RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Gvif, Reverse Camera & TV Tuner Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

TMUNRO87

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Gvif, Reverse Camera & TV Tuner Install

Hey so ive managed to install the gvif and tv tuner. Both units are under my passenger seat, the gvif just fits beside the sat nav dvd unit and the tv tuner is further back on a bracket just out of sight but so the usb is accessible.

Power: Wired a cable into the centre console and took power from the back of the cigerette lighter and also fitted an inline fuse, Did originally take power from the harmon amp but after realised the unit was still live after complete shut down of car. Under seat I have wired a plug connector where feeds for the gvif, tv tuner and both tv aerials are supplied.

IR's and switch: The Tv tuner ir has been run along the side of the centre console just under the plastics on the passenger side, behind the glove box and neatly comes out beside the air vent on the passenger side rubber mat area. The gvif has run under the centre console onto the driver side along the same route as tv tuner although opposite side and the ir sensor is hidden out of view but works if remote pointed at floor, this ir will hardly be used so i wanted it discreetly placed, the tv tuner is in an more open area as it is easily to point at and passenger can use too. Switch is run along exactly same route as gvif ir but runs higher up to just above the knee.

Aerials/ Antennas: ok so these were awkward to position in a strong signal area of the car especially at the back due to having dark tints. At first i was unaware these had to be on the windows to work effectively so i put them in the headlining and only got bbc channels. Now one is in the top left corner of my windscreen and the other is low down on the rear window, i did also try going either side on the rear quarter windows but this proved a bad signal area too. to get to these points i took the trim off between the drivers and passengers door ran my cables up and along into the headlining the where ever i wanted to go.

Gvif settings: Ok so most the tabs just activate or deactivate different video feeds. the two tabs second from the end need to be positioned up for the gvif to display a clear picture, i knocked these tabs and had the image dancing around the screen for a while.

Audio: I plan to run an audio cable coming off the back off the auxiliary port but have no experience in audio cables and soldering so currently i have just ran my audio cable to the normal port on the centre console.

Got a few pics of the install and will take some more tomorrow. Waiting the the reverse camera to turn up if anyone has done this please give me some pointers on how the tackle the boot and route you used to run cables Smile

Last edited by TMUNRO87 on Sat May 17 2014 1:25pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #424320 Wed May 14 2014 9:45pm
TMUNRO87

Heres the pics from the reverse camera install, found it quite difficult and struggled with routing wiring around boot, but its in and functioning as it should. Broke my phone from when i did the gvif install so not as many pics of that but ill load what i have in the next post.

Black Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2005 with exterior overfinch bodykit
Mods:
Gvif/freeview tv/ reverse camera/led headlight and tail light conversion

Post #424556 Sat May 17 2014 12:58pm
TMUNRO87

Cost of install:
GVIF 7.2 : £192
Tv Unit: £163
Reverse Camera: £28
Misc cables, leads and inline fuses etc: £30

Tools needed:
Philips Screwdriver
Torx 25
Wire cutters
Soldering iron
Stanley knife Black Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2005 with exterior overfinch bodykit
Mods:

Post #424557 Sat May 17 2014 1:07pm
JMJ

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Stornoway Grey

Hello, please could you offer some advice regarding getting a rear view camera working in my RRS. I have bought a GVIF interface unit, LR gvif lead and reverse light camera. Am I right in thinking the grey [rear] on interface needs to be connected to reverse light live feed along with the live to camera?
What settings would I need to put the toggle switches in?
With the above connected along with camera leads and interface live/earth should the camera just start woring as soon as I put it in reverse gear or will I need to alter anything on my display unit first?
Thankyou.

Post #424628 Sun May 18 2014 4:58pm
TMUNRO87

Yes the grey wire on the gvif has to be connected to your reverse light, i took mine from the rear left cluster. Its the upper centre cable out of the six on the mconnector you need, green and red i think the cable was. I personally didnt connect my camera power feed into The reverse light as i got mine set up so i can switch to the camera without selecting reverse. Instead my camera is wired into the back of the cigerette lighter in the boot. My yellow av video lead has a splitter on it meaning it goes into the rear camera input and my av3. Black Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2005 with exterior overfinch bodykit
Mods:

Post #424641 Sun May 18 2014 6:39pm
JMJ

Thankyou for the help, I 'will be having a go at getting it all in there this week. Can anyone comfirm the switch positions?

Post #424803 Tue May 20 2014 9:34pm
PEACHY

England 

Have a look in my gallery Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #424807 Tue May 20 2014 10:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BRO-T

United Kingdom 

Hi, can you tell me where you brought the camera and GVIF interface. I.m buying a RRS 2007 later this week and first thing I want to do is install a reversing camera.

Thanks

Post #425211 Sun May 25 2014 10:57am
JMJ

I bought through Amazon but it actually comes from Asia. I then had to buy the correct Land Rover cable as it came with the Lexus one.

Post #425226 Sun May 25 2014 4:19pm
JMJ

I've tried setting my camera up this morning, but its not working. I have wired in and set switches as above.
The interface unit has both red and green lights on, then if I select reverse the sat nav screen goes off but stays black. The camera is definately powered up and connected to the 'rear camera' yellow lead.
Has any one got any ideas? Possibly a faulty camera but short of trying another one can't see how to test it.
Thankyou.

Post #425286 Mon May 26 2014 12:35pm
TMUNRO87

Hey buddy test the camera by plugging it into one of your av ports. Also check your camera is getting a 12v feed. The unit is switching so hopefully its ok that end. Black Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2005 with exterior overfinch bodykit
Mods:

Post #425333 Mon May 26 2014 9:47pm
TMUNRO87

If your camera is fed off your reverse light make sure you put car in reverse when testing on another av port too. Black Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2005 with exterior overfinch bodykit
Mods:

Post #425334 Mon May 26 2014 9:48pm
rigsby

England 

BRO-T wrote:
Hi, can you tell me where you brought the camera and GVIF interface. I.m buying a RRS 2007 later this week and first thing I want to do is install a reversing camera.

Thanks

The GVIF units and cameras are available from Hids4u near Southampton. Google them Thumbs Up MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #425341 Mon May 26 2014 10:29pm
BRO-T

United Kingdom 

Hi TMUNRO87

Did you have to remove much of the interior trim to wire in the camera and the GVIF? If so, have you developed any new rattles?

Do you have any more pics please of where you have got power feeds from and reverse light feed?

Am I right in thinking, by connecting to the reverse light feed, this will trigger the camera to come on the screen at the front when you select reverse? IF not, then how would I do that?

Thanks and sorry for the novice questions.

Post #425352 Tue May 27 2014 8:04am
rigsby

England 

When I did mine i took the 12v for the camera from the 12v cigarette socket in the boot and the feed for the reverse from the wires behind the reverse light cluster in the rear MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #425358 Tue May 27 2014 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>