RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Return of Drivers Licence From French Police
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

PIG88

United Kingdom 

Lyonhead wrote:
Quite a while ago now, I used to drive a HGV across all of Europe and found that various countries police forces have certain attitudes to U.K. registered vehicles.

I was ALWAYS legal but whenever pulled over by the French, where they referred to me as Mr Johnnie Walker or Mr Embassy, depending on what they were after and when I refused to handover these items the threat of handcuffs and heavy fines I always requested the CRS to be called. Their demeanour used to change immediately and I never paid or handed over anything. The rule is make sure you are always within the law, and front it out.

One example was when driving a hazardous goods tanker and after visiting a weighbridge they tried to inform me that I was overweight on an axle, which obviously I wasn’t. But when refusing to pay a fine and requesting the CRS, even the CRS chap asked the local plod how I was supposed to move the liquid off the axle that was supposedly overweight. Let go with no fine paid.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Am not familiar with the CRS - who are they?

Post #560039 Wed Jun 27 2018 3:28pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

CRS are a Special Mobile French Police Force, which have a CRS badge on their number plates ( motorcycles as well as cars). They are above the Gendarmerie and National Police Force. These fellas I have always found to be straight as long as you are straight with them and are not, corrupt, if you’ve done something wrong that’s it your done. Gendarmes will actually not even bother to follow you/ chase you, they rather sit at tolls smoking and just as you go through pull you over to check you out. You may have not done anything wrong but they 9 times out of 10 are after something.
Don’t get me wrong, not every Gendarme are like this but you do get the odd area where they are and I said before, if you are legal and have done nothing wrong, then hold your ground.
Thumbs Up

Post #560040 Wed Jun 27 2018 3:43pm
PIG88

United Kingdom 

Thanks, Lyonhead. That’s a very useful tip - we do a lot of driving in France every year so will keep that info handy!

Post #560050 Wed Jun 27 2018 5:08pm
RRS_FR

France 

We may all benefit from reviewing the attached RAC guide to UK speeding fines

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/speeding-fines/

Perhaps the French were / are lenient ?
Embarassed --------------------------------
2011 Autobiography, Fuji white, Le Mans interior
2006 HSE Black / beige 3 years from new
1986 RR Classic - metallic blue / grey - fantastic car

Post #560079 Wed Jun 27 2018 8:46pm
SRE

Spain 

The French don't like us, however they do like the Scots, so you need a Scottish Flag / sticker on your vehicle. TIm will be along shortly to shoot me down Rolling with laughter In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #560112 Thu Jun 28 2018 9:25am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I hadn't heard anything else regarding this since my original post until this morning. I received an email from the French police saying that they made a mistake with one of the forms and I need to countersign a revised attached version, send it back and I will receive a summons to the court in the town nearby to where I was stopped.

Had a friend's French wife look at this for me and....

This is what the original form I signed said:

“The contravener (that is me) has paid a fixed fine of seven hundred and fifty. He acknowledges having been informed of the provisions (rules) on the back of this document.”

This is what the replacement that they want me to sign and return says:

“The offender, by decision of the Public Prosecutor at the Saint Quentin High Court, paid a deposit of 750. He acknowledges having been informed of the provisions (rules) on the back of this document”

This sounds absurd and I don't know if I should just ignore it or seek legal advice....thoughts?

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #561991 Wed Jul 25 2018 9:49am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Why would you need to go back to the court if you've already paid the fine and by implication admitted your guilt? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #562002 Wed Jul 25 2018 1:36pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

I totally agree with Eaters,

If you have paid the fine then that’s the speeding issue dealt with. It is not your fault/problem that the Police made a mistake with one of the forms.

Personally I cannot see any reason why you should sign anything else and return it back to them, the speeding issue was dealt with and you have proof you paid the fine to the Police.

Obviously if you’re really concerned maybe seek legal advice but it clearly seems to be the French Police have dropped a Censored in not completing their forms correctly but you can only do what they asked you to do and that was pay a fine and sign a form they presented to you. If that was not enough then they should have detained you and dealt with it before you left the Country not sign another revised form and then added to that a threat of being recalled to Court. No, something is not right there. Thumbs Up
Just as a foot note, how Censored fast were you going to receive a fine of €750 Rolling with laughter Thud

Post #562006 Wed Jul 25 2018 2:13pm
Eaters

The only slight concern I can see is that, if you wish to return to France again, you don't want to find that you have an outstanding summons to court. Don't want you exiled to St Helena or anything Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #562007 Wed Jul 25 2018 2:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Violetpiano wrote:

This sounds absurd and I don't know if I should just ignore it or seek legal advice....thoughts?

Jas

You need proper legal advice on this.

It would be a tad annoying to have UK plod turn up to arrest you because the French had issued an EU arrest warrant thingy... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562014 Wed Jul 25 2018 3:33pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

The thing to note here is that the wording has changed from 750 EUR "fine" to 750 EUR "deposit". Means they are not done with penalising yet. As suggested above, I would seek legal advice.

I received a speeding fine from Austria by post a month (or two?) after our trip. It was 57kph in a temporary 50kph limit zone. I remembered the incident and the camera flashing so simply paid. Surprising to see that paying an on the spot fine may not be the end of the matter, especially due to their own mistake. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #562016 Wed Jul 25 2018 4:23pm
Eaters

And thinking out loud really, but I think the AA and RAC have legal depts that may be able to help members. You are probably with LR Assist. Do they have similar? Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #562018 Wed Jul 25 2018 4:51pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

just call them or have them called by somebody who speaks sufficiently french.
A court decision could also be in your advantage. Maybe you do not need to appear in person. RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #562039 Wed Jul 25 2018 9:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the comments and I think I will seek legal advice - will see what the AA and RAC has to say on the matter before forking out cash for advice.

As far as I am concerned though, I was issued with a fixed penalty that I paid (and have the receipt) and if they made a mistake that is their problem.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #562059 Thu Jul 26 2018 9:35am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Maybe they've realised they've overcharged you and want to give you some back Wink Very Happy Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #562065 Thu Jul 26 2018 11:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>