Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2.7 TDV6 HSE vs 3.6 TDV8 HSE spec differences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Calcifur

United Kingdom 
2.7 TDV6 HSE vs 3.6 TDV8 HSE spec differences

Hi guys.

I am considering my first RRS and have been looking at what the options are. weighing it up looks like there may not be much in it as far as tdv6 or tdv8 in terms of reliabilty and economy. So looks like it may come down to what ever is the best/cleanest on the day, With that in mind I was wondering how the HSE specs differ on each model. Am I right ti think the TDV8 is better equiped?

Thanks

Post #559584 Fri Jun 22 2018 10:08pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The tdv8 require body removal for more tasks.
And can cost even more to maintain.

Yes the v8 has a few more bits like active cruise but try not let these influence you

Post #559588 Fri Jun 22 2018 10:57pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

TDv8 HSE had a chilled Centre cubby box and adaptive cruise that were not on the TDv6. 20” alloys were standard on the TDv8 and an option on all TDv6’s. Dynamic handling pack with electro/hydraulic rear antiroll bars was also standard on the V8 and an option on the V6. Very few pre-facelift HSE’s had the optional opening sunroof, for some reason it wasn’t a popular option. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #559589 Fri Jun 22 2018 11:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Calcifur

United Kingdom 

Andy K wrote:
The tdv8 require body removal for more tasks.
And can cost even more to maintain.

Did not know that, so will keep that in mind. I keep reading here that high(er) mileage with good service history is better than low milegage with less history, is that the case with both engines?

Andy K wrote:
Yes the v8 has a few more bits like active cruise but try not let these influence you

Rolling with laughter
Too late.....

I'm joking, still in the early stages, her in doors still needs to have a good look at one and cast her vote, bambino no2 on the way so she will have to drive it aswell.

Post #559592 Fri Jun 22 2018 11:37pm
Andy K

What year are you looking at and/or price ?

Dynamic handling pack with electro/hydraulic rear antiroll bar is another common failure point and can cost £1000 - £2000 to fix. Cars with this have a fluid container with yellow cap, at the front, on the DRIVERS side too.

In all seriousness I don't think I could afford 2 kids and an RRS!
Look at something smaller. Scenic / Zafira sized.

Post #559604 Sat Jun 23 2018 9:32am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

TDV8;
brembo brakes
Adaptive cruise
Dynamic suspension
Rear locking dif (standard on G4 and sorry car to thing what the other model is) optional extra on HSE
Problems, turbos which mean body off, warped exhaust manifolds, body off, front/rear dynamic bars rear seems to go more than front, had mine done last year £700 keep the cost down by saucing your own parts then just pay for labour ! Torque converter (juddering on acceleration) changed mine for £500 (did the job myself) EPB

TDV6;
Cambelts, oil pump torque converter (as above) as same box etc unless later car with 8 speed box don’t know if they have problems, exhaust balance pipe splitting, turbo, EPB

There are other common faults which I’m sure will be mentioned like suspension bushes but there wear and tear items but don’t let this put you off the cars as there all maybe/ might happen, find the car and then make up your own mind , good luck 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #559606 Sat Jun 23 2018 11:07am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Rear locking dif (standard on G4 and sorry car to thing what the other model is) optional extra on HSE

HST is the other model with locking diff as standard. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #559607 Sat Jun 23 2018 11:16am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The TDV8 is a better vehicle all round than the 2.7TDV6. Both are costly to maintain and both have things go wrong. A full and extensive history is required for both but even then they can throw up issues seemingly just for fun.

As standard, the TDV8 has adaptive cruise control, chiller cubby in the arm rest, active anti roll bars, Brembo 4-pot front brakes, heated seats front and rear, adaptive bi-xenon headlights. All of these could be added as an option to the 2.7. The one thing the 2.7 can't have as an option is the excellent TDV8 engine. It sounds good, it goes well, it's capable of reasonable fuel economy. If you're going to buy the 2.7, you may as well buy a Disco 3 and benefit from the extra family-friendly room / seats etc.

The TDV8 can suffer turbo issues but it doesn't suffer from EGR problems like the 2.7 seems to. The 2.7 has a cross over pipe at the rear of the engine. This can fail. The active anti roll bars can leak - usually the rear one - and are an expensive fix but they make the vehicle better on and off road.

The whole "body off to sort things" is said with fear by many but the reality is that it's not a big issue. Don't worry about it too much. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #559608 Sat Jun 23 2018 11:18am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Col wrote:

HST is the other model with locking diff as standard. Thumbs Up

The locking rear diff added as an option is rarer than a rare thing. Hardly any have them fitted.

The HST didn't always have the locking rear diff. The ones that had the HST kit added by the dealer didn't get the locking rear diff. Anyone buying an HST for the rear diff needs to check to make sure before they buy. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #559609 Sat Jun 23 2018 11:22am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

+1 ^
The only HST’s with the locking rear diff are the factory built ones and even then I think it was an option - will dig out my sales brouchure for the HST later. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #559613 Sat Jun 23 2018 12:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

The only true HST's were the factory built one's, the dealer one's were simply a HSE fitted with a HST body kit, as the factory version also had a sunroof, rear entertainment system, higher spec sound system and also slightly different trims on the door panels, as well as locking rear diff as standard according to the HST brochure I had if I remember correctly, the options were not to have those items fitted. However I stand to be corrected.

Cheers
Col

Post #559618 Sat Jun 23 2018 12:50pm
Andy K

Only the early TDv6 didn't have brembo's .

chiller is common on the later 2.7.

All UK HSE's had 4 heated seats
All UK HSE had bi-xenon. (adaptive part is another common failure)

They are all nice cars when they are working.

Post #559639 Sat Jun 23 2018 5:56pm
Calcifur

United Kingdom 

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the potential for high running costs and I am still mulling this fact over. Currently I have a series 1 RX8, they aren't cheap to run, thirsty on fuel and oil, top tax band, pretty high ensurance. My pertner has a '12 desiel ds3 and it recon in the 4 years we have owned it, it has cost more in repair bills than my mazda has. easy £400-£500 every time its in at the garage.

To asnwer one question my budget is £10k and I dont mind about age/mileage too much, so long as it isnt stupid miels that are on it. as seem to be mentioned here high mileage doesnt always = a bad thing, if it has the service history behind. But to be honest I think that can be applied to any car these days.

Today we went and viewed this RRS
https://www.mts-vehiclesales.com/used-land...gus-982441

what a dog!!
The guy is asking £10,500 (originally listed at £14,500) looks OK in the pics but....
Drivers door doesn't lock
Driver's side rear door doesn't unlock
door pulls all scrathed and chipped
The covering that goes over the wheel arch on the rear seats was of ripped
Boot lining was haning off..
Only donw 83k miles

Just proves low miles don't mean squat!

Thankfully we only went so that my partner could have a good look at one as she hasn't sat in one before.

Any way plenty more to see. She like the idea if the adaptive suspension, and ACC so that may sway things to the TDV8. but who knows. ALso looked at a FL2 and I have to say I was a little disapointed, I remember my step fathers one being much nicer.

anyway, sorry for the long post. Lots of good points to take on board. (in response to 'get a Scenic' I want it to be able to safely tow a 4berth caravan when we get one, and I am sure it could do it but I wouldn't liek to try it. only my opnion..)

Going to view this one next higher miles but looks to be a better car.
https://www.gordonsmithcarsales.co.uk/cars...se/195505/

Post #559645 Sat Jun 23 2018 8:43pm
Andy K

A basic one you went to see then.

Post #559654 Sat Jun 23 2018 10:05pm
Calcifur

United Kingdom 

yeah, was just to let my partner see it, never intended to buuy that one. just couldn't believe how bad it was. I don't think he will get £10,500 for it in that state.

Post #559667 Sat Jun 23 2018 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>