100%
 100%  [12]
Total Votes: 12

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

paredes_fontanals

United States 
RRS HSE vs Cayenne S

Has anyone driven both the RRS HSE and the Cayenne S? I haven't taken the RRS for a drive yet but I've heard very good comments about it. On the other hand my brother owns a Cayenne S with 22" rims and after market exaust and air filters, I have to say that the handling of the porsche is beyond belive, that SUV can outperform many cars in straights and corners.
I am not going to buy the same car that my brother owns even more when we live together, and I am seriously considering the RRS HSE beyond all other SUV's (cayenne still an option not the first though)
I just want to hear the opinion of other people than the ones that I already know. Diego Paredes Fontanals
----------------------------
Audi A4 soon a RRS S/C
MV Agusta Brutale F4

Post #3549 Tue Oct 18 2005 8:33pm
John

United Kingdom 

Having previously owned a couple of X5's a year ago I purchased a Cayenne with 20" Sport techno Alloys, whilst the car handled well, the car was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. The warning lights had a mind of their own, the tailgate catch failed on three occasions, water poured through the headlining to mention just a few of the problems which culminated in Porsche buying the car back from me. I then ordered a RRS which I collected on launch day with Overfinch 22" Tiger alloys fitted, the car is in a different class to the others in terms of ride & general refinement but ultimately lacks the handling. The dealer could not specify the Dynamic pack but has ordered my ultimate spec RRS and I hope to swop the car over early next year, can't say fairer than that! I have done 7500m without a problem and love the car. I also own a Freelander and Defender again totally reliable. These are the first British cars I have owned and would totally recommend them.

Post #3552 Tue Oct 18 2005 10:02pm
Biggles

England 

paredes,
Two words sum up the Cayenne (PIG UGLY).
If I owned one I would always think it was a Volkswagen in disguise.

PS, Welcome to the site. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3556 Tue Oct 18 2005 10:30pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

John, I'm not so sure your experience is indicative of Cayennes in general, but I guess it's horses for courses isn't it? A colleague of mine has a Cayenne S and has had 1000s of trouble-free miles and very enjoyable driving from it Very Happy

We've talked about the Cayenne vs RRS thing before and I have to say it's a topic of interest for me. I have driven Cayennes (both the V6 and the S, not a Turbo unfortunately) and of course own a RRS HSE and can say that both cars are great in their own ways. I don't think it's really fair to compare the two as cars of equivalent function though - it's probably fair to say the Cayenne S is a slightly better performance car (in handling dynamics and acceleration) that the RRS S/C but only slightly. However, I was never very impressed with the interior trim of the Cayenne - I think it looks cheap and plasticky. The RRS has this sewn up in all corners. And of course the RRS is a Land Rover at the end of the day and will pretty much beat the Cayenne in off-road scenarios - even though for all it's performance points the Cayenne does very well over field and dale. I'd also say that storage space in the rear is better in the RRS if lugging stuff around with you is important. Then there's the looks - it's a unusual pair of eyes that tells you the Cayenne looks better than the RRS!

In the end, I think it will come down to your own personal decision. Drive the Cayenne in as many different circumstances as you can, then do the same with the RRS. There are pros & cons on either side - you might just end up on the side of the RRS.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #3557 Tue Oct 18 2005 10:37pm
John

United Kingdom 

Steve, Porsche do have a problem with the Cayenne in terms of reliability, I know of a other owners who have sold their cars back to Porsche, who themselves admit that they could not solve some of the issues. The tailgate catch for example was replaced by the 'modified' version that also failed, the only option was to disconnect the catch and not use the upper glass. As for the warning lights illuminating every journey for no reason this was put down to the use of fibre optics which were not properly tested before production. Water pouring through the headlining is another known fault.
Having said this I loved the car, its unique style and [in my opinion] high quality interior. I just need, and expect, a car to work!

Post #3559 Tue Oct 18 2005 11:16pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I have recently driven a RRS S/C and a Cayenne Turbo. These are very different cars. The Cayenne had blistering speed and breathtaking cornering ability. It was mind boggling for the first couple of hours, but once the novelty of being able to go that fast in a vehicle that big wore off, it became a bit of a pain. I really wouldn't want to live with it every day. The RRS on the other hand is actually a very civilised car. It can go pretty quickly (but never in the eye watering, neck snapping variety) and it handles pretty well (but not in the G force defying, train on tracks variety) but what it excels at is that it can do pretty much anything you ask it to. It can pootle about comfortably all day or it can pick up its skirts and run to the horizon (and everything in between). Maybe Range Rover means the range of rovering it can do ! Razz

Post #3560 Tue Oct 18 2005 11:39pm
Mr G in NYC

United States 

Before the RRsport SC was launched here in NYC I test drove the Cayenne
Turbo as I was contemplating purchasing it, it would have been my first non
LR vehicle since 1974 ! i have to say it was a very fast SUV....very impressive.....the thing I did not like about it was the Turbo lag...a split
second after flooring the accelerator to pick up speed...it was somewhat
disconcerting and a bit alarming as you then wanted to hit the brakes almost
straight away to control it. Also the ride was VERY stiff , more like a 911.
I was tempted but waited for the RRsport to debut and now with my RRsport SC i am glad that I waited as I much prefer the dynamics of the RRsport.
Plus its about $15-$20 K cheaper than the porsche !!So far so good !!

Post #3561 Tue Oct 18 2005 11:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1