Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Stupid me - nearly locked the keys inside it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Stupid me - nearly locked the keys inside it

Embarassed
Monday morning and in a mad rush to get to the airport I chucked my brief case into the boot after unlocking it using the remote boot open button on the key fob, I thought I had put my house keys inside my briefcase and then slammed down the boot................... except I hadn't as I still had the house keys in my hand and I had put the car key in my briefcase. OH SH*T because my spare set of car keys were already in the briefcase! Mad rush into the house , blind panick call Land Rover Assist and explain situation - both sets of keys locked inside car, plane to catch.......... LR Assist very helpful but explain that because of deadlocks and security system if they cannot break into car it will have to be lifted using special wagon with crane as electronic parking brake cannot be released unless engine is running! OH B****R what a silly twit. So LR Assist techie is called out (he only lives 15 minutes away and I know him) and while I am waiting I phone my father to get my Defender out of his big shed so I can leave that at the airport for 3 days ..........
I thought I would just have one more try to get in and realise that when I released the boot using the remote control the alarm had not sounded, this is a great realisation as it meant that I must have unlocked at least the driver's door. And so at least I could then unlock the rear doors and fold the rear seat back down to get my case out.......... and it worked. Rapid phone call to LR Assist to cancel the techie and mad scramble into the car to dash to the airport. 3 days later I return home to find.................... in my mad rush to catch the plane I have not only left my front door unlocked but not closed properly as well! Just as well the lady next door noticed the door wasn't properly closed and knowing I was going to Germany phoned my father to bring his keys up. Nope last Monday was not a good day! In all my years of driving I have never managed to lock myself out of the car with BOTH sets of keys inside and will make sure that the spare is returned to it's hook where it is normally kept - it would be all too easy to open the rear hatch and not realise that I had set off the pathetically weak alarm and do the same again! 2 years ago I had a laught at a friend who managed to lock his key for his brand new 3 series BM in the boot when he slammed the lid shut and realised as he did so that the keys were inside. It wasn't fun at all for him as he there was no mobile phone signal and we had to drive about 10 miles in my car to get a strong enough signal so he could call out the BMW techies. At least I nearly did it on my own driveway! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3716 Fri Oct 21 2005 12:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Tim, sounds like you may have picked up a few grey hairs this week Wink . Must say that the bottom ( programmable ) button on the key - set to open hatch - was really annoying me as I would often accidently press it & not realise that I had opened the rear top part of the boot/hatch. Having now changed/reprogrammed this to turn the "Follow me home lights" on, I find this much better & it would also benefit you in so much as helping to prevent the situation you found yourself in this week. Question 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #3723 Fri Oct 21 2005 10:11am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

NOt done this with car keys but have locked up the house and accidentally left the keys in the front door once...a kind neighbour up the close spotted them as freakishly he had a letter in the post wrongly delivered which was mine, so he took the keys for safe keeping and I got them back the same day.

I did realise within an hour that I had misplaced them, rang my mum, asked her to check my front door but by then, the neighbour had removed them.

Lucky... L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3791 Fri Oct 21 2005 10:37pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi Tim, heres another tip for you thats undocumented. instead of folding down the seats press and hold both the lock and unlock button on the dash..it opens the boot

Now I am giving my secrets away to all

Neil R 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #3811 Sat Oct 22 2005 1:51pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

NeilR wrote:
Now I am giving my secrets away to all

Neil R

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #3827 Sun Oct 23 2005 3:40am
Post Reply  Back to top