RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 4.2 RRS Supercharged or Cayenne Turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hoople

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Nobody prepared to comment on the offroad capablities of both cars then? Cayenne is basically a Touareg underneath and is very good offroad but like RRS you rarely see one where it was designed to go.............

I took both my previous Sport and FF off road and they were great at it!.
The mk1 Cayennes are very good off road apparently, they’ve got locking centre and rear diffs and a low range gearbox, I think they fall a little short of Range Rovers on ground clearance, but not by that much.

There seems to be more RRS Supercharged around at the moment than Cayenne Turbos, so this could be a deciding factor itself.
It’s hard to find one of either that isn’t black though!.

Post #556641 Wed May 16 2018 5:30pm
Hoople

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Hoople wrote:

The thing that makes me slightly nervous about another RR was the gearbox failing at just over 100k, now to be fair this could be down to it never having the fluid changed as it wasn’t the best maintained example before I had it.
If they love had the fluid changed on time are the boxes usually ok?.

The gearbox shouldn't fail at 100k just because the fluid is original. It might get arsey and play about but fail, no. LR state 150k miles between gearbox fluid changes. ZF now recommend about 75k as the change point. Of course, if they had done a lot of heavy towing then the gearbox would have needed new oil much sooner.

I wonder if someone either put the wrong fluid in it, or it suffered from an early problem which was coolant getting in to the system. The radiator design on the 2.7 (and the petrols possibly) meant that occasionally there would be a leak between the cooling system and the transmission resulting in contamination of the gearbox oil.

If you get another RRS, factor in a transmission fluid change at around 60-70k miles. Do the transfer box and diffs too - although I think they are done at shorter intervals than the gearbox anyway.

Mine went into fail safe mode a few times and that was it,the torque converter had also gone and it was very juddery, apparently the ZF box in them and many other cars of the era is quite well known for playing up without regular fluid changes- wish I’d known this then!.

Post #556643 Wed May 16 2018 5:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Also I believe that the RRS’s are right on the torque limit for the ZF box 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #556674 Wed May 16 2018 10:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The SC and the TDV8 have beefed up internals to deal with the grunt. They have an extra planet gear in the epicyclic if I remember correctly. Reading elsewhere, the problem with the gearbox is that the oil degrades with use (especially if lots of towing is done as this heats the box more than normal running) and causes a deposition on the torque converter lock up clutch plate. This is what causes the juddering as the friction coefficient is reduced allowing slip. Regular fluid changes reduce the problem. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #556678 Wed May 16 2018 10:27pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Nobody prepared to comment on the offroad capablities of both cars then? Cayenne is basically a Touareg underneath and is very good offroad but like RRS you rarely see one where it was designed to go.............

Take an HST like mine off road and you`ll be looking for a new front end quite soon Laughing Steve.

Post #556711 Thu May 17 2018 2:20pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

HST was considered a girly car when it was launched because it’s offroad ability was compromised......... and it had different sized exhausts - who would want that - of course that lead the way for the offset number plate of the D5! Only yummy mums wanted a Range Rover that couldn’t go offroad without the risk of expensive bodywork damage. IIRC there was a “health” warning about the unsuitability of taking further offroad than some long grass......they couldn’t even mount a kerb without risking damaging that front snowplough. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #556722 Thu May 17 2018 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Cymruambyth wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Take an HST like mine off road and you`ll be looking for a new front end quite soon Laughing

Good news. The HST is not a good looking version of the RRS. Whistle Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #556736 Thu May 17 2018 7:58pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
HST was considered a girly car when it was launched because it’s offroad ability was compromised......... and it had different sized exhausts - who would want that - of course that lead the way for the offset number plate of the D5! Only yummy mums wanted a Range Rover that couldn’t go offroad without the risk of expensive bodywork damage. IIRC there was a “health” warning about the unsuitability of taking further offroad than some long grass......they couldn’t even mount a kerb without risking damaging that front snowplough.

Blimey...I didn`t realise that people had to take them off road to be accepted as proper owners Rolling Eyes

Maybe some people buy them for the driving position, all the room, big boot, towing ability etc., etc! Steve.

Post #556755 Thu May 17 2018 10:28pm
RRSTDV8

If you don't get it muddy then you're not a proper owner. It says so in the manual. Honest. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #556758 Thu May 17 2018 10:55pm
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Now now boys , let’s all play nicely Whistle

For what it’s worth , I’d choose a rrs any day over a cayenne , my brother had a cayenne which I drove many times , and I must admit the rrs is a much better place to sit , either off road or on road
but that is just my personal opinion.

Post #556759 Thu May 17 2018 11:19pm
nikd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

ive had both, just come from a cayenne 4.5s to a RRS supercharged. the RRS is a much nicer place to sit but heavier marginally on fuel.

Post #556846 Fri May 18 2018 8:28pm
Hoople

I’m going to look at a Cayenne this afternoon, from previous experience I know more or less what an RRS will be like, it will just have more spec and power than my old one, I know how they drive etc, so might as well see if I even like the Cayenne enough to carry on considering one or just go for an RRS.

Post #556894 Sat May 19 2018 12:30pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Let us know what you think Thumbs Up

Post #556906 Sat May 19 2018 5:06pm
Hoople

I thought whoever said the interior doesn’t feel as nice was spot on, the seats feel harder, and I now know what you mean about the vents etc feeling more fragile.
On the other side of things though it was in good condition and drove very well, very impressed with how well it held the road for a big 4x4, and that engine is fantastic!. Going to be a really hard choice between the two now, going to see an RRS tomorrow.

Post #556910 Sat May 19 2018 5:15pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Are you allowed to show us which one you viewed? Not sure if that breaks any forum rules... but it'd be interesting to see the two cars you're comparing!

Post #556912 Sat May 19 2018 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>