RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Gearbox Software Update on L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue
Gearbox Software Update on L494

Has anyone had a specific gearbox software update on an L494 and has it made a difference? (SDV6 Dynamic MY14)

If so, is it main dealer only and how long did it take? I seem to remember someone (Tim?) saying it was overnight but I may be mistaken...

Thanks in advance.

Post #576868 Mon Mar 11 2019 5:50pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes, in 2016 at its first service my SDv6 HSE Dynamic had a software upgrade done and it stopped that dying feeling the car had when trying to pull out of junctions and merge into roundabouts. It was so good I hardly needed to use Sport mode again during my ownership of the car. And yes the car was kept in overnight. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #576871 Mon Mar 11 2019 7:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Punkawallah

Thanks Tim - very helpful as always.

Sorry a few more qs!:

How long did the update take? Is it a specific gearbox software update or just a generic software update for the whole car - ie. engine/gearbox etc?

I'm worried I'll lose my DMS re-map if this is the case although they say they will re-install FOC just a pain to get it done again.

has anyone else experienced this update/improvement?

Thanks a lot

Post #576898 Tue Mar 12 2019 12:45pm
Tim in Scotland

It was done as part of the service updating Of software upgrades. It was also a gearbox ECU update so shouldn’t have any effect on the engine management ECU as far as I’m aware, but it was a long time ago and I ditched all the service records in December......... so cannot even go back to those to look. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #576899 Tue Mar 12 2019 1:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Punkawallah

Thanks again Tim - I’m booked in on Friday. Said it will be one hour’s labour. Interestingly he said that, as it’s a “learning gearbox”, if you bought the car from someone who drove very differently to you, it might be badly matched as it has “learnt” from this other owner. He was confident an update will make a big difference. Finally he confirmed it is gearbox ECU only and doesn’t touch the engine ECU.

Post #576914 Tue Mar 12 2019 8:00pm
Tim in Scotland

My car had less than 20 miles on the odo when it was handed over in London, I was the first and only owner although I took a car that was built two days after I said I would take it, it was meant to be a car for a director at the dealership..... so it had jazzy bits I didn’t want like 22” wheels (which turned out to be ok even off road) but was missing things like a heated steering wheel that I consider more of an essential for a car that lived outside (it wasn’t even an option on the mini, but that does have extremely efficient electrically poweded park heating!). Having said that you can wipe the gearbox memory with a service when they disconnect the battery....... so I suppose you could try that! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #576919 Tue Mar 12 2019 10:44pm
GregP

Australia 

Hi Punkawallah,
I would be very interested in any reference/bulletin number that pertains to the update, so I can go to my dealer and ask for the ....... gearbox ECU update. Otherwise I doubt that they will be able to figure out what I am asking about. Thanks in advance.
....Greg MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #576924 Wed Mar 13 2019 1:04am
Punkawallah

Hi Greg - I will ask on Friday and let you know after the weekend.

Really hoping this gets rid of the "roundabout approach fear" and delay/lag pulling out of junctions which I still have despite my (otherwise-excellent) engine ECU remap.

I also feel the gearbox changes down too early sometimes when I press the accelerator gently (i.e. to pull out into fast-lane on motorway) - I often feel it should hold onto the gear longer and use the engine's torque - having driven a new VW Tiguan hire car recently, the DCT on that car was very impressive on this front...in fact it was quite an impressive little car all round!

Post #576927 Wed Mar 13 2019 10:29am
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

+ 1

Keen to hear how you get on and details of the update if it fixes that really annoying acceleration delay.

Thanks
Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #576929 Wed Mar 13 2019 10:50am
Tim in Scotland

Your 2016MY should have had that update added on the production line as it was released in early 2016 unless your car is a late 2015 build 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #576940 Wed Mar 13 2019 12:46pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

gtr_skyline wrote:
+ 1

Keen to hear how you get on and details of the update if it fixes that really annoying acceleration delay.

Thanks
Prashan

Hi Tim - its a late 2015 build sadly. MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #576945 Wed Mar 13 2019 1:57pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Ive just emailed the dealer im picking mine up from on fri & asked them to do the gearbox update if they already haven't as the are servicing it & I noticed they mot'd it yesterday. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #576950 Wed Mar 13 2019 3:47pm
harisson

Switzerland 

Does someone have a release number of this SW? is it possible to check it via the hidden menu of the entertainment system?

Mine is a MY16 but build in October 15.
I suppose that from LR the SW was not installed and I don't know if there was an update during services

Generally I am happy with the gearbox. Sometimes I use the paddle to shift down, because on 80km/h the motor is at 1100,1200 rpms... and I don't want to kick it down when the motor is cold... Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #576990 Thu Mar 14 2019 11:50am
HXM

United Kingdom 

Interested to know the outcome as well. The roundabout thing is highly annoying.. MY15.5 HSE - SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #577263 Sun Mar 17 2019 7:51pm
Punkawallah

Ok, had the update done.

I was very well looked after by Jack at Westover Salisbury - it took about 1 hour including a full valet of the car! I was charged for 40 mins labour.

Annoyingly it has wiped my DMS remap (which they will reinstall this week for free) as they updated gearbox and “PCM” software but first impressions are positive.

Gearbox seems to change up through the gears earlier in all modes, if throttle is floored it won’t change down quite as many gears as before and therefore it seems to exploit the mid-range torque and power better than before for overtaking etc.

The roundabout issue is still there but perhaps seems a little better - the gearbox will still be “learning” my driving style so we will see.

Full update once I have my DMS remap back on again!

Hope this is helpful

Post #577299 Mon Mar 18 2019 11:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>