RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > TDV8 Blown turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rob876

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue
TDV8 Blown turbo

Here is my tale of woe. A few weeks ago I just started driving my beloved TDV8 Sport when without any notice I had a sudden loss of power followed by a large cloud of white smoke billowing from the rear offside exhaust pipe. I guessed immediately that a turbo had blown and eventually had the car recovered to Mike Harding Landrover at Bovey Tracey (South Devon). As I suspected, a blown turbo was diagnosed, which all who read these posts know, requires a full body off to repair/replace.
Here is a bit of history of my car: It’s a 2010 model that I purchased from a dealer about 2 years ago when it had 82k on the clock. It had a full service history and a 12 month warranty. I was very pleased with it and as many have commented on these pages, it never fails to put a smile on my face when a drive it. My wife also loves to get behind the wheel (when I let her!).
When the warranty expired last year I took the decision not to renew it but to maintain a contingency fund instead.
The car had 108k on the clock when it went pop.
Once the body was off it was obvious that both turbos needed replacing and it was also noticed that there was an oil leak on the rear stabiliser bar, so I had that replaced as well. I also got them to replace all the brake pipes while they were easy to get at. The MOT was due in June so I got them to do that at the same time.
I got the car back today and it was a pleasure to get behind the wheel again. Mike Harding Landrover have done a fabulous job and even waxoyld the whole underside without any prompting from me. Although I’ve ended up with a bill north of £5k I am pleased with the result and hope to keep the car for a few years.
I know there have been many discussions on these pages about the necessity/benefit of a warranty on a Range Rover Sport, but opinions are like backsides - everyone has got one!
As we all know, a Range Rover Sport is not cheap to run but it is brilliant to drive. Fingers crossed for a few trouble free miles.

Post #557407 Fri May 25 2018 5:15pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Glad it all ended well, good idea to replace the brake pipes while the body was off, did you also have an inspection of the suspension - especially the doughnuts - at the same time? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #557409 Fri May 25 2018 5:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A bill of £5k sounds pretty good for 2 turbos, an anti roll bar and brake pipes. Or was it a long way north of £5k...? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #557410 Fri May 25 2018 5:54pm
Rob876

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

The whole of the suspension was checked and given a clean bill of health.
Don’t want to give full details of the bill in case my wife clocks this post! It was less than £6.5k. Enough said.

Post #557415 Fri May 25 2018 6:27pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Had a similar experience to you with my SC a week ago. No warranty but enough 'land rover' savings to cover a bill north of 4k. I am considering a warranty now but can't decide. Glad it all worked out for you. When they're on form these cars are just fantastic, but they can be a cruel mistress at times even if you think you've bought a good example!

Post #557438 Sat May 26 2018 6:21am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Rob876 wrote:
It was less than £6.5k. Enough said.

That sounds ok for that amount of work. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #557441 Sat May 26 2018 7:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1