RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > P400e - charging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

United Kingdom 
P400e - charging

Question for any P400e owners out there. Still looking forward to getting mine (currently on order), and trying to work through all the logistics.

Do any of you have to deal with charging on-street? If so, how do you deal with getting power from the house t the car - any issue running the cable across the pavement?

In my case I can (usually) park on the street directly outside the house, but will have to run a cable a couple of metres or so across the pavement. Occasionally I might have to park a few spaces down so might need longer cables etc.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Post #564404 Mon Sep 03 2018 6:20pm
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I have Telsa and charging at home is no issue. There's a Chargemaster point at the house it's plug and play this in my drive. The cable is on my property. 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #564408 Mon Sep 03 2018 7:20pm

United Kingdom 

Thanks Puslinch - unfortunately I don’t have a drive - hence my question. Just wondering what solutions others might have come up with to in street charging.

Post #564443 Tue Sep 04 2018 5:40am
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

If you check the EV forums there's been a lot of chatter on this topic. I belive unless you have council permission you are not able to run a cable across the pavement, trip hazard, H&S and all that stuff. Best check with the council prior. 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #564444 Tue Sep 04 2018 6:41am
scousefly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
Re: P400e - charging

1880 wrote:
Question for any P400e owners out there. Still looking forward to getting mine (currently on order), and trying to work through all the logistics.

Do any of you have to deal with charging on-street? If so, how do you deal with getting power from the house t the car - any issue running the cable across the pavement?

In my case I can (usually) park on the street directly outside the house, but will have to run a cable a couple of metres or so across the pavement. Occasionally I might have to park a few spaces down so might need longer cables etc.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Sort of begs the question why get a Electric Hybrid when you don't have anywhere to park it on your own property? That would be a prime indicator of whether I would go down this road due to the exact issue you are asking about. If I am honest you are on very shaky ground with regards to running a cable across a pedestrian footpath. Plus with the society we live in this in my opinion will just leave you open to random acts of vandalism from any nerdowells or yoofs in the area(scrotes) Big Cry Big Cry

Post #564446 Tue Sep 04 2018 7:35am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Agree, if you live in a crime war zone then a drive with 10 foot gates and a Chargemaster wall point is the best bet.

Where I live people buy a toughened weather-proof extension cable with RCD:
https://www.toughleads.co.uk/collections/h...cd-options
with a cable ramp: (example)
https://www.safetybuyer.com/heavy-duty-cable-hose-protectors.html

I will be going for this option.

But generally I will fast charge on public chargers (nearby streets and other the infrastructure, shopping centres etc)
I’m not going to let the driveway thing put me off. The charging infrastructure is growing all tree time. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #564449 Tue Sep 04 2018 9:00am

United Kingdom 

Maybe so, Scousefly, but the conundrum is that those who are likely to benefit most from the electric range on these sorts of car are those that live in urban environments where running generally short distances through heavy traffic, and (in the case of London) with a congestion charge exemption. Funnily enough, they also tend to be the sorts of areas where large driveways are hard to come by. I'm sure better solutions will come along in the next few years.

Perhaps as Ilard suggests I will have to confine myself mainly to public chargers for now (there is one a couple of streets away, so should be fine). Thanks also for the ramp / cable tips. Will look into those.

Post #564459 Tue Sep 04 2018 11:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1