RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Decided to have DMS ECU Remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue
Decided to have DMS ECU Remap

I'm booked in to have DMS do a remap on my MY14 SDV6 AB at home on Saturday.

I've read all the posts on here about the pros and cons and I'm prepared to take the risk as I am out of warranty anyway.

Interestingly, the guy said he would need to remove the ECU on my one - again I'm not worried about this and DMS have a great reputation.

He also said he would be able to raise power and torque to same level as if mine were a 305bhp model rather than the older 292bhp model which it is...

Figures quoted are 358bhp and 602 torques - both to be taken with a pinch of salt IMHO.

Will post afterwards with my thoughts on the difference but I am hoping it will help (a little) with the infamous gearbox lag/sluggishness and remove a couple of flat-spots I've noticed in the middle of the rev range. Not bothered about fuel consumption as am getting 35mpg with Grabber AT2s fitted which ain't bad...

Post #569373 Wed Nov 21 2018 4:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You seem to be a lot of torques short of the 306’s 700nm even with 50 more horses under the bonnet 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #569374 Wed Nov 21 2018 4:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Punkawallah

Hi Tim - I believe the DMS figures are in ft/lbs which, when converted to nm is 816nm so sounds about what you might expect...

As I said, a decent pinch of salt is to be taken here but from what I've read, the difference is very noticeable.

Post #569376 Wed Nov 21 2018 4:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You would need to check that torque as I have read on the forum somewhere that the 306bhp operates right on the upper torque limit for the ZF gearbox in standard output of 700nm 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #569378 Wed Nov 21 2018 4:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Punkawallah

Tim - thanks -you may well be right - if I have the ZF 8HP70 which I reckon we all do (?) then the max torque rating is 700nm.

I'm surprised therefore that DMS quote this on their website and so will make sure that he doesn't go beyond 700nm,

Unless anyone here knows that it's OK to do so on this gearbox?

Post #569380 Wed Nov 21 2018 5:05pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

You will be lucky to see much higher than 320-325bhp. Its all good and well quoting big numbers...

And Tim is also correct, the gearbox has an input torque rating of 700Nm.
The maps we install from Alive do not raise the maximum torque output, but spreads its 700Nm throughout almost the whole rev range, which hugely increases driveability without sacrificing reliability Thumbs Up

Post #569381 Wed Nov 21 2018 5:26pm
Punkawallah

Thanks Disco Mikey - yes that makes sense.

I guess I am trusting in DMS's reputation that they would have developed (in house apparently) a good map for this car without over-doing it.

I have read couple of very good reports on the SDV6 on this forum so I am reasonably confident in what to expect.

Post #569383 Wed Nov 21 2018 5:55pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Can definitely vouch for Alive tuning per DM.

Post #569394 Wed Nov 21 2018 8:47pm
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi Guys.

As you all say the gearbox can only take 700nm of torque, I wondered why my MY16 SDV6 Hybrid has 354bhp and still only 700nm if torque. SDV8 also has 339bhp and 700nm of torque.

As you say it's how they spread that torque over the rev band with a new remap is what counts Thumbs Up

Yea let us know how it goes.

I thought I would like a remap one day on my Hybrid when the warranty runs out but that maybe too complicated with a Hybrid as I don't want to ruin the electric motor Shocked

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #569397 Wed Nov 21 2018 9:38pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Bear in mind that quoted torque figures are peak, as are power figures. At peak power, the engine is not generating anywhere near maximum torque. At the point the standard SDV6 is producing peak power, torque is down around 500-450Nm.

The 5.0SC, for example, produces peak torque from 2500-5500 rpm. Sure, the peak torque is lower than the V8 diesels but it's over a much larger rev range and to a higher peak revs - hence the much higher power output and the commensurate performance increase (provided one uses the gearbox to keep the engine in the correct rev range). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #569417 Thu Nov 22 2018 12:53am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Maximum rated input torque figures for ZF transmissions, but sure ZF build in quite a high tolerance though. My old 5.0L S/C has the 6HP28 rated at 650Nm but for the last 3-4 years has been throwing out 750Nm thanks to Alive Tuning and it hasn't disintegrated yet. That figure was what they obtained on their Dyno.

Cheers
Col

Post #569418 Thu Nov 22 2018 2:15am
Punkawallah

So I had the remap done at the weekend.

ECU had to come out and be"split" open. DMS guy was extremely knowledgeable and reassuring. Took about one hour in total - he sat in his car with his computer plugged into the ECU - wires powering the ECU, feeding the CAN/BUS and then 2 wires clipped on to the parts which download the data onto the ECU.

He did say the gearbox needs around 20 miles to "learn" that the new torque is available and adapt its shifting pattern to this.

Result: it's very clearly more powerful, most noticeably when overtaking from say 40mph to 70mph where it now feels genuinely quick - I'd say it's as fast as my father's 2006 BMW 535d touring now.

The gearbox seems to shift down less when accelerating and instead uses the torque in the current gear more - this is a great improvement as I always felt it was too quick to drop a gear like in my old L320.

MPG unchanged so far but then I was testing the new power/torque more than usual so not expecting miracles. Also, didn't really notice a huge improvement in the low-end sluggishness/roundabout approach worries - need more time to experiment.

All in all, not cheap but it did feel a great improvement, will update when I've done some more miles.

Post #569785 Mon Nov 26 2018 1:41pm
harisson

Switzerland 

sounds interesting @Punkawallah

you wrote "it's as fast as my father's 2006 BMW 535d"
it should be the 272HP 35d motor. I had the 30d facelifted E60 with 235PS, tuned to 270PS. Honestly: based on my "back's meter" I have the feeling, that the RRS is quicker to 150km/h than my past BMW.
but, I didn't check with measurement equipment, it is just my feeling...

I suppose that the fuel consumption will drop a little bit, but I suppose that it wouldn't increase (if you drive, as you have driven). I know, in the beginning the fun factor is very high and that means "pedal to the metal"...

enjoy it! Smile

(I have MY16 engine with 306PS/700Nm. both cars before had a tuning, but with the RRS I will not do it. I am really, really surprised about the 306PS engine and for my purposes it is more than enough) Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #569796 Mon Nov 26 2018 4:30pm
Punkawallah

Hi @Harisson,

Thanks - yes, it is great fun!

Dad's car has the 3.0 litre twin turbo diesel (yes - 272 bhp sounds about right) and to me has always been a benchmark of diesel performance (especially for its era).

Don't forget my RRS is the 2014 model - ie. 100nm less torque than yours as standard and a few BHP less as well. Therefore the remap would be less noticeable on your car than mine.

I am very impressed so far as I always felt it needed more mid-range punch - it always seemed very quick off the line and up to 40 or 50 but then slightly ran out of puff - it now feels much better at that stage.

I need to do some more driving in it to really form a good opinion on it...

Post #569803 Mon Nov 26 2018 5:37pm
harisson

Switzerland 

yes, sorry, I didn't recognize that yours is a MY14 with 292HP and 600Nm.
how much HP/Nm you have now? I saw on the DMS website that they go up to ca. 750Nm
the 306HP engine they tune up to ca. 810Nm - very impressive..

you will see how the car performs as soon as you drive your daily routes. there you will recognize how different the car works..

yes, the BMW diesel engines are outstanding Smile
I drove it quite long

PS: does someone know which parts changed from the 292HP to 306HP engine? (injectors, turbos..?) Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #569815 Mon Nov 26 2018 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>