RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Quandary.....keep or change for older higher spec?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Quandary.....keep or change for older higher spec?

Just been told that my build and delivery dates for the Countryman have slipped back again by 2 weeks - original delivery was March and now mid-late June........ seriously considering cancelling the car but have the following quandries:

A) Stick with the new car and bide my time?

B)do I keep my 2015MY SDv6 HSE Dynamic with 21000 miles on it and gamble that the crank won’t snap

C) I can not afford to buy a new order RRS HSE D and for sure don’t want to pay the additional Luxury Car Tax, however I have seen some 2014 and 2015MY 5.0ltr S/C’s and 4.4SDV8’S within my budget BUT is it worth exchanging to an older, higher spec and MUCH higher mileage car - i’m Looking at 45,000+ miles cars?

My annual mileage has dropped to about 7000 pa so the extra fuel,of a 5.0S/C isn’t really an issue but I was trying to “green” my motoring a bit and avoid taxes - I have set myself an upper limit of £55,000 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #555434 Mon Apr 30 2018 11:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
syl

United Kingdom 

Keep the RRS and buy an extended warranty. I think if you bought the car new from LR and have a LR extended warranty, you will be looked after one way or another in the event of a crank failure. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555438 Mon Apr 30 2018 11:31am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

From my point of view I would go for A or B.
A You obviously really seem to like the Countryman & from your previous posts, you have driven it for a few days (I think) & had a lot of good things to say about it. If you do not go for it, in a couple of months time any time you see one you will say "I should have just waited". I assume you are trading in, so ask if they will take your car sooner & see if they will give you a courtesy car for a couple of weeks or possibly longer
B The crank issue is over hyped I think (hope I'm not tempting fate). If you read all the horror stories on any car you would never have a car. Porsche, IMS bearings, bore scoring. Forums are good but you mainly her the moans as there is no story sayin my car's fine
C I take it you bought your car new, so you know how its been treated & its relatively low miles, so why pay more for double the mileage with maybe a couple of extra options that you will rarely use. Yes, it goes a bit quicker but in the real world it dosnt (that's coming from someone who has a Porsche 911 & an F type Jag) plus you don't know how its been driven
That's my tuppence worth, will now take cover Whistle

Post #555440 Mon Apr 30 2018 12:00pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

You seem to be pleased with your RRS so I'd go with B. I recently spoke to the service manager at my local RR service centre about the crank issue. He made no attempt to deny it although said it is not very common. In all cases they have dealt with where the car is covered by RR warranty and has been serviced correctly they have had no issues with LR not paying for the repair. He stated that this did include cars over 3 years old.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #555441 Mon Apr 30 2018 12:12pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Go for the Mini Tim,,you know you want one Laughing Laughing

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #555442 Mon Apr 30 2018 12:15pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Option C would be an easy 'no' from me. An older, higher mileage, more expensive car over the one you've owned from day 1, know the history of and have used sympathetically? Why?

A or B depend on what you want as they are 2 massively different cars. While the situation with your Mini is frustrating, if I try hard to read between the lines (and I may be completely off), you are a bit concerned that you will miss your RRS and looking for reasons to stay in it Laughing You have already taken the biggest depreciation hit (new car, bad press for diesel etc.). The next hit I think will be when RRS3 is announced but *should* be much smaller. You probably have the 5 year service pack too - every little helps.

Mine will be 3 years old in September, is approaching 22k miles and right now I can't fault it. So I am also considering keeping it but the crank issue is my main concern too. However, I am also of the same opinion as syl that if you have owned the car from new, have looked after it and the history is clean, you have a better chance of LR paying if the crank goes (statistics still suggest it is a very small percentage of failures). Just my 2p. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #555447 Mon Apr 30 2018 1:23pm
Farmer Chalk

Unless it’s a 5 litre supercharged nutter bastard car which will make you smile just of the sound of it starting!

I originally had the sister car to your current RRS and thought it was great...rather than buy new I bought a year old 5.0 SC AB...

It’s awesome and I love every day driving it!
Do it! Very Happy

Post #555472 Mon Apr 30 2018 6:57pm
Nowaytk

England 

I would go with what syl & fkarim have said and keep yours, ( you must of got used to not having the heated steering wheel by now 😆), and although when my crank went it was a very stressful time not knowing if it was covered or not, I think that was mostly down to this forum 🙄, with the majority saying the LR warranty wouldn’t cover it. If I wasn’t on here, I would’ve been none the wiser and assumed it was covered, which, surprise surprise, it was, and although I’ve not got it anymore, the velar I’ve got (which I’d ordered before the crank issue) has exactly the same engine so you can assume I’m not worried about cranks anymore Laughing as others have said get the LR warranty and enjoy Thumbs Up 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #555478 Mon Apr 30 2018 8:04pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

Are you a homosexual ? If the answer is no then shelve the mini- because it’s gay.

Either of the other options are fine, aslong As the mini doesn’t happen.

(And your dramatic signature will have to change if you stick with the brand aswell) Rolling with laughter

*all said in jest - apart from the mini being gay * 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #555480 Mon Apr 30 2018 8:24pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Unless it’s a 5 litre supercharged nutter bastard car which will make you smile just of the sound of it starting Very Happy

I totally agree.I only use mine at on weekends,,,when it’s stood on the drive all week I think to myself,,why have I got 55k just sat there I must sell it,,then when I get it in Saturday morning my mind is changed within the first 100 Yard’s of driving it.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #555482 Mon Apr 30 2018 8:50pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Ignore the hooligans and the stereotyping generaliser Tim Rolling with laughter Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #555487 Mon Apr 30 2018 9:48pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Get a 5.0SC and enjoy driving your RRS rather than worrying about crankshafts and other Censored . You're retiring and will soon be bed ridden with a tube down your nose and another up your willy. Live a little, while you still can. Thumbs Up

This has been a public announcement by the Life's Too Short Party. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #555491 Mon Apr 30 2018 10:08pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

fkarim wrote:
Ignore the hooligans and the stereotyping generaliser Tim Rolling with laughter

But you can’t ignore a stereo typing hooligan. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Last edited by james5599 on Tue May 01 2018 2:00am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #555492 Mon Apr 30 2018 10:22pm
BKHK

Australia 

keep or....get an SC, did I say, get an SC? Shelve the Mini idea.

Post #555495 Mon Apr 30 2018 10:53pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

james5599 wrote:
But you can’t ignore an stereo typing hooligan.

Oops! Didn’t see your signature before Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #555497 Mon Apr 30 2018 11:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>