RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Engine note sounds different
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

syl

United Kingdom 
Engine note sounds different

The car sounded different this morning. I'm not mechanically minded, so I can't describe in detail. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but my teenage daughter noticed it too. It has continued this evening.

The engine note just seems different - a little bit louder but more muffled and a different pitch. The only thing I can compare it to is an exhaust "blowing" slightly from years ago, back when they were prone to rust, but this is from the front of the car. Most noticeable when accelerating gently, particularly about 1500-2000rpm in the first few gears. It's not there, or very quiet, if I just rev it whilst standing still; only under load.

I was thinking of ignoring it for a week, then if it seem to be continuing, taking it to the dealer. Any ideas?

4 month old SDV6 with 3,000 miles. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555193 Fri Apr 27 2018 4:33pm
RAW

DPF regenerating MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 Commercial Indus Silver

Post #555194 Fri Apr 27 2018 4:36pm
Nowaytk

England 

Mine one day sounded different, just like yours, I only really noticed under gentle load when pulling off, voiced concerns to the dealer, on numerous occasions, and when they did look at it the master tech said that’s within tolerances (whatever that meant ?) as he’s driven 100’s of the SDV6 and couldn’t tell any difference Rolling Eyes
Wasn’t happy with the diagnosis but had to go with the “Expert” as apparently they know what they are talking about Rolling with laughter lasted another year and a half then it didn’t make any noise Rolling with laughter good job I can laugh about it now, but certainly wasn’t laughing at the time 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #555196 Fri Apr 27 2018 4:57pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Well, I took my wife out for about 200 yards and asked if she noticed anything (without even asking her to listen specifically) and she said it sounds like it’s blowing. Probably not just me then. We both think it’s from the front passenger side, under load in low gears between 1500-2000 revs.

I’ll take it for a blast down the motorway but I can’t think it’s regen as it happened from cold this morning - surely it wouldn’t try to regenerate when cold? RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555204 Fri Apr 27 2018 7:41pm
Chips

England 

If it's the DPF doing a regen there is usually a smell of burning too , haven't noticed it yet on our RRS but on the our previous Q7 it was quite noticeable . I'm a farmer and when our John Deere does a regen the droning noise in the cab and the smell of fumes makes you almost park up and leave it get on with it ! Indeed the first time it did one I jumped out fully expecting to put a fire out somewhere , but at least on tractors a light comes on the dash to tell you it's happening(once you notice it ) , in cars they just try to pretend it's not happening .

Post #555207 Fri Apr 27 2018 9:05pm
syl

United Kingdom 

30 minutes down the motorway made no difference (other than it was sat at just the right rev range to hear it the whole time). The fuel economy is great too, so not DPF regeneration. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555211 Fri Apr 27 2018 9:57pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Unexpectedly had to go in to work today, so on the way home I drove by the dealer. They kindly sent a tech out in the car with me and he heard it within 20 seconds. Said he could also feel a vibration too (wasn't sure if I was imagining that, so I didn't mention it - but the whole engine noise is like the bass has been turned up to full so it's sensible). He had a quick look with a torch, but couldn't see anything and it's booked in for a proper look the second week of May. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555250 Sat Apr 28 2018 12:05pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Car booked in next week, been on a long run yesterday and I thought it was sounding a bit quieter (though still there) but was greeted with these messages about a mile away from home today whilst taking the daughter to school.

Stopped and started again - the charging one came back and the suspension one was replaced with:

Called the assistangce people - LR could come out this afternoon (which is no good, I have to be at work by then - I can get a lift) so the AA are coming this morning.

Sorry about the rotation - the gallery editor doesn't appear to work either, so I can't put them in the correct orientation. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555560 Wed May 02 2018 7:25am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Picture rotation - I have already posted a request to admin to have a look as it doesn’t seem to work for anybody just now 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #555563 Wed May 02 2018 7:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
syl

United Kingdom 

Well the AA have been and the fault has been diagnosed. It wasn't charging because the auxiliary drive belt had come off. This led to the other errors, and prior to coming off, was presumably the cause of the noise/vibration, The reason it came off was because one of the pulleys was at a funny angle - a bolt holding the compressor seems to have snapped. Unfortunately this seems to be right pain to get at and I guess will probably need drilling out anyway, so a flatbed was dispatched (and arrived within around 20 minutes) to take my car away to the dealer. I was hoping to avoid joining the flatbed club. Later on a phone call told me that they have a Jaguar available for me to go an pick up (I thought they might bring it to me, but they did at least offer to pay for a taxi). I'll fetch it tomorrow. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #555608 Wed May 02 2018 5:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tell them that you require a 4WD vehicle with a tow bar for work ........ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #555612 Wed May 02 2018 5:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PDC

United Kingdom 

It will be interesting to see how long JLR take to do the job....... 2010 RR 5.0 Autobiography
2020 F-Pace SV
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2015 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2008 RRS HST V8

Post #555628 Wed May 02 2018 7:50pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Well, update today. The broken bolt, which must be worth about 20p, needs to be replaced. They have the parts (I presume they'll replace the compressor and belt as well). But they need to take the engine out to do it. 10 hours labour was mentioned, though I'd guess it will be longer and that's just the book time for warranty work. Plus they need to try to fit it in around all the service work they have booked. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #556039 Tue May 08 2018 7:53pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I have the car back, engine has been out and back in, with a few bits replaced.

They also updated the infotainment system. Now it won't recognise my SIM card (and I've tried swapping it with the working one in my other car, and the one on another network from my phone, still won't work - well, it worked once, then failed when I restarted the car. Once out of about 25 attempts).

It also doesn't seem to be synchronising journeys and the app thinks it's parked at the dealers, though the last time it say it was contacted was when it was on my drive with the engine running (it still thinks the engine is running). I suppose that might be something to do with incontrol secure going off and it reporting itself stolen (I got text messages and phone calls).

Interestingly, it knows exactly where it is parked with on the landrover.here.com website.

Hopefully it will sort itself out overnight, otherwise it will be going back again. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Last edited by syl on Fri May 18 2018 9:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #556856 Fri May 18 2018 9:24pm
defender_uk

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Oh god, now I'm worried. Pick my new one up on Monday.....

Post #556858 Fri May 18 2018 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>