RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Are my brakes working properly?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bensrrsport

United Kingdom 
Are my brakes working properly?

I picked up my 3-year-old SDV6 Dynamic AB yesterday from Rybrooks and on the long journey home I was very unimpressed with the brakes. Considering everything else in the car is smooth and requires little effort, the braking performance seemed soft and hard work.

There is some travel before the brakes bite properly and then they require more effort than expected to haul the car to a stop. I was told that the pads and the discs are less than half worn and the brake fluid was changed a few weeks ago.

I am used to driving a 2-year-old Passat Estate and the brakes provide substantially more confidence.

Is the braking feel and performance on the RRS something I need to get used to or does it sound like my brakes need to be looked at?

Post #557800 Wed May 30 2018 11:26pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I can't speak for the SDV6 but the brakes on my TDV8 (admittedly with Brembos) are amazing considering you are stopping 2.5 tons of vehicle. With all the work they say you have had done, I would think they are worth a check. Do you have a local independent you could take it to? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #557810 Thu May 31 2018 6:46am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is quite a weight difference between a Passat and an RRS, but RRS brakes are well up to the job of stopping the car. If you are concerned get the dealer to check them out. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu May 31 2018 10:56am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #557816 Thu May 31 2018 9:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bensrrsport

United Kingdom 

Thanks Eaters and Tim.

The car is Landrover approved used, fresh from its 165 point checks - so was hoping everything would have been tested thoroughly already.

I also thought as its allot heavier than the cars I am used to it may not brake in the same way. I am expecting to feel confident with the brakes though.

I have contacted Rybrooks and asked them how they want to handle this. Being 250 miles away it makes it trickier!

Cheers

Post #557817 Thu May 31 2018 10:00am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If its LR approved take it to nearest LR dealership to check it out.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #557818 Thu May 31 2018 10:11am
Bensrrsport

United Kingdom 

Ok thanks. I thought I would have to take it back to the supplying dealer otherwise they would charge a diagnostics fee.

Post #557827 Thu May 31 2018 11:42am
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Bensrrsport wrote:
The car is Landrover approved used, fresh from its 165 point checks - so was hoping everything would have been tested thoroughly already.

Although we should be able to, I wouldn't put too much confidence in the 165 point check, or rather in whether the dealer has actually corrected any issue's raised. Just a couple of weeks after buying my RRS the park brake seized - no issue, it'll be fixed....but the mechanic raised/video'd issue on the disks being corroded so needing replaced and a few other issue's. While I got the parts all replaced it was pretty obvious the dealer was leaving things, I assume to then raise at a later time so making them further profit rather than an expense to themselves (this was Peter Vardy LR in Aberdeen, and I pushed the issue until they sent me proof it was actually inspected....but clearly showing the inspection had actually highlighted corroded disks which should have been replaced pre-sale!)

But for brakes, I have to take care when jumping in my wife's Evoque as I tend to almost fire people through the windscreen when braking as they are much sharper than my RRS, which in itself has perfectly good brakes. Some cars just have sharper brakes. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #557871 Thu May 31 2018 10:12pm
Macdaddy

Currently got a Velar D300 as a courtesy car and even the Mrs commented how poor the brakes were compared to the RRS.

Agree with these guys though, it's going to be a world away from the Passat especially if your motoring or descending a slip road. TDV8 RRS HST in Java - Gone
TDV6 RRS Autobiography in Bali blue - Gone
TDV6 RRS Autobiography Dynamic - Current

Post #557926 Fri Jun 01 2018 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1