army skoda. It is probably the last RR that has a visual nod to the original RR which some will like others maybe not. Did you ever shift your heap of junk btw ?

Post #579641 Thu Apr 25 2019 9:49pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Well ive got to say even though Im now on my 3rd RRS2 I still like the look of the RRS1. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #579652 Fri Apr 26 2019 7:59am
SRE

Spain 

I'm with Andy, I love the new shape sports, however I have to admit I still like the old shape as well. So much so, I was tempted by a V8 a couple of weeks back In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #579655 Fri Apr 26 2019 9:01am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Same here, if I could have both I would.

Even though it’s old tech, I like having a separate chassis and body.

I’m not ashamed that my RRS shares the same platform as the Disco, they are both very capable. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #579656 Fri Apr 26 2019 9:06am
Mgtow127@gmail.com

United Kingdom 

Father Jack wrote:

ENJOY

Jeezo. Not YOU again. Well, a RRS1 looks a whole lot better than some old dog of an ex Army skoda. It is probably the last RR that has a visual nod to the original RR which some will like others maybe not. Did you ever shift your heap of junk btw ?

Fortunately I can still jump in the Wife’s Macan when the super Skoda isn’t up to the job.

Post #579661 Fri Apr 26 2019 10:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>