RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Buying a warranty with a car thrown in...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Buster007

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Buying a warranty with a car thrown in...

Today I had the strangest of experiences! I drove down to Surrey from Essex to a used car dealership (not JLR) to look at a selection of 2013 RRS SDV6 Black Editions. On selecting the best one (typical me) I went to have a chat with the dealer, nice guy who wasn't pushy at all. He had come out to see me as I walked on site, he'd unlocked all the vehicles four in total for me to inspect and went back in giving me time to look at them all in detail. On sitting at his desk with him he then proceeded to explain their warranty in detail saying that he didn't want to give me a bad warranty but prefered to sell me a good warranty and started pushing their 3yr WMF warranty while sliding a piece of paper across the desk at me which had obviously been printed on his own computer and laminated. The 3yr warranty he wanted to sell me was £1500 on this piece of paper but he would discount it to £1000 for me. He didn't really seem to be interested in which vehicle I'd picked nor did he explain anything about the vehicle to me. The warranty paperwork consisted of another copy of the same printed paper that he had placed in front of me no booklet or small print, legal terms, items covered etc. When I enquired as to what the warranty covered he explained that he decided what the warranty covered as and when a claim went in! Oh there was also a £75 excess on all claims. He stressed that I needed this warranty (still not spoken about the RRS at this point) until I pointed out that he had an obligation to give me a free 6 month warranty with the vehicle. He then explained that I only had limited rights with that and it was down to him if he wanted to cover the cost of repairs. He then explained that he wasn't prepared to give me anything off the vehicle even with no trade-in he would only discount the warranty and again pointed to the price of the warranty that he had printed out himself! The conversation was all about the warranty and to me it seemed like the car was just apart of the deal of buying this worthless warranty? I did happen to point out that he could've printed any figure on that piece of paper that he printed out but it fell on deaf ears? Needless to say I never purchased anything from him and left feeling very confused about why I'd made the 120 mile round trip to buy a warranty when I thought that I was going to buy a car......?? Cheers Laurence.

Post #568922 Wed Nov 14 2018 2:19am
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Rip off merchant. His local trading standards would be interested in his creative interpretations.

Post #568925 Wed Nov 14 2018 9:21am
Buster007

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Good point! I'm tempted to call WMF to see if they know how he is selling their warranty or if they even know he is selling their warranty? Cheers Laurence.

Post #568968 Wed Nov 14 2018 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1