Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > 2013 RR iPhone NOT Working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

pomistea

Ireland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
2013 RR iPhone NOT Working

HI

I had a search around but couldn't find the answer...

Recently bought a 2013 RRS. Very happy with it, but can't cope with the stereo.
At the very start, I connected my iPhone X by bluetooth and it worked, then it stopped.
I tried the USB and iPod USB sockets, they charge but nothing else.
I've read about solutions involving an adapter for the iPod socket?

Ideally, I'd like to have as much iPhone functionality as possibly through the stereo. Is it possible to replace with some sort of aftermarket CarPlay stereo, one made for the RRS?

Post #614275 Thu Jun 03 2021 7:54pm
pomistea

Ireland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

For anyone who is in a similar postition:

1. Bluetooth music streaming seems to work fine, once you do not plug in the phone to any of the USB ports

2. I ended up buying a retro CarPlay fit, it's not the cheapest, but it seems fairly well made, has clear fitting instructions and most importantly, allows you to leave the RR dash exactly as it was.
Basically, it comes as a black box (computer) that you wire inline between the existing screen and the controls.
You don't get a new screen with it, it just gives you CarPlay, like a fancy firmware upgrade.
You access CarPlay by hitting the existing Nav button, this allows you to toggle between CarPlay and the existing (old) stereo menu.
It's proper CarPlay, works fine bar one small annoyance. Having the stereo displaying CarPlay is not the same as hearing CarPlay, you need to have the sound output set to Aux, otherwise, you can be looking at your music playing on Amazon Music or whatever, but you might be hearing the radio. Not a big deal really, I mean in ways, it's good, cos you can cycle the audio though radio / CD / DAB / CarPLay, while leaving CarPlay on screen for Nav or whatever

One additional bonus, it comes with Bluetooth CarPlay. Any other CarPlay units I've used, you have to have the iPhone plugged into the stereo via USB, there are solutions like cplay2air, which cost about £80, so it's nice that this unit comes with this built in.

The unit also works with Android phones, but I don't know what's that like, I haven't tried it.

Post #614589 Wed Jun 09 2021 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1