Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Supercharged AB vs SVR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Colossus1

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Supercharged AB vs SVR

Hello

I currently have an early '13 S/C AB with 42k miles on it and am considering chopping it in for a new version, it now being 7 years old and starting to suffer a little from the standard LR electrical gremlins. Having looked at various options I may well take out a PCH as there are some cracking lease deals around and it is often the case that the SVR is cheaper or about the same as the regular S/C AB. I have never really wanted an SVR, I have other cars for fun and hooning around in and use the RRS when I need to travel any distance with the family etc. For that the AB is perfect, makes a great noise when you floor it, but is incredibly comfortable and quiet on a long journey, even when cruising at 100mph - obviously where that is legal to do so Whistle

The cost of an SVR has got me thinking though and I was wondering how much comfort I would sacrifice if I got a new SVR instead. I am aware that the new SVR has a quieter exhaust but wonder whether anyone knows whether this is now similar to the one I currently have or still louder? Also, if the SVR is quieter, is the AB also quieter due to the particulate filter? I do enjoy the noise mine makes as it is very well judged for my taste, but wouldn't want it any quieter.

Also, how much harder is the ride in an SVR? I am running on 22" 275/40's at the moment which are fine but I would not want a much harder ride and am happy with the ride handling balance they give, is the SVR that much harder? I think they come on 21" wheels as standard and wonder whether that would make the ride of a similar nature to mine on 22"?

Finally, I appreciate that the SVR seats are much more contoured and will hold you in better going round corners, but are they good for a 500+ mile trip in one hit? The seats in mine are great for a long journey but not so good round the corners when pushing on, but am happy to live with that compromise.

It appears that the S/C AB is not that popular judging by how few of them there are available as a used buy in comparison to loads of SVR's to choose from, but given the low cost of lease/finance deals it probably makes more sense to buy new. I would get a test drive before pulling the trigger but it is often difficult to gauge how easy a car will be to live with on a relatively short test drive so before I go much further I thought I would see what the views of those that have driven both would be. Many thanks.

Post #602369 Tue Jul 28 2020 1:36pm
Farmer Chalk

I’ve just gone from a 16 plate 5.0S that I had for 60,000 miles...sublime car now to a 17plate incredibly low mileage SVR...

The difference between the two is vast... the SVR is more brutal despite only having 40bhp more... the handling is firmer and the vehicle is definitely more planted on the road... the seats are superb...

I would definitely check the increase in insurance premium especially as you live in London... the difference between the two is large when talking London postcode premiums!

Overall I am properly in love with the SVR and wouldn’t go back ..

Post #602389 Tue Jul 28 2020 8:59pm
Colossus1

FC, thank you for your reply, just the sort of views that I was hoping to get. I am surprised that there is so much difference between the two models, like you I think the 5.0S is a sublime car and I am not sure that I want anything that is significantly more brutal. I will have to drive one and see how they compare. You also make a good point about insurance, I would imagine the SVR is much more of a target and so will attract a much higher premium. Thanks again.

C

Post #602408 Wed Jul 29 2020 9:59am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I've had both so I'll give my take on it.

Neither are ideal tbh lol Smile Not the answer you wanted but;

The SVR for me is too full on all the time, even put in comfort mode its too firm around Greater London - on smooth roads though its absolutely fine & when you want to have a blast its tip top . . .

The SCV8 for me is a bit too soft, its great for pootling around but even in its firmest mode (dynamic) with the gear selector in sport its still a bit bouncy and uncontrolled.

The ideal car is somewhere in the middle, one that can go to the comfort of the SCV8 and then to the firmness of the SVR, possibly when the new one comes out they will widen the gap.

For now it will depend on what the majority of your driving is and where you live, if you live somewhere with unpleasant roads and spend most of your time just using it as a normal car, the SCV8 would make more sense.

If you live somewhere where the tarmac is a lot better and spend more of your time going out for drives, the SVR would be the choice.

Also the SVR will hold its value better than the SCV8 by a reasonable sum but not *that* much difference between them to make it a no-brainer.

With all that being said, I'd put up with the slightly brutal ride and have the SVR, have another on order. Lol not that that helps but thats me. I strongly suggest you try and find a dealer with both and test drive them back to back might be a tall order finding someone who has both, but tbf the 5 litre handles similarly to the SDV6/SDV8 cars as the engine weight is somewhere inbetween the two from memory.

Hope that helps. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #602437 Wed Jul 29 2020 6:30pm
Colossus1

DM thank you for your very insightful view, it helps confirm my suspicion that the SVR may to too harsh for what I will mainly use the car for. I currently have the S/C V8 and agree that it is too soft when really pressing on but I rarely drive it like that, if I want to just go out for a drive I have a weekend toy for such duties.

I think I will try and get a test drive of an SVR, just to be sure, but suspect I might end up ordering the P525. I guess there are worse problems to have! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

C

Post #602455 Wed Jul 29 2020 9:48pm
Farmer Chalk

The other issue in stark reality is the SVR will definitely attract unwanted attention... fine if you’ve got a private drive or garage but if your leaving it on the street or in plain view there are people who want to relieve you of it...

The SCV8 although still a desirable car is visibly the same as an’ordinary RRS...in fact the only way you can tell the difference apart is the slight difference to the exhausts..

Every night I have to ensure mine is heavily blocked in on my drive ....

Post #602456 Wed Jul 29 2020 9:58pm
Colossus1

Another very good point FC. I had a very lucky escape with my "ordinary" S/C and now it has a very visible crook lock and gets blocked in on my drive. I have also turned off the no key unlocking which gives some comfort. Looks like I am headed for a P525!

Post #602459 Wed Jul 29 2020 10:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

One wonders where in the UK you're driving these things that you're finding them "too soft when pressing on". On 55-profile AT tyres with TR in dynamic mode and the 'box in S, my old SDV6 can cover ground at a silly rate and do a decent job of taking corners at speeds that, frankly, are criminal and would quite probably be fatal if it goes awry. How much more cornering speed do you need? I can see the attraction of the shove in the back, especially passing dawdling traffic, but as someone who spends a lot of time travelling quickly on A and B roads, I'm not sure how much more cornering speed one would need. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602462 Wed Jul 29 2020 10:40pm
Colossus1

Even in Dynamic mode at the legal limit on a twisty A road the S/C V8 starts to get untidy and body control is not great. Yes it can go round at that speed and above but the point is that it is not a very stable when doing so and as such a better resolved suspension would make the corners a better experience. It sounds like the SVR offers that but with the compromise of a much firmer ride.

Post #602479 Thu Jul 30 2020 9:49am
Renaco

Germany 

To add:

My reason taking the P525 over the SVR was, the car looks smart and a more "classic" Range Rover like, with a great engine, fine sound and a wide spread package in general. Also I don't like the actual alloy design-offer for the SVR...

One fun and unexpected add on for usage the P525 at unlimited highways here in germany is, the power and speed surprises a lot of sports car and AMG/M/S/RS drivers positve, very often I get smiles and Thumbs Up for going the same acceleration and speed with them. Sure I won't get the :thumbsup:with the SVR, as its optical in the same league...

I am not a racer, I don't need a sports car, I just drive often long distances and let it go where it is possible, always smart and respectful.

On the Other hand, DangerMouse is right, at higher speeds, the handling needs to be firmer. I am checking with my garage stiffer bushes and an programmed lowering tool just at 100 km/h +, that lowers the body another 2 cm, to reduce the body roll without looking "low". Keep you postet, if this makes the "thing" perfect.

Best
René

2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Last edited by Renaco on Thu Jul 30 2020 10:59am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #602482 Thu Jul 30 2020 10:51am
Canary

England 

I picked up my p525 last month and having two previous scv8 my64 and my15 this new car is so more refined than those earlier cars enough so to be stunned at just how nice 👌

I do super long trips as my swimming pool & hottub business is in beds but I live in the Highlands and so for me the comfort level over an SVR is the key, also insurance is a big saver also.

The V8 roar is plenty noise and extremely satisfying at all speeds and coasts like an angel on the motorway 9 hours at a time, plus rear seat entertainment is not available with the SVR and is a great diversion when swapping driving with the Mrs.

One thing of note I also have a My17 bmw x5 50i v8 and its so quiet its not worth having but its my work car so not complaining, however it could never be my primary vehicle since its bouncy beyond what is acceptable, not nearly as economic as my scv8 Shocked

So all in all 525BHP is more than enough for ripping past slow beams and the v8 soundtrack is infectious, hope that helps with your decision either way? MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #602483 Thu Jul 30 2020 10:57am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Colossus1 wrote:
Even in Dynamic mode at the legal limit on a twisty A road the S/C V8 starts to get untidy and body control is not great. Yes it can go round at that speed and above but the point is that it is not a very stable when doing so and as such a better resolved suspension would make the corners a better experience. It sounds like the SVR offers that but with the compromise of a much firmer ride.

It's a tall 2.5t SUV with long travel suspension designed to allow it to be hugely capable off road. It's always going to be a compromise on road.

If you want to have sports car handling, drive a sports car. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602492 Thu Jul 30 2020 12:19pm
Colossus1

Canary wrote:

The V8 roar is plenty noise and extremely satisfying at all speeds and coasts like an angel on the motorway 9 hours at a time, plus rear seat entertainment is not available with the SVR and is a great diversion when swapping driving with the Mrs.

How does the noise compare with your earlier models? I know the new SVRs are quieter due to the particulate filter but wondered whether there was a similar effect on the new S/C V8? My current '13 plate S/C V8 sounds fabulous and is pitched perfectly for the sort of car it is, wouldn't want that to be toned down significantly with the PF that will now be installed.

Post #602495 Thu Jul 30 2020 1:37pm
Colossus1

[quote="RRSTDV8"]

Colossus1 wrote:

If you want to have sports car handling, drive a sports car. Thumbs Up

Or get an SVR by all accounts!

This is my point, I have a sports car and want my Range Rover to do what Range Rovers do best, which in my view is provide a very luxurious and comfortable drive but with a decent level of performance hence my questions over how harsh the SVR is to live with. From the replies provided it appears that for my purposes it may not provide what I am looking for, but for others they may be happy to live with the compromises an SVR offers.

Post #602496 Thu Jul 30 2020 1:43pm
Colossus1

Renaco wrote:
To add:

On the Other hand, DangerMouse is right, at higher speeds, the handling needs to be firmer. I am checking with my garage stiffer bushes and an programmed lowering tool just at 100 km/h +, that lowers the body another 2 cm, to reduce the body roll without looking "low". Keep you postet, if this makes the "thing" perfect.

Best
René

Rene, thanks for your reply which is helpful. My current S/C V8 really starts to feel its weight at high speed on a motorway. I travel to Italy every year or so and the northern Italian motorways are narrow and very twisty, which at motorway speeds starts to make the car less stable than I would like so a fix for that would be very welcome. Keep us informed!

C

Post #602497 Thu Jul 30 2020 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>