RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > "Judder" type sensation on heavy breaking,brakes o
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MrM

"Judder" type sensation on heavy breaking,brakes o

I've noticed that under heavy ish braking by car has a sensation that I can only describe as a slight non-linear judder. It doesn't pull one way or other or violently vibrate and it is not low on stopping power. It almost feels like the gearbox is sequentially going back down the gears as I brake, hence the braking isn't creamy smooth and the feeling isn't linear, if that makes any sense. This is the first auto I've owned so not sure of this sensation is normal or not, or if I am being overly sensitive.

In auto mode the car does jump up the gears pretty quickly as you pick up speed, so if gear selection is speed matched, the box would have to shift down a decent number of gears. To try and test my theory I broke hard from 60 in 3rd in manual mode and seemed much better.

Can anyone pass any comment on how theirs feels?

Post #554270 Sun Apr 15 2018 6:34pm
MrM

Having taken my car out for a drive to test it does indeed seem to be gearbox/selection related, as when held in manual mode, the behavior doesn't exist, so I think I can stop worrying!

But blimey do the discs get hot when worked!!

Post #554281 Sun Apr 15 2018 8:02pm
IRBails

Australia 

Judder under braking is common especially with the Brembos and the OME pads. I have changed pads 3 times before deciding not to use OME pads.If you are not driving in stop start conditions the OME pads don't seem to get up to temps and leave material on the rotors which will cause a vibration. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #554289 Sun Apr 15 2018 10:36pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

There are two issues here.

The first is the transmission, which shifts down the gears sequentialy as you slow down. It does produce a snatch which did not happen on the old shape L320 RRS. It is one of the things I think makes the L494 inferior to the old model. But it is not a fault, just the way that it works. It probably does make for a slight improvement in response when you reapply power, but it is not a smooth transmission.

The second issue is the brakes, which can easily develop some 'run-out' on the front discs that will translate into a vibration felt primarily through the brake pedal when you brake hard. Asbestos free pads are hard on the discs, and the RRS sport being a heavy car, the brakes have a lot of work to do. It is often advisable to change discs and pads together when replacement pads are due. I always do. I do my own maintenance having been a mechanic for over 30 years, so I find it cheap and easy to replace discs and pads together. That ensures that the pedal travel is kept to a minimum, there is no run-out to cause problems and no corrosion to clean up. I use parts from my local motor factor, which are generally Brembo discs (even though they are not Brembo brakes on the car) and Girling pads. Although next time, I am tempted to give the EBC pads a try.

It sounds as though you have diagnosed the sensation for yourself, but this is my experience on the subject.

Post #554305 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:14am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

^^^ Great response. Steve.

Post #554307 Mon Apr 16 2018 11:41am
MrM

Sounds like "normal" behavior then. Thanks all.

Post #554315 Mon Apr 16 2018 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1