RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Advice please on RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Wayne56

France 
Advice please on RRS

Hi there, I was wondering if you could give me some advice please... I'm looking to buy a RRS 2006 as this is within my price bracket (just). I have found there are lots and lots of 2006 models on the market and not badly priced in comparison to other years - hence my question. Is there a problem in general with the 2006 models i.e keep breaking down, or general faults popping up all the time? I have a freelander 1998 atm, and she has been brilliant, she is now on her last legs though so I would like a newer model and like the look of the sport. Any advice would be greatly received. thanks in advance.

Post #554302 Mon Apr 16 2018 9:39am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Welcome Wayne,
If you spend a little time searching the site, you will find loads of topics on how reliable the RRS is in general. Not just the older models, but models that are somewhat newer. You will need deep pockets to keep these things on the road though. Sorry to say, but they really are money pits. If you can just about afford one now, then i would seriously look for a different brand. You aren't going to have enough money to keep it on the road unless you have a pot of cash set aside for regular repairs. Just make sure you do your homework before committing to buy.

Post #554304 Mon Apr 16 2018 10:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

No there is nothing specifically wrong with the 2006.

2.7 2007 models are susceptible to oil pump failures (so oil pump should be changed at the same time as the cambelt)

If you can just about afford one its not a good situation. They do need money spending on repairs. And the diesel engines aren't as robust as yours older one.

Post #554308 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:05am
Wayne56

France 

Thanks you both for your time, this is what I was hoping not to hear, but had a feeling I would. Always a good idea to get someone else's view on the matter - maybe time for a rethink and more online searches then, shame really like the look of them, but not much good sitting on the drive broken down until I can afford to fix it..... Crying or Very sad

Post #554309 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:33am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

If you can find one that has had all the bits done to it that need doing oil pump air compressor suspension arms etc and everything works then they can be as cheap to run as any other big 4x4 but if you get a bad one it does cost a lot to keep on the road but if you are handy with spanners then you could save yourself money but as said they are not cheap to keep

Post #554310 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:35am
Wayne56

France 

Hi Geffnook, I'm an engineer by trade so can do most things, what worries me about new vehicles is the computerized system, I have no knowledge when it comes to this. One of the reasons I prefer old vehicles is I can fix them easily, but wife is nagging about a nicer one.... um what to do???

Post #554311 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:45am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Many people own one of these http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/ for diagnostics....not cheap but if you plan on keeping the Sport a while it`s a good investment. I haven`t forked out yet as I don`t know how long I`ll have mine. Steve.

Post #554312 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:54am
geoffsnook

I have a gap tool and it does help to have one and there is an awful lot of help on here to aid most issues that will throw themselves at you quite often but not all the time Thumbs Up

Post #554313 Mon Apr 16 2018 12:02pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

^^^^^^ Indeed Very Happy Steve.

Post #554314 Mon Apr 16 2018 12:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I agree with what has been said above - bear in mind that although launch year was 2005 they were 2006 Model Year. Apart from above gearboxes and transmissions will be getting tired and can give problems and also suspension and steering. The cars built 2005 and 2006 were never designed to carry wheels bigger than 19” without an add on cost upgraded steering rack that allowed up to 20” wheels to be fitted. HSE’s with the optional Dynamic Handling pack had 20” wheels and uprated steering rack as standard, non DR HSE’s didn’t. It was only after 2007MY was launched that LR realised that many people wanted 20” wheels or bigger and fitted the heavy duty steering rack as standard. Other problems to watch out for are the “Pac-Man” LCD displays which can loose pixels and worn out interiors. As you have found, there are loads of them out there so don’t rush in to buy the first one that you look at, look around and gauge what is a dog and what is not as there are carefully looked after cars on the used car lots, just find ing them can be a headache! Discount anything on cheap Chinese tyres, non standard or fake (brand new) LR OEM wheels (ask the seller to remove a wheel or two to look at the LR oval cast into the inside of genuine LR alloys.) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #554318 Mon Apr 16 2018 2:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoffsnook

As Tim said have a look at tyres if they are a cheap brand then the chances of it being well looked after by previous owner are slim to none Thumbs Up

Post #554326 Mon Apr 16 2018 4:45pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

^^^^ Hmmmm...not necessarily. The car may have been serviced regular and looked after but maybe the owner didn`t drive many miles so put cheaper tyres on Very Happy Just a thought. Steve.

Post #554330 Mon Apr 16 2018 5:08pm
geoffsnook

I only do about 3000 in mine and would never but cheap tyres on it’s not worth the risk with some makes it would be like putting remoulded on Rolling with laughter

Post #554335 Mon Apr 16 2018 7:14pm
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Cymruambyth wrote:
^^^^ Hmmmm...not necessarily. The car may have been serviced regular and looked after but maybe the owner didn`t drive many miles so put cheaper tyres on Very Happy Just a thought.

Asking the brand of tyres is a question I use to filter if I should go look at a car. If the owner can’t afford to put decent tyres on a premium car, he probably can’t afford to service it.

Post #554361 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:46pm
CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Don't necessarily be too discouraged, as if you are handy with the spanners, then you can save a lot of money by working on it yourself. I do most things on mine out of choice. There is a huge amount of information on this site, youtube etc on how to fix things, so you will generally be following in someone else's footsteps.

Having said that, there are one or two exceptions. The first being the gearbox. Mine has the a slight shudder under load at low speeds, which is probably the torque converter. I've had it fully flushed, twice, but it's still there. If I cant solve it, it'll be £3K for a new one. It's a ZF unit, so not really anything LR could be blamed for.
The other is some model year diesel engines have problems, as mentioned above. It's hard to know how common the problem is.
A friend of mine is an AA mechanic and he reckons that the petrol models are much more reliable, though more thirsty ! Big Cry

Post #554696 Sat Apr 21 2018 8:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1