RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Media storage / playing through rear headrest screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Salmon&permit

England 
Media storage / playing through rear headrest screen

I purchased in July 2017 a new RRS (PHEV), with the rear seat / headrest media package. While I can play DVDs via the in-car DVD player and watch TV on the rear screens, what I really want to do is for kids to be able to watch TV shows and movies I have downloaded from Netflix/Amazon or downloaded from my DVD collection.

I don’t want to carry my laptop around in the car; so, what is the best device to download movies and TV shows onto, that I can then plug into the car either via the HDMI link or the USB ports[/b], so that it can then be watched with ease in the back of the car? I have a 15 month old son and our journeys would be much better if I could get him watching Peppa Pig!!

Do I just need to buy a storage device (some of the 2TB ones look reasonable value) or do I need something else? What have other people on this Forum used?

What I don’t want to discover and will feel like a fool.....is that I would have been better off not getting the built in screens, but just hanging an iPad off the back of the headrest!

Thanks.....

Post #572373 Fri Jan 04 2019 11:29am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

While I cannot help specifically for your model as I have a 2012 I hope my experience helps...

I posted this a while ago when trying to get downloaded movies to work from a USB stick, this is for a 2012 so may or may not help you...

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic42231.html

In my experience of the 2012 version of the rear entertainment I have found it hard with my 2yr old for the following reasons:

You need to use the rear remote to put a movie on, therefore when putting kids in the car you need to get the remote out from the middle seat and start playing the movie before you set off, once finished you will need to get the remote again to play another. As you can't see the screen to see what you are doing you will need to wait until you stop to play another movie.This may be different in your model.

When playing movies from a USB stick you the sound only plays through the headphones provided, I have not been able to find a way to play them through the car speakers. Trying to keep headphones on a 2yr old I have found to be impossible. This may be different in your model.

Therefore we now just keep a stack of DVD's in the front so we can control the screen from the front for my son, otherwise he just has an iPad int he back to keep him entertained.

All this may be completely irrelevant to you in the newer model but hope it helps.

I'm just waiting for him to be old enough to have the remote and control it himself.

Post #572455 Sat Jan 05 2019 3:30pm
Damo1606

United Kingdom 

Hi. I am in the middle of getting rear headrest monitors installed.
I have totally gone of the screens fitted into the leather headrests as most of them only play dvd and to be honest, who actually uses dvd anymore?
Instead, I have found a very reputable company on the internet who also have a shop on ebay. They are American and ship worldwide.
What I am looking at is an android screen that attached to the rear of the headrest and can play saved videos, Netflix, YouTube and even a dvd player for just in case. This company also does even thinner android screens without dvd. Well worth having a look at.
I will be ordering mine soon.
Owww and it even has the Land Rover logo on start up!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALFA10D-Smart-Rea...78ecac5db9

Post #572528 Sun Jan 06 2019 9:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1