RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Track Control Arm ball joints
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gary3306

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
Track Control Arm ball joints

So I’ve got some magnificent splits in my lower front TCA bushes. Going to pick up the new arms tomorrow but has anybody done these without having to splash out on the JLR ball joint splitter. I am really really not keen on spending big bucks on the splitter for one job, if anybody has found a satisfactory way of doing it without.
Any suggestions guys?

Post #639372 Sun Feb 04 2024 7:30pm
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

I have two waiting to be fitted and have the same problem Thumbs Up

Post #639374 Sun Feb 04 2024 8:27pm
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

I just done mine on Saturday, i bought the tool and i did both the one in your picture and the one behind it.

To answer to your questions that depends when yours was replaced before. The ones you want to do came fine but it already was replaced before and came out fine.

However the other ones was tight in there and there was no way getting them out without that tool. I tried half an hour for the fun of it and then revert to the tool.

If you do end up finding a tool, make sure you dont use it without the bottom nut total off, i learned it the hard way.

Also make sure you clean all the threads properly as if bolts stuck and ball joint starts to spin you are in whole lot of pain!

If you are within East Yorkshire i could help with the tool

Post #639387 Mon Feb 05 2024 9:56am
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

Can I ask where you purchased the tool ? Thumbs Up
Is it the same as the on below ?

Post #639394 Mon Feb 05 2024 1:10pm
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

Hi Yes it is, i asked the same question you guys asked a few months ago so i know exactly where you coming from.

I think Disco Mike replied to my thread and they use a hydro arm, which is for workshops and can imagine how much they cost.

I bought mine from Ali Express and i think it cost me just shy of £80 which is much cheaper than any other price i found on net! Link is below, I would recommend to use paypal.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ1ZAEZ

This video helped me a lot, although its for L405 the process and parts are same.

&ab_channel=DrAndrewSutherland

I would recommend good jacks and axle stands, take measurements of your cars ride height sitting at normal right height before you start.

If you are replacing both front lower arms as in front and back not left and right, do the front ones first.

The video shows both procedure for both.

I am having to re-torque my bottom ball joint bolts, a decent torque wrench that goes onwards of 300nm is a must in my opinion.

Hope it helps

Post #639403 Mon Feb 05 2024 2:18pm
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

Brilliant , thanks Thumbs Up
Great video .

Post #639411 Mon Feb 05 2024 9:49pm
RRSporter

If you have this tool then great. I’ve just done it without. Not great! But it can be done. Key is to get order correct. The rear arm isn’t too bad. The front arm ball joint is on an angle so not so easy. Start drivers side as it’s less tight due to less corrosion. Loosen both ball joint nuts first. Leave on but a turn off finger tight.

Rear control arm I jacked on the nut with socket under it to give full car weight pushing socket up. Make sure well chocked and axled when doing this!! This won’t budge it so get between ball joint and upright with suitable chisel or some other wedge shaped metal thing and hammer it in. Eventually you’ll hear a reassuring thud. 👍.

Leave this well alone. The front one must be loosened with the rear control arm in place still as it’s used to lever against. I put a standard breaker bar between the two arms and jacked the front right up to put the front arm ball joint under a lot of tension. Then get your socket onto the nut and belt it a few times. Fingers crossed bingo. The rest as per video. Good luck 🤞

3.0 SDV6 HSE L494

Post #640021 Tue Feb 27 2024 12:28pm
Karlp606

Hi guys, great thread - I haven't got a knocking noise but weird squeak, almost like a loose floorboard noise when going over small bumps etc. I thought it was the sway bar bushes but turns out there fine and just needed some silicone spray, seems to be mostly on the drivers side where the noise is coming from.

Post #640047 Wed Feb 28 2024 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1