RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Is my dealer bulsh*tting me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

syl

United Kingdom 
Is my dealer bulsh*tting me?

My car was PDI’d in late August 2017 for a new registration delivery, but the order was cancelled. I later bought it, unregistered, at the end of November with 30 miles on the clock. I have done just over 5000 miles (they had it for a month whilst they took the engine out to drill out a snapped bolt on the compressor), about half motorway.

For the last few weeks it has been counting down to a service required at 50 miles a day, which will take it to exactly a year since the PDI. I know they do this, having had a few Jaguars previously. It doesn’t actually need a service on time for another 4 months, they just forgot to reset the clock when they sold it me.

Unfortunately I have had an SOS module fault and the car went in today. They can’t replicate it (I have no doubt it will return as it has been intermittent) but have reset any codes, updated the software and suggest I bring it back to replace if it happens again. But they also noticed the service light. They have measured the oil dilution at 4.65% (ok up to 6%) but recommended an oil change within 19 days (coincidentally the same sort of time as 1 year from PDI).

It has a service plan and they say the plan has the 5 services PLUS 4 oil changes (they will also change the oil at a service, as well as the other oil changes) so it’s not going to cost me anything other than time (they didn’t change it today). Do I need it doing really? I will, as they said it could go from 4.65% to 6% in a fortnight (really, that seems quite a jump) and then the DPF could get blocked (again, is that what a problem with oil quality causes - I’d have thought it would cause engine trouble). Also an early oil change on a new car is never a bad thing , especially if I don’t have to pay. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #563004 Fri Aug 10 2018 5:17pm
wilf

First:

They don't actually "measure" the oil dilution, it is a calculation done by the onboard ECU.

In other words, a guess. If you want to know what it actually is, then send a sample off to the Millers Oil analysis service (there are others).

I was told the dilution was OK on mine, I had it properly analysed, it was at 10%! With wear metals in the oil indicative of damage. Even then I had to go to the Chairman of the group to get the "free" oil change (as per the service bulletin says you should).

This is why I got out of the vehicle. And out of JLR products because they flat out lied to me, and I don't forgive or forget that.

Second:

Oil dilution at 4.65% is already an issue and will cause premature engine wear. My suspicion is that if the ECU calculation says 4.65%, the reality is higher.

So - IMHO, get it changed! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #563014 Fri Aug 10 2018 8:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Also the service indicator doesn’t just count down time to next service, it also takes into account how the car is used basically cars used for low miles but lots of cold starts and short trips will hasten the service and diesels might even need a DPF service. If you hammer the car up and down motorways it takes that into account as well as lots of low gear off road stuff that places high loads at low speeds. It would be great to see the algorithm they use to calculate all that stuff! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #563068 Sun Aug 12 2018 4:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
syl

United Kingdom 

Yeah, but mine is counting down exactly 50 miles per day, and has done from 40 days out to the anniversary of the PDI. Regardless of whether or not I drive the car. So mine is counting down on time, rather than mileage. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #563075 Sun Aug 12 2018 11:16am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have you had the software updated, check Topix as there were several updates for the D5 regarding this.

N176v2 - Distance to Service Message Not Correctly Displayed

There are several "fixes" to Independent Oil Dilution Counter Reset 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #563084 Sun Aug 12 2018 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1