RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Anyone went from RRS to Volvo XC90? Update: I have
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

fkarim

United Kingdom 
Anyone went from RRS to Volvo XC90? Update: I have

I am considering replacing my RRS with XC90 and need advice on a couple of options from someone who has experience of XC90 or even XC60 (I guess it would be the same). I have Googled but opinions on Volvo forums vary a lot and I’m none the wiser. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Last edited by fkarim on Sat Jul 21 2018 4:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #561476 Mon Jul 16 2018 9:03pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I went from 2004 XC70 to RRS and last year bought a 2011 XC70 for motorway miles. Happy to help if I can.

Post #561569 Wed Jul 18 2018 8:10pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I have pm’d you a couple of questions. Many thanks for your time. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #561575 Wed Jul 18 2018 8:53pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

After several months of (over?) thinking, test driving some cars, completely abandoning the idea of changing for a while, spending hours on online configurators and doing lots and lots of “man maths”, I finally decided that the RRS will be replaced by a Volvo XC90 and went ahead to order one.

We only do about 8k miles a year, no commuting by car so we only drive on the weekends plus perhaps an occasional weekday supermarket trip during some weeks. If it wasn’t for driving holidays, our mileage would be around 5k, if not lower. Before buying our current Sport, we had owned 2 RRSs and I tried to downgrade due to this lack of use but my wife was completely against the idea and even I wasn’t 100% sure, so we ended up with our 3rd RRS. While we both enjoy driving the thing and I still look forward to every journey in it, I used the last 3 years to convince her (and myself) that we should try something different, even if just to broaden our horizon. Saving some money in the process was also an important consideration and the crankshaft issue with SDV6 engine also played some part in the decision-making process. Plus the bad press for Diesel engines ( even though it is Euro 6b compliant Rolling Eyes ). Poor LR dealership experience was another reason but it would be inaccurate to state it as a major one.

According to my calculations, all things considered, over the next 3 years a brand new XC90 should cost me the same as keeping the Sport, which is almost 3 years old already. That was without adding any wear & tear expenses that extended warranty won’t cover - can’t predict them. I have gone for the T8 Hybrid twin engine in top of the range Inscription Pro trim plus several optional extras. Despite that, thanks to XC90 being cheaper in the first place and then discount on top, it came to over £25k less than what an “equivalent” new Sport would have been in price. Volvo’s finance rates for new cars are very competitive too. I tried Oracle and Magnitude but neither could match them. The discount should also help soften the depreciation hit. Our annual mileage is too low for fuel savings to pay for the Hybrid premium but I have made the choice because I really don’t know what the future for diesel/petrol cars is going to look like so hoping it will hold its value better.

Despite the peace of mind that comes with a new car and it making more financial sense, it was a hard decision, which is a testament to how good a car the RRS is Bow down Having said that, I am looking forward to the far better tech, practicality and hoping for a better aftersales experience than LR. If their product knowledge, highly professional attitude and doing what they say they would (like getting back to you when expected) is anything to go by, it should be good but remains to be seen.

I will hopefully do a proper review of the car once it arrives (probably mid to late autumn). The test drives were good and certainly changed my perception (which was stupidly generalised) of 4 cylinder engines - they are not necessarily all slow and they don’t all sound horrible! Little things that matter like air vents in the B pillars are refreshing. Having them just at the bottom rear of the centre console was pretty useless for my young kids in the second row seats. 3rd row seats, while we don’t need them most of the time, will be welcome when we do occasionally need them. Larger boot with a higher ceiling is also useful. Seating position is not far off RRS and the seats are very comfortable. Inscription Pro comes with air suspension so very comfy ride too.

I will put up my RRS for sale here after its next valet. I wasn’t successful with selling my last 2 Sports on the forum but you never know. If it does sell here, someone will get a very well spec’d and well looked after car in lovely condition. I am open to keeping it until the new car arrives or letting it go early if I get a good price.

Apologies for the lengthy post Embarassed Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #561756 Sat Jul 21 2018 6:40pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Good luck with the new car Fawad, don’t be a stranger Laughing Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #561792 Sun Jul 22 2018 2:39pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks mate. I will be here, at least until I have the RRS Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #561796 Sun Jul 22 2018 3:21pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Yes good luck fkarim those Volvo,s do indeed look very nice. Hope you will stay on here though. Thumbs Up SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #562028 Wed Jul 25 2018 7:04pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I’ve been checking in here regularly over the last 6+ years, mostly for no reason. Don’t think this habit will die easily Smile I still like these cars very much and who knows, I might get back into one in future. Perhaps the arrival of RRS3 would be a good time, although I would hate to predict what those would cost!

With Volvo, I hope to be like normal people and only hit a forum when I have a question, need help. I joined some Volvo forum a little while ago (didn’t post anything) but can’t even remember what it was called Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #562031 Wed Jul 25 2018 7:43pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

There's also this http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/xc90/10...-in-the-uk Mr. Green

"No fatalities ever recorded in a Volvo XC90 in the UK
Analysis of official figures finds no driver or passenger fatalities have been recorded in Volvo's XC90 since records began in 2004" Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #562196 Sat Jul 28 2018 8:51am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Yes, safety was one of the reasons that helped me decide. However, RRS is pretty solidly built too. I guess it’s the tech that gives XC90 the safety edge over RRS. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #562221 Sat Jul 28 2018 2:23pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I have a good friend who made the same move as you from an MY17 RRS to the XC90 Momentum spec - it was fully laden with tech and he was really looking forward to moving to the new car and tech however, he has had nothing but infotainment issues with his car since he has had it Embarassed

Volvo seem to be having their fair share of issues with their new systems too. I wish you all the best with the move and hope you get a good one.

Personally so far (TOUCHWOOD!!!) my MY18 RRS has been faultless apart from the DAB not working 1 in 25 starts and they can't seem to solve that issue as yet.

Post #562466 Thu Aug 02 2018 8:16am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

LR gets a lot of bad press for unreliability and there are so many horror stories out there. Yet I never had any major problems with any of my 3 Sports. Volvo is not considered to be in the same league as Lexus or Honda, for example, in terms of reliability so not surprising that your friend had problems. Let's see how mine behaves. I firmly believe there are good and bad cars & dealers from all makes. If reliability is the only criterion, the best one can do is go for one of the Japanese manufacturers renowned for it. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #562471 Thu Aug 02 2018 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1