RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > MY06 RRS 4 years on.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
MY06 RRS 4 years on.

Having had my Sport for nearly four years, I thought I would post some thoughts on it.
It has been an excellent car, and has done everything from the grind of the daily commute, to exploring the Pyrenees, to helping people move house. It has been as reliable as the German cars that I've had before, but the cost of parts is somewhat lower. There are however a few things that I don't like.
1. The gearbox. They never seem to last very long. I bought mine with something like 89,000 miles, and within a year, the torque converter was starting to fail, just managing it at the moment, but I know a £3K bill is around the corner.
2. The aircon. It does not seem to be able to consistently keep the cabin temperature correct. One day I'll have it set to 19, then the next I'll have to turn it up to 24. The system on my wife's Saab seems to be one of the best I've used. Much less fiddling with the temperature.
3. The wipers don't seem to work properly. The single wipe function seems weird, if you press the stalk down and release very quickly, it does a normal speed wipe; if you press and hold the arm down, it does a fast wipe; but if you press and release the stalk normally, it starts to wipe the window fast, then slows down as the stalk is released. It's very annoying (to me !).
4. The rain sensing function just does nothing sensible that I can see. One minute it will be wiping the window constantly with the finest of spray, then not wiping when there are large drops all over the screen. The adjuster that I think controls the sensitivity seems to literally do nothing.
This makes driving in anything other than sunshine, or a monsoon a bit irritating, as I constantly cycle between different wiper functions.
5. Suicide hesitation. When coming up to a junction, and you stop, then inch forward a bit, the ECU seems to then reduce the sensitivity of the throttle, so that you have to stamp on the accelerator to move out into traffic. This must make me look like a total c*ck, as instead of moving smartly into a gap, I wait until the last second, then launch myself in front of the oncoming traffic !

Apart from that I have found it a great car, easy to live with.

I'd be interested if other people have had similar issues with these things !

Post #568385 Tue Nov 06 2018 1:23pm
MartinsTDV8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Having had my Sport for nearly four years, I thought I would post some thoughts on it.
It has been an excellent car, and has done everything from the grind of the daily commute, to exploring the Pyrenees, to helping people move house. It has been as reliable as the German cars that I've had before, but the cost of parts is somewhat lower. There are however a few things that I don't like.
1. The gearbox. They never seem to last very long. I bought mine with something like 89,000 miles, and within a year, the torque converter was starting to fail, just managing it at the moment, but I know a £3K bill is around the corner.
2. The aircon. It does not seem to be able to consistently keep the cabin temperature correct. One day I'll have it set to 19, then the next I'll have to turn it up to 24. The system on my wife's Saab seems to be one of the best I've used. Much less fiddling with the temperature.
3. The wipers don't seem to work properly. The single wipe function seems weird, if you press the stalk down and release very quickly, it does a normal speed wipe; if you press and hold the arm down, it does a fast wipe; but if you press and release the stalk normally, it starts to wipe the window fast, then slows down as the stalk is released. It's very annoying (to me !).
4. The rain sensing function just does nothing sensible that I can see. One minute it will be wiping the window constantly with the finest of spray, then not wiping when there are large drops all over the screen. The adjuster that I think controls the sensitivity seems to literally do nothing.
This makes driving in anything other than sunshine, or a monsoon a bit irritating, as I constantly cycle between different wiper functions.
5. Suicide hesitation. When coming up to a junction, and you stop, then inch forward a bit, the ECU seems to then reduce the sensitivity of the throttle, so that you have to stamp on the accelerator to move out into traffic. This must make me look like a total c*ck, as instead of moving smartly into a gap, I wait until the last second, then launch myself in front of the oncoming traffic !

Apart from that I have found it a great car, easy to live with.

I'd be interested if other people have had similar issues with these things !

Rob

I agree with your points above, and as a RRS owner of some two years with a
Previous Disco 3 and Disco 2, would definitely say this is the best.

The intermittent setting and rain sensors are haphazard at times. What I dont get is the ‘suicide’ approach, as I have the TDV8, but I had this in the TDV6 in the D3; only a remap can solve this.

I drive at work a number of newer Disco 4s, Disco 5’s, Discovery Sports and RR Vogues, and still think mines, out-accelerates, out-brakes, and seems more reliable. The newer ones are quieter, as one would expect, but seem to throw up suspension faults at about 2 years old.

I can’t afford anything newer, and I am thinking about selling mine for a D2 with galvanised chassis - less electrics and easier to run and maintain. Previously owned 1999 Disco 2 TD5
Disco 3 HSE TDV6 2007
Gone 2007 TDV8 RRS1 in Buckingham Blue.

How do know if the knocking at the front has been sorted?

You can hear the knocking at the rear better

Post #568449 Wed Nov 07 2018 11:21am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

2. I find the air con on auto isn't too bad on these. Sounds like a specific fault with yours.

3. Yeah as designed. It's a hang over from British Leyland!

4. Again I find the auto wipers reasonable on these. I have had worst cars for this.
The twiddle adjuster on mine adjusts the delay on the rear window.
If auto wipers were not fitted it would do the front

Post #568452 Wed Nov 07 2018 1:07pm
HughN

Wales 

2. In just over a year of ownership, I haven't changed the settings of the climate control from 20° C / Auto. It just gets on with it.

4. I haven't noticed any foibles - works for me!

5. It may be a co-incidence, but since I had my gearbox flushed and the adaptation settings reset, this hasn't happened to me. Hey, there are some cars that make you look a total c*ck without even moving!

Post #568455 Wed Nov 07 2018 2:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1