RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Windscreen Information
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand
Windscreen Information

Apologies for the long post but i thought this may be of interest to some of you, maybe more so possibly in the future if you unlucky enough to require a new windscreen

Having recently gone through the saga of getting my insurance company (Admiral) to replace my cracked screen with an original LR part, which in the end they agreed to do due to the car being under 3 years old, I was expecting all of the markings to be the same as per the original (acoustic etc)

I was aware that the Pilkington glass without the LR logo but with all the rest of the markings was the same and when Autoglass turned up with the screen and I saw the LR logo on there I was happy. Because I was at the time busy on ladders around the back of the house I didnt inspect it fully and left the fitters to do be rest. One hour later it was all done, new clips etc fitted and off they went.

The day after I tested that everything worked ok (auto lights, wipers etc) which they did but then noticed that the screen did not have the Acoustic and Heated symbols on it. I could tell it was heated but had no way of verifying that it was acoustic. I queried this with Autoglass and was informed that all screens now manufactured for RR Sports by Pilkington were acoustic hence there was no need for the symbol to be there since there was no other screen to differentiate with.

Being somewhat sceptical I asked to see the part number of the screen that was supplied. On checking this number with my local dealer it transpired that it was the correct part number but they couldn't confirm if the latest screens had the markings on them or not.

Still sceptical I finally found a contact email for Pilkington so asked them the question. It turns out that Autoglass were indeed correct in informing me that the latest Pilkington screens for RR Sports are all acoustic. Here's the email I received from Pilkington.

"Good afternoon Mr Cooper,

I can confirm that the information you have received from the replacement company is correct, the screen is acoustic, if you look at the below picture of your trademark there is a code which tells us the materials of construction used.

M1260-1

1 – Laminated glass
2 – Green
60 – total thickness of 6mm
-1 – Acoustic PVB used

The reason the ‘Ear symbol’ is not on the new production is due to the In-metro logo which has been added for south American Homologation reason simply taking up too much space in the trademark area so certain symbols were removed, the acoustic Ear being one of them.
As a comment though most Range rover sport screens are acoustic as standard.

Hope that helps"

And a photo of the information printed on the screen, with the new logo but now not showing the acoustic and heated symbols. Apologies for the shadowy pic but you can just make out the M1260-1 bit, which was also present on the original screen info.
New

Original

Post #445387 Mon Dec 15 2014 5:55pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

An excellent post and thanks for sharing the info with us all. Always nice to be armed with facts should the need to argue with a screen supplier in the future. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #445397 Mon Dec 15 2014 7:07pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Here's a better image/close up of the information code (highlighted in the red box) required for the correct spec Pilkington screen

Click image to enlarge

Post #445563 Tue Dec 16 2014 8:27pm
brentpix

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Superb post!

I have Autoglass here right now. Its their second visit their first attempt ending with me rejecting
a very cheap and actually left hand drive pattern part from who knows where.

It was very poor, wrong colour, the 'black' areas were almost see through and as stated it was literally a LHD part as the makers stamp was hovering half way into the drivers vision.

Several weeks on and having to wait for my insurer LVE to authorise a factory part it arrived an hour ago and as you mentioned is minus the acoustic symbols. The fitters are great guys and have done their best to establish if it is acoustic but no one at Autoglass really knows!

I'd just spoken to a parts guy at my local dealer he said some screens for the part number will have the marks but later ones dont and seeing your post just explains why perfectly.

Big sigh of relief as I really didnt relish the thought of having to get it taken out if it wasnt acoustic!

Cheers!

Post #558940 Thu Jun 14 2018 1:08pm
PIG88

United Kingdom 

Great post - thank you. Excellent to have this for reference when/if the time comes!

Post #558946 Thu Jun 14 2018 4:05pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have to go through this soon due to a crack starting to spread, great post and thanks for sharing the knowledge Bow down Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18โ€ Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Post #558948 Thu Jun 14 2018 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1