RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > About to buy 2012 SDV6...any tips?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hardwire

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black
About to buy 2012 SDV6...any tips?

Hello guys'n'girls

So about to dip my toes into the world of owning a RRS, I have test driven a few now and settled on this particular one and deposit is down and will arrange to collect after a scuff on the body has been touched up.

My questions are as follows:

I am not one to get my hard very dirty to be fair, but on a petrol car, I know the usual things to check for...but this will be my first diesel. I took it for a test drive and it drives fine (from cold) no smoke, picks up and stops well and steers straight even under heavy braking. Lifts and lowers fine (like a camel, but all of the ones I tested seem to) and user electrics seem to be fine.

What else should I be checking? It's from a dealer who generally sells higher end cars and seems to take a lot of pride in the quality of what he sells (and his showroom is attached to his home, so unlikely to want annoyed customers at his door). Coming with a warranty and will be on finance who will also have something to say if anything is wrong.

Am I just worrying too much?

Once that is out of the way, I would be looking to get it remapped soon (yes I know it's not bad, but coming from much faster petrol cars I would like to squeeze out anything I can performance wise). 2012 SD HSE Lux, 98k on the clock with full LR history and apart from the scuff on one mirror, it's in fantastic condition. I would also be looking for recommendations for servicing in west London (not main dealer at this point I guess).

Apart from that, hello and thank you all in advance for any tips of guidance you may offer, and yes I have not only tried the search function for bits and bobs, but made a point of trying to read all of the posts on the first 20 pages of this forum to try and get up to speed lol.

Post #571980 Sun Dec 30 2018 2:06pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Only one: don't!

Read http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic52892.html and then re-think your decision.

If you don't do much mileage, get the petrol V8, but if you have to have a diesel, get the TDV8. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #571981 Sun Dec 30 2018 2:14pm
Hardwire

Well...that's a worry, how common is this? As a percentage of the cars out there is there any idea how many have gone bang?

I owed an RX8 in the past, seems that I like to pick cars that are known to self detonate.

Need to dig around a bit more today Sad

Yes heart set on this one, and I do the miles to warrant a diesel, plus I have been very specific about wanting the 2012 facelift etc so tdv8 was not an option (or I totally would have picked it in the first place lol)

Post #571984 Sun Dec 30 2018 3:00pm
Autobiography1969

England 

You wont get positive replies on the www. these places are generally where
people go to have a whine and a moan or to find a fix to all things that go wrong,

As a member of many forums over the years 95% of all posts are about issues,
2.5% are general chat and information,
2.5% is about the people on here,,

There are known issues with these cars, as there are with all cars,
but I have yet to here the answer to your questions..
"how common is this? As a percentage of the cars out there is there any idea how many have gone bang? "

I read in several places to stay clear of the 2.7 engine as it was riddled with issues,
so I went for the 3.0, low mileage and the best spec I could afford..

Then I came here and was told to stay away for the 3.0, and get a 5.0 Petrol version.

These are the Ford engines that JLR and others have used

3.0D/TDV6/SDV6/HDi
Engine configuration & engine displacement
60-degree V6 engine, twin-turbo diesel, 2,993 cc (183 cu in), bore x stroke 84.0 mm × 90.0 mm (3.31 in × 3.54 in), compression ratio 16.4:1

Cylinder block & crankcase
Compacted graphite iron cross bolted block

Cylinder heads & valvetrain
High strength aluminium, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder

Aspiration
Twin-turbochargers with air-to-air intercooler, electronically actuated variable geometry with transient over-boost capability, port deactivation system

Fuel system & engine management
Siemens Common rail (CR) direct diesel injection, maximum injection pressure of 2,000 bars (29,000 psi), piezo injectors

DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs
177 kW (237 hp), 450 N⋅m (330 lbf⋅ft) – Citroën C5, Citroën C6, Peugeot 407, Peugeot 407 Coupé
177 kW (237 hp), 500 N⋅m (370 lbf⋅ft) – Jaguar XF, Land Rover Discovery 4, Range Rover Sport
187 kW (251 hp), 600 N⋅m (440 lbf⋅ft) – Land Rover Discovery 4, Range Rover Sport
202 kW (271 hp), 600 N⋅m (440 lbf⋅ft) – Jaguar XF, Jaguar XJ, Range Rover
221 kW (296 hp), 700 N⋅m (520 lbf⋅ft) – Jaguar XJ, Range Rover Velar
225 kW (302 hp), 700 N⋅m (520 lbf⋅ft) – Range Rover Sport

Yours should be either of the red ones,Probably the 187Kw one...

Like everything else in life mate, you really don't know whats around the corner,
if the knowledgeable facts are enough to put you off then good luck with your search,
but if you read all the info just be sure its your choice and with any car that's done 98k
there is potential for issues around the very next corner..

I have only had mine for 3 months, but any faults aside, its a wonderful car and so far well
worth spending some inheritance on IMHO

Just save a little in the bank for things that may go wrong..

Any Pics by the way?? ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #571987 Sun Dec 30 2018 4:13pm
Hardwire

That's true, on the internet you tend to hear much more about the bad over the good points about anything in life....we accept and enjoy the good and complain about the bad.

That said, the first reply posted something to be fully aware of and ensure the warranty covers the crankshaft and that I extend it once the initial period is over. I was in a similar position with the RX8 (to those unaware it too has a very very very prevalent engine destruction issue and it appears to affect...something like 50%+ of the cars on the road...so I am not risk-averse, so crossing lots of fingers and toes.

In terms of the engine, its the SDV6 so it will be the 251HP model if I understand things correctly and certainly gets going for a big old car that's for sure (to be fair I am coming from a A3 with a 3.2 v6 petrol currently and wife drives a Phev) so my experience is mixed in terms of performance.

Pictures to follow, I will not pick it up from the dealer for a couple of days as they are touching up a scuff on a door mirror and refurbing the alloys one has light kerbing and giving them some black paint to match the car....pics possibly next weekend if the weather is good. Very Happy

Post #572011 Sun Dec 30 2018 8:25pm
Buster007

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What colour is it inside and out? Any extras?
I've had a few sports, just purchased my third sport which I'm collecting tomorrow morning! 2012 SDV6 Lux Pk with 51k on the clock in black with black leather and white contrast stitching... Thumbs Up
I'm planning a remap either by Alive or Bell Auto Services (site sponsor) Also get the timer/remote Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) software installed so I can heat the car on cold mornings before I get in. Here's the thread if you missed it?

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic52890.html

Bet your looking forward to collecting it? Don't forget to post pictures we love pictures... Bow down There's a lot of information and help from other members on this site so your in the right place 'Welcome and thanks for joining'.... Thumbs Up Cheers Laurence.

Post #572013 Sun Dec 30 2018 9:01pm
Hardwire

Hey Buster,

Sounds like mine is very similar, black with black leather (white contrast stitching) hi line (not logic 7 sadly) with a good few more miles on mine lol.

Attached is a quick snap I took as I was leaving it, showing mainly for the wheels which are having a little refurb and being painted black as going for the full-on "drug dealer" look lol

You are absolutely right, I can't wait...but I will not get it before the weekend because of the work I am having done. Next I will consider sidesteps...in two minds as I wanted them at first, but almost get in the way getting in and out for me, but the wife likes them. Lastly, like you, I will be considering an Alive remap if I can find someone local (west London)

As for the members, already making me feel welcome which is nice and akin to some owners clubs I have joined in the past Very Happy

Post #572018 Sun Dec 30 2018 9:54pm
Buster007

Hardwire,
Good choice in colour black on black with white contrast I think looks lovely. My last two sports were grey with black leather and I absolutely loved them. This time I wanted black for a change, they look lovely when clean... Laughing

There are a few bits like the Logic 7 mine is missing but it was in such lovely condition that I really couldn't turn it down. I've got the side steps on the one I'm buying already fitted which I've had to fit to my last two sports I find them really handy, most members on here I think have them? I'd have fitted them if it didn't already have them.

As for the wheels I'll be changing mine for the five spoke alloys (Super Charger wheels) in silver I really like them.

As for the remap I had an Alive remap on my Defender 90 and it really changed the vehicle for the better!! Not heard a bad word said on here about Alive from anybody that has had theirs mapped by them. There's also a site sponsor 'Bell' who is very well respected especially with the maps but I'm sure it's an EUC out job to do it? I've just contacted Bodsy on here I think he does the Bell remap for you at your home but I'm still waiting to hear back from him with details and a price?

This is a great place to be the guys are a very friendly bunch and very helpful with lots of knowledge which they are very willing to share sometimes with easy to follow pictures for simple folk like me... Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Cheers Laurence.

Post #572031 Sun Dec 30 2018 10:44pm
Hardwire

Rear screens too, I have not seen them on a post-2009 myself....look great.

I have a strong feeling that this will not be my first and last RRS....I am sure once the SVR's come down in price I will have paid this one off and be hankering for a bit more speed Very Happy

For a number of reasons, I had to pull the trigger now (about to change job which may have caused issues with the finance) otherwise I would have held on a little longer for the perfect one. For now, I have one with very few compromises or at least ones I can live with/out if you get me.

Super keen to get it now and looking forward to the next "lads" trip to France (me and a couple of friends shoot over to random towns for a night away from the wives and children a few times a year) as this car is perfect for bringing back a few bottles too

Post #572034 Sun Dec 30 2018 11:04pm
Eskimo

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hardwire, I too went for the full on Drug Dealer look...........it's the best in my opinion. Here's mine after a post Christmas spruce up yesterday. The previous owner even had all the trim colour coded and the side step silver trim done, although this appears to be coming off wheere they have been stone chipped on the front edge.

Not sure if i'll keep the side steps or not if I cant find a decent way to keep the paint on them Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

This is my first RRS but 3rd Green Oval, just something about them.........

Post #572041 Mon Dec 31 2018 12:28am
Hardwire

OOOOhhhh.....yes glad I made this choice now...looks nice!

Post #572042 Mon Dec 31 2018 12:31am
Eskimo

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

You'll love it Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)
1999 Discovery 4.0 V8 (Gone but not forgotten)
1997 Range Rover 3.5 V8 (Long gone now)
1966 Series II SWB with RR 3.5 V8 (Never finished, now sold)

Post #572043 Mon Dec 31 2018 12:36am
SRE

Spain 

This was one I had in Spain, ultra low miles, only got shut of it as it had run out of warranty, and the thought of a 2-piece crankshaft.

Click image to enlarge
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #572052 Mon Dec 31 2018 10:57am
Buster007

Lovely Thumbs Up Cheers Laurence.

Post #572053 Mon Dec 31 2018 11:11am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

http://www.rrlondon.co.uk for servicing. Avoid main dealers.
Rovertune in Reading too Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #572055 Mon Dec 31 2018 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>