RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > is this all battery related? hdc gearbox park brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

W18ODY

England 
is this all battery related? hdc gearbox park brake

bought car yesterday and thismornign (typically) car was weak to crank then displayed messages hdc fault gearbox fault and special programmes unavailable. now its showing park brake fault which worked fine yesterday and believe me i checked it several times, currently brake is stuck on and will not release.

Ive seen threads with battery relating to hdc fault, only just now popped up with gearbox fault and the park brake issue.

Any help, currently sick as f**k

thanks in advance.

Post #564819 Sun Sep 09 2018 2:26pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

What year/model have you got,my14 came up with hdc gearbox fault when it was cold last winter & wouldn’t start & I turned ignition off fo a few minutes then it started & message disappeared.Ive read on here that it could be because the battery isn’t fully charged.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #564822 Sun Sep 09 2018 2:48pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

A bad battery can cause most of those so try plugging a charger in and leave overnight and see what it does in the morning if you can Thumbs Up

Post #564828 Sun Sep 09 2018 4:10pm
W18ODY

England 

sorry i shouldve said! its a 2005 tdv6 2.7
few things ive noted so far:
battery is 90Ah bosch i believe they tend to be fitted with 100-110 Ah batteries and prefer genuine lr ones
battery shows 14.4v when engine running so presume alternator is good (that was a bit of a worry)
it was tested with the multi meter just after a short drive as ive heard they can read 15.2v or so when cold
there were no faults on this start barring the park brake which again checks out the theory that its all low battery related as it was showing 12v charge after driving
i was just off to buy a charger but the shop just closed about an hour ago!

not sure if relevant but knowing how tempremental these cars can be, the third brake light is out and the LH indicators all work fine and flash at normal rate but the noise in the cab is the fast clicking as if a bulb is out. I have been informed this could be a relay or fuse issue or the wrong type bulb fitted so need to check that

Also need to check the bootlid switch as i belive these are notorious for slowly draining the battery?

cheers for the replies so far!

Post #564829 Sun Sep 09 2018 4:16pm
geoffsnook

15 and above on the battery to start is normal should only drop down after a good run but if you have lots of other things on like heated seats and Aircon it will put more strain on battery and yes the tail hate release has been known to cause battery drain as well as brake light bulbs throwing up loads of fault codes but as you have a poor starter you more than likely have a duff battery they are also supposed to be an agm style battery Thumbs Up

Post #564830 Sun Sep 09 2018 4:51pm
W18ODY

England 

voltage was 14.4 running i havent checked it on cold start thats just what i read on here.
Im going to check it with the meter later just to see if the voltage has dropped if there is something slowly draining it.
Battery is a Bosch s4013, currently trying to google what type that is but it seems to be a 95Ah battery would you recommend 100-110Ah? and is any brand AGM battery alright or does it have to be a land rover one?

Cheers!

EDIT: i believe the bosch battry is agm although it does say the s4 is suitable for older cars without many electrical items, so im thinking thats not well suited to the range rover!
Also checked the voltage of the battery after standing for a couple of hours (not running) its still above 12v i havent tried starting it yet im going to see if it drops in another couple or maybe even overnight but usually if it sits for even 20 mins when i try to stary it again ill get at least the hdc fault message
the system check comes back all clear until i crank it then the hdc fault appears which again points to the system going low on power when it draws heavy load during start up

Post #564831 Sun Sep 09 2018 5:09pm
geoffsnook

The more amps the better and as long as it’s an AFM battery it should not matter what make it is also 12 volts is a bit low with these cars when you start it up it should be around 15-15.4 and slowly drop but depends on what your drive is like ie short or long and why you use lights Aircon heated seats etc as I recall my Disco3 never dropped below showing 13.5 but my petrol sport seems quite happy at about 13.1 and if I only use my car to pick up wife which is about 4 miles each way the battery don’t like it but if I take it to work and that’s 10 miles each way it’s fine Thumbs Up

Post #564835 Sun Sep 09 2018 5:52pm
geoffsnook

Also if it looks original then just change it for a new one Thumbs Up

Post #564836 Sun Sep 09 2018 5:53pm
W18ODY

England 

its not 12v after startup the battery is maintaining just over 12v while switched off, basically if it maintains 12.4 volts say over the next few hours then i struggle to start it, is it still a battery problem or could it be something else?
battery definately isnt original it actually looks quite new
ill know more when i try start it in coulpe hours or tomorow but usually leaving it for more than 20 mins and starting it will throw the hdc message

Post #564837 Sun Sep 09 2018 6:03pm
geoffsnook

So how long a drive do you do each time Thumbs Up

Post #564844 Sun Sep 09 2018 6:53pm
W18ODY

England 

that was a short journey but enough to get the battery well above 12v
and if i was to start it just after it wont throw a fault message or struggle

just checked battery then and its at 11.6 after not running for about 4 hours which definately suggests it is duff or something is draining it? what do you reckon?

guess next port of call is new mattery and if it persists then something must be draining it unless there is a way to find if there is a drain before changing the battery?

cheers for the help so far! hopefully moving in the right direction

Post #564861 Sun Sep 09 2018 7:37pm
geoffsnook

New battery i would say Thumbs Up

Post #564862 Sun Sep 09 2018 7:40pm
W18ODY

England 

its looking that way!

Another update: checked voltage thismorning after its sat overnight the battery voltage had dropped to below 5v!
to my surprise it still started! took it on a short journey to try get some charge in the battery, i know it should really get a good run out but this will have to do for now.
Battery was charging at 14.8v after short run and when engine switched off battery had over 12v in it.
I have disconnected the battery to see if the voltage drops or if it is something on the car draining it when connected but my gut feel is that it is the battery.

Will update with results later.

Post #564898 Mon Sep 10 2018 7:34am
geoffsnook

Would have thought the alternator would have been chucking out over 15 volts if that battery was that low Thumbs Up

Post #564900 Mon Sep 10 2018 8:02am
W18ODY

England 

it possibly was at first this was checked at 14.8v after about 10 mins running?

Post #564901 Mon Sep 10 2018 8:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>