RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 5.0L S/C or TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Buster007

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
5.0L S/C or TDV8

It's been a while since I sold my old 4.2S/C after a few sports cars I moved on to a SDV6 and loved it only to be superseded to a Cayenne V8, didn't like that! Now driving a lovely Defender 90 with many, many mods I love it and wouldn't part with it but SHMBO did get a little uncomfortable on our journey from Essex to Scotland (476 miles) the other day and asked 'why can't we get another RRS' Music to my ears especially as I'd just treated myself to a nice sports car 2+2, no way I was going to get all her bags in that to travel to Scotland so it had to be the Defender. So anyway my dilemma the 5.0L S/C which my heart is telling me to buy or a nice V8 3.6L which I've always wanted to own? Diesel would come cheaper to me running a diesel van through my business so that's where my head is!! I'm nervous re the reliability of the turbo's on the TDV8 are they as unreliable as they are made out to be? Cheers Laurence.

Post #567944 Tue Oct 30 2018 11:03pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

The tdv8 is. Good motor if looked after & oil changed regular,I’ve had 2 of them & enjoyed them both.The sc is in a different league & so are the running costs fuel wise,now I’m using my sc as a daily driver I’ve been considering a sdv8 to half my fuel cost.A LR dealership called me the other day asking if I wanted to upgrade to something newer & I mentioned I may be in the market for a sdv8 but they are wanting 10k plus mine for one which is a year newer,,I’m thinking I can get a lot of fuel for 10k.Also mine still has 11 months approved warranty left so I either keep it another year or try selling private which is hard when selling a 50k car & dealers know this that’s why they offer silly money when pxing.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #567955 Wed Oct 31 2018 7:46am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

if this is going to be your holiday/weekend car and you're not going to be doing much mileage, get the SCV8, else get the SDV8.

I also have a 90, mostly I use the RRS for daily runs and the 90 for off-roading. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #567957 Wed Oct 31 2018 8:19am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: 5.0L S/C or TDV8

Buster007 wrote:
I'm nervous re the reliability of the turbo's on the TDV8 are they as unreliable as they are made out to be?

No, not really. Yes, they do fail but I think it's down to servicing. Mine went at 70k with a full LR dealer service history. The replacements were on 100k when I sold it. The car was serviced by an indy after the turbos were replaced. I also made sure to let them idle/cool down for a minute or two before switching off. No doubt this helps as mine was on 47k miles when I bought it so likely I suffered from an earlier owner's lack of care.

Look after it, and the TDV8 is a great engine. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #567965 Wed Oct 31 2018 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1