RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Should I upgrade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Should I upgrade?

I've been running my '07 tdv8 sport for a couple of years now and done about 25k, absolutely love the car. I've been offered a 2010 facelifted tdv8 sport in blue/purple on 93k, which looks fantastic. I can't decide if I should upgrade, mine now has got 145k on it and I figure I either need to sell it now or keep it forever and accept it's valueless. Mechanically mine is pretty good, it had a pair of turbos the month before I bought it, whereas the purple one hasn't had turbos yet. I'm expecting to need to put dampers and an ARB on mine at some point, but otherwise it's OK.

I can't decide if it's worth worry about mine loosing all value, or if I should stick with the devil I know. One of the things attracting me to the new one is the upgraded stereo, mine is rubbish!

Post #571561 Sat Dec 22 2018 10:53pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I suppose it all depends on what the difference is in price to swap,as for 5he turbos on the my10 it depends wether it’s been maintained/serviced regularly,the turbos only seem to go on the ones that haven’t had the oil/filter changed regularly.If I was going back to a diesel I’d make sure I dropped the oil every 10k of 12 monthly which ever was first.when I had my new Amarok pickup I changed the oil & filter at 1000 miles then again 12 month after even though it had only done 3500 miles,it had 5000 miles on the clock when I sold it at 22 month old. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #571573 Sun Dec 23 2018 9:00am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bali Blue/Purple is a lovely colour and I would say mileage and service history dependent the Facelift model will not only be a nicer car it will have better fuel economy with the 8 speed gear box and interior trim was improved over the original. All will depend on thevcost to change and the previous history of the facelifted car. If you are selling your existing TDV8 then there are people looking to buy well maintained and good condition cars owned by forum members trading to a newer model. Also facelifted TDv8 is relatively rare as production of the 3.6 V8 stopped not long after the facelifted model went on sale. I wanted one in Bali Blue in June 2010 but the order book had long since closed on the RRS TDv8 but the FFRR version continued a little longer and I ended up buying an ex-demo TDv8 Vogue in August 2010, the RRS version was a way better car than the FFRR with the 3.6V8 Motor. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #571584 Sun Dec 23 2018 10:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d-9

Thanks Tim, I hadn't realised that the 2010 would have the 8 speed, that may have sold it for me.

Post #571642 Mon Dec 24 2018 9:38am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The 8-speed wasn't put on the RRS TDV8. The TDV8 and the SC both kept their original stronger, modified 6-speed boxes - hence the stick rather than the rotary gear selector. The FFRR moved to the 4.4TDV8 and took the 8 speed gearbox with that change. The 8-speed isn't that great anyway. It's always in too high a gear meaning you're always using the paddles or waiting for seconds at a time for it to respond to gentle throttle application. On the motorway it's fine but around town it's a liability.

As for the "upgrade", having gone from RRS1 to RRS1.1, I'm not convinced the interior is "better/nicer". The original had a certain practical charm that the facelifted RRS1.1 lost. Indeed, the facelift was the start of the move towards interior style over substance at LR.

Don't get me wrong, the RRS1.1 is a nice place to be but it's entirely personal taste as to whether it's "better". I don't find the seats as comfortable on a long trip in the facelift, for example. The steering wheel doesn't adjust quite as far vertically meaning the top of the speedo/rev counter is blocked - this may be a powered/not powered adjustment comparison though. The single piece rear hatch isn't as useful as the original split hatch - and the powered operation is very hit-and-miss in my experience. The headlights on the RRS1.1 aren't as good as the RRS1 either.

If your TDV8 is sweet and you know it well, I'd say stick with it. Buying a newer one might just buy you in to some one else's under-funded cast offs. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #571656 Mon Dec 24 2018 10:44am
d-9

That's useful feedback from someone who has done the switch. I'm going to have a test drive in the new one and see if I get a good vibe, but right now I'm thinking I'll stick with the one I've got. The new one is a lovely thing, but probably replacing the stereo in mine would do!

Post #571750 Wed Dec 26 2018 10:51pm
XIII

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I’ve had the SDV6 for over a couple of years and the 8-speed gearbox is sublime! I had looked at the cheaper tdv6 but the tranny was just better for economy and power. I decided to sell and with 52k on the clock next owner getting a beautiful car.

Post #571754 Wed Dec 26 2018 11:06pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Agree with XIII. The 8 speed box in my experience of the SDV6 is a great gearbox, way better than the 6 speed for performance, right gear choice and if you want it, economy. I never have any problems with it being in the wrong gear and in S mode it does a reasonable job of downshifting on brake applications to provide passable engine braking effect. I find little need to use paddle shifters at all. That said, I have had my ecu reprogrammed by Alive, but of itself that doesn't reprogramme the gearbox. I prefer facelift interior to pre facelift but then again had an evoque previously which is quite similar in feel to the facelift interior: pre facelift interior on the rrs feels a bit low rent/freelander like to me though that is probably the passage of time and for its time was good: in its favour at least you can change out the audio.

Horses for courses and as the thread shows opinions vary. These are mine from 50k's worth over the last 3 and a bit years.

Post #571764 Thu Dec 27 2018 8:31am
XIII

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Just in case you are interested my car is currently up for sale on AT https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...on=at_cars

Happy to arrange a viewing and help provide you a late Christmas present Smile

Post #571765 Thu Dec 27 2018 9:24am
ilard

United Kingdom 

A change is as good as a rest. Just don’t buy a pup. So, for me, I would care deeply about the number of previous owners, the completeness and quality of service history, and the general condition. Is this the very best TDV8 you can buy for your money? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #571838 Fri Dec 28 2018 9:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1