RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > What happens when you break down...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HossBog

United Kingdom 
What happens when you break down...

On my way to work Friday morning, dull thud from front of RRS (MY 16 SDV6 19,000 miles). ‘D’ light flashes on gear selector and lose drive. Coast to stop, car won’t restart, completely dead - and no warning lights.

Call Land Rover assist at 6.30am, AA patrol comes at 7.30am. They can’t diagnose fault (low gearbox voltage?) and so arrange recovery - which takes another hour and they also request a courtesy car.

At 9am call Land Rover assisit and ask about courtesy car - then go through 4 phone calls between assist and the car hire people with one saying details have been passed on, and car hire people denying this. Apparently due to a ‘portal failure’.

Car hire people call me back at 10.10 to get my details for delivery of car. It turns out the nearest car is in Coventry - 30 miles away - and would I mind getting a taxi (which they’ll pay for) and collecting it?

I point out that I’m now working from home as I can’t get to work, so no, I can’t make a 60 mile round trip.

Eventually 2 very nice chaps drop off a Disco Sport at 6.45pm!

So the morale of the story is if you think Land Rover assist will get you a car sorted in an hour or two, you’ll be dissapointed!

Still no idea what’s wrong with my RRS either... Crying or Very sad

Post #555304 Sun Apr 29 2018 7:26am
james5599

United Kingdom 

How frustrating ,

However getting a car the same day I d consider a positive. Maybe I have low expectations Rolling with laughter 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #555313 Sun Apr 29 2018 9:21am
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

It's far from as good as it use to be, they changed the car hire company a few years ago.

Think it was initially enterprise who would open up in the middle of the night and drop the car off at your house, it's now thrifty who don't seam to have a massive amount of JLR products in stock.

Given LR class themselves as a premium brand they really should revolve around you...

Post #555334 Sun Apr 29 2018 12:36pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

^^^^ makes sense as when I had the need - many years ago it was enterprise who dropped off a discovery 4 to me in double quick time . The vogue I had broke down once a month regularly ! Big Cry

Haven’t had to use them since (touch wood) 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #555342 Sun Apr 29 2018 1:10pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

That is awful service compared to Mercedes. A couple of years ago, I went over something which burst two tyres & damaged one wheel. About ten other cars did the same. It was about 5.30am. Phoned Mercedes assistance who said they would have it uplifted & a car arranged for me. Waited less than an hour, car & myself uplifted & taken 30 miles to Main dealer. Mercedes Assist arranged for a Mercedes rental to be waiting for me there. My car was an S class & the replacement was a C class but that was fine by me. However during the drive to my office, Mercedes phoned me to see if everything was ok. She asked if I had been given an S class & when I said it was a C class, she was furious. I said not to worry, it was fine but she insisted that it would be changed that morning & it was about an hour later. They kept me updated & had my car back within a couple of days as they had to wait on a new wheel. Brilliant service

Post #555355 Sun Apr 29 2018 2:28pm
RAW

This has been an issue with JLR for a while as i tow a lot with my D4 Commercial and the LRA supplied vehicles will not come with a Tow Bar, which can be an issue when you have got to the dealer on restricted performance and your sat there with the trailer and a discovery sport with no tow bar arrives, The last time it happened my dealer put a tow bar on there demo and let me have it for the 3 days, but probably as the trailer was going to be in there way.
It did use to be better with enterprise but think it all went a bit wrong when enterprise changed there rules and required you to go to there nearest office before handing the car over. MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 Commercial Indus Silver

Post #555363 Sun Apr 29 2018 4:16pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Also sending AA technicians who don’t know that much about the car and as the very nice guy who turned up on Friday also admitted - they don’t have the proper diagnostic tools. Also happened when the AA turned up to look at my malfunctioning auto-access height and couldn’t do anything. When the proper LR assit person came he knew what to do immediately.

But I’m more worried now about what’s actually wrong with my car....

Post #555372 Sun Apr 29 2018 5:45pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

It’s sounds ominously like a crank failure...

Post #555376 Sun Apr 29 2018 5:55pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

That’s what I’m worried about...

Post #555405 Sun Apr 29 2018 8:57pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Guy Salmon still haven’t even looked at it. I’m now told tomorrow or even Friday....so it’s been sat at the garage for nearly a week (or even a week if Fri) before they even look at it...

At least they phoned me to tell me - my expectations are so low I’m just grateful for that...

Post #555600 Wed May 02 2018 3:39pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I had slightly better service today I think, but not ideal.

My car was already booked in for next week (first available appointment) but broke down today (red dashboard lights) at just before 8am. I was only down the road, and it was driving OK, so I turned around and came home. I used the iPhone App first - but it couldn't work out where I was, so I just called them on the normal phone. They offered me a LR tech at 15:30-17:30, which was no good as I had to be back at work this afternoon but could fudge the morning. So they offered me the AA at 08:30-10:30 - and he turned up within the hour (despite me being at home and therefore probably not prioritised). Lovely chap, found the problem, set about trying to fix it, but eventually had to give up and call a flatbed (which arrived about 20 minutes later and took my car away to the dealer) plus arrange a hire car.

I got a text message from JLR saying they had tried to contact me (they hadn't) an hour later, which gave a number to call. They took some details and told me my local dealer had a Jaguar available which I could go and fetch. But obviously I couldn't. At one point I was cut off, but they did ring back 20 minutes later. They said they would pay for a taxi, but were flummoxed when I told them I was now at work and wouldn't finish until after 6pm. And I started before 8am tomorrow too. I suggested they deliver it to me at work, which was met with some surprise. He was going to ring the dealer to see what could be done and I was on hold for a while before the line got cut again. I managed to get some cover for 30 minutes tomorrow morning, and as they didn't call me again this time, I rang back to tell them I would pick up the car at 8am (though the new operator didn't have much of a clue and made it hard work).

I'm hoping they will have the car still available for me tomorrow. I suspect they may be a while fixing mine. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555613 Wed May 02 2018 5:54pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that Syl...at least I’m not alone though.

Still no update on mine....

Post #555690 Thu May 03 2018 3:58pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I picked up my Jaguar XF today - at least they gave me a decent spec 3 litre. And my RRS had the bonnet open according to the app, rather than just being sat in the carpark. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555701 Thu May 03 2018 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1