RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Crankshaft issue,manufacturers & extended warranty confu
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

J2D

United Kingdom 
Crankshaft issue,manufacturers & extended warranty confu

Visited a LR main dealer today, to look at purchasing a 16 plate 3.0 SDV6 autobiography, lovely example full of extras, registered in May 16. Just need a bit of advice on a few points-

The front drivers side tyre had good tread, but was worn on the outside edge, sales guy said this was fine as long as 75% of the tyre was over a certain depth, is this right? The other 3 tyres were fine.

It has a 5 year service pack, which I’m told has 3 more services included as long as I stay under 50k miles, is that correct?

With regards to the warranty, I assumed it would obviously have the remainder of it’s 3 year manufacturers warranty, then the reminder of the 2 years from purchasing made up or the LR extended warranty? Which is what I asked, but was told it has a 2 LR warranty from purchase date, which is exactly the same as the original 3 year manufacturers warranty? I pretty sure that isn’t right!?

Now the interesting bit, CRANKSHAFT ISSUE - When I asked about this to the salesman and the service department, i was told they are unaware of any such issue on this model, and if there was crankshaft failure it would be covered in the 2 year LR warranty and any future extensions!! But when asked, wasn’t willing to put this in writing! And all of the other 4 guys in the service department had apparently never heard of this either!

I really want to purchase it, but just feel I’m getting completely lied to! And not really sure where to go with this to get the answers I’m looking for

John

Last edited by J2D on Mon Nov 05 2018 11:40am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #568209 Sat Nov 03 2018 9:37pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

You are being lied to

LR Extended Warranty (administered by Car Care Plan) will not cover any crank issues, due to a "design issue"
They will refer you back to JLR for a goodwill claim

JLR's reluctance to stand by their products, and cover 100% cost of an engine replacement is exactly the reason why so many members here and the sister D3/4 forum to sell up and move to a different marque
Goodwill offers are very hit and miss, with offers from 20% upto 100%. But a 20% contribution of estimates of £20k+ still leaves the owner with a massive repair bill

And it's exactly the same reason why I have not, and will not buy a 3.0 engined JLR product...

Post #568217 Sun Nov 04 2018 7:04am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I would not buy it unless you get it in writing that the KNOWN crank issue is covered. This is exactly the reason I now drive a BMW after 20 years of Landrover ownership.

Post #568220 Sun Nov 04 2018 7:29am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

And yes I agree , you are being lied to ........

Post #568221 Sun Nov 04 2018 7:30am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I agree too,they are lying,I sold a my14 ab sdv6 WITH only 33000miles flrsh 12 months approved warranty remaining on car,the chap who bought the car for good money as it had warranty had it 2 weeks & the crankshaft failed & LR would not fix/repair under the approved warranty & told the customer it’s £18500 plus vat for a new engine.Please don’t listen to anything those salesmen tell you,& for the bit were they say they haven’t heard of the issue then they are probably lying again as it’s even been in some of the car mags & national papers.
As DM says keep away from the sdv6 3.0 engine.
Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #568222 Sun Nov 04 2018 7:40am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

As others have said above, you are being lied to on 3 accounts: a) extended warranty being the same as LR/manufacturer warranty; b) extended warranty covering the crank issue; and c) salesman and service guys being unaware of the issue, unless ALL of them are new to the brand.

The uncertainty around warranty coverage of crankshaft issue, the pretend ignorance and generally not giving a Censored when it comes to customer care are some of the reasons why I sold my superb MY16 just before it was 3 years old. I moved away from the marque after 3 Sports. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #568223 Sun Nov 04 2018 7:54am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is another issue that you need to be aware of and that is the oil dilution issue with Sd4 and SDv6 engines, again due to a design fault. Not every car suffers with it BUT if your car needs to do a lot of DPF regenerations and the dash indicator shows more frequent serving than is acceptable then you have the issue too.

ALL / EVERY franchise dealer sales and servicing staff are well aware of these issues unless they have only been in the Jaguar and Land Rover network a week or so as both faults have been ongoing for several years............. Yet again management at JLR are not prepared to admit that there are problems and continue to tell potential customers that the extra warranty will covers the issues - neither are covered as they are considered design faults so are considered latent defects.......

As an aside I see in the news that production of LR redesigned engines will be stopping at the Ford engine plant at Bridgend in 2019 so JLR will do nothing about the issues now as their own Ingenium engines will be going into the car’s - Ingenium engines in Disco Sport have had a huge number of oil dilution issues as well as very high Adblue consumption issues. Interesting that Jim Ratcliffe the Chairman of Ienos is in talks with Ford to build a Defender replacement in the vacated space left when production of engines for JLR ceases........ JLR had better get the Defender right first time and at prices farmers can afford or Ratcliffe will wipe the floor with his version. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #568226 Sun Nov 04 2018 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J2D

United Kingdom 

Are the oil dilution and crankshaft issues related?

If I did purchase this RRS from LR (first registered May 16) with the 2 year extended warranty, I would still have the reminder of the 3 year manufacturers warranty until May 19 right?

Post #568228 Sun Nov 04 2018 8:58am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Yes, you will have manufacturer’s warranty until May ‘19. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #568229 Sun Nov 04 2018 9:03am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:

As an aside I see in the news that production of LR redesigned engines will be stopping at the Ford engine plant at Bridgend in 2019 so JLR will do nothing about the issues now as their own Ingenium engines will be going into the car’s -

Tim - what engines are they stopping ?

SDV6 & SDV8 ? Where did the 5ltr petrol come from?

Post #568288 Sun Nov 04 2018 11:25pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The Ford PSA based engines will all be replaced with Ingenium motors - straight sixes for the SDv6 replacement. This isn’t new news, it’s been known for several years since JLR opened its own engine plant near Coventry.
IIRC the 5.0ltr is a Jaguar engine. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #568292 Mon Nov 05 2018 8:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
syl

United Kingdom 

It's a 5 year service pack, not a 5 year warranty pack. You'll get 2 years warranty from the point you buy it, made up of the original warranty to 3 years post original purchase, plus used-approved for the rest. The 5 year service pack covers the first 5 services - either annually or at 16,000 mile intervals.

If they sell you the car and the warranty, you are going to be covered one way or the other. The dealer are the one you would sue, and they have sold you both products. Anyway, record them on your phone telling you there are no issues. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #568295 Mon Nov 05 2018 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1