RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Late 2015 vs MY2018 SVR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Late 2015 vs MY2018 SVR?

Hi all

I know I've been flooding the forum lately with questions so please bear with me but this is a great source of information and experience & I'd rather be well informed before the event than find out afterwards.

I am now looking at PCP as the route to take (p/ex + cash deposit then 30-36 months) and have seen a Nov 2015 SVR I really like priced around £75K (one owner, 2.5 years remaining on service plan, 6 months on LR warranty, 29K miles, 22" alloys, heads up display, Estoril Blue).

However with the facelift model now available (albeit 5/6 month lead time) I'm thinking go for the latter. On Rockar
with the spec I want (VERY similar to the one above) the finance is cheaper and the discount is around 4% off the list price so comes in around £100K.

The good thing is though the monthly payments work out similar with the differential being the GFV/Optional Final Payment varying by approx the difference in cost price.

The big question; all things being equal those who have owned both which would you go for? OR even those who have or do only own one variant would you swap one for the other if the choice were there?

I've seen some grumbles about the exhaust note not having the same crackle & pop, others have mentioned the seats being inferior, also the calipers not being Brembo (or blue) any longer but that aside would you pick the newer one and why?

Apologies again for the long post, I really would appreciate your thoughts and comments as I am about to pull the trigger on the pre-owned one but seriously thinking with the cost (initially) of both being about the same and my intention at the moment of only keeping either for 2/3 years it may be better to go for the 2018 and all the excitement and anticipation that comes with an overgrown child awaiting a shiny new toy!

Post #553499 Sun Apr 08 2018 12:25pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

For £25k more, zero miles vs 30k ,if the payments where close a new one would be a no-brainer imo. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #553506 Sun Apr 08 2018 1:38pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

Its a brainer.

One will cost you a lot more in the long run - that being the newer car .

The depreciation curve during the first 18-24 months isn’t insignificant infact it’s quite a lot of money.

Weighed against a car that’s lost most of its money already , obviously that will be worth less in the long run but you won’t be borrowing as heavily against it either .

Weigh up all the figures and maintenance etc and then decide.

Bottom line it will cost you a fair bit more over the term to drive the latest and greatest. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #553511 Sun Apr 08 2018 2:49pm
kismet110

Quote:
Of course it’s a brainer.

One will cost you a lot more in the long run - that being the newer car.

The depreciation curve during the first 18-24 months isn’t insignificant infact it’s quite a lot of money.

Weighed against a car that’s lost most of its money already obviously that will be worth less in the long run but you won’t be borrowing as heavily against it either.

Weigh up all the figures and maintenance etc and then decide.

Bottom line it will cost you a fair bit more over the term to drive the latest and greatest.

Is this right though? I get the heavy depreciation in the early years but that aside if a car goes back at the end of a PCP then surely it pretty much evens out?

EXAMPLE:

£100K car, £20K deposit. 36 months PCP around £800 per month (4.9%APR). After 3 years the GFV/OFP is around £60K.

£75K car, £20K deposit. 36 months PCP around £900 per month (8.2% APR). After 3 years the GFV/OFP is around £35K.

So effectively both vehicles are showing the same monetary depreciation on paper of around 40K over the 3 year period.

The insurance, VED and fuel costs would be the same per annum for both (or as good as) but the newer vehicle wouldn't need an MoT in that period and have an LR warranty in place. One cost for the latter would be a Service Plan and prices aren't out yet but assuming even a price rise of 10% that would be around £1K or so.

So, unless I'm missing something, over 3 years the cost for the pre-owned would be more based on the higher APR, the requirement for 3 x MoT tests and the need for a replacement warranty once the default LR one expires in November this year.

(These would cost at least £1,500 assuming no issues at MoT time so the extra £1,000 or so spent on a Service Plan on a new vehicle would be negated)

Please feel free to correct me if I've missed something as this is all new to me; in the past I've only bought cars with cash/personal loan!

Cheers

Post #553516 Sun Apr 08 2018 3:25pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

Why are you borrowing at 8 percent ?! 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #553520 Sun Apr 08 2018 3:42pm
kismet110

Quote:
Why are you borrowing at 8 percent?

That was the figure quoted to me by the vendor, it is via Black Horse.

But even if I were to get that down a little (say around 6.75/7.00%) it wouldn't change the numbers enough to make a significant difference to the above calculations?

Post #553523 Sun Apr 08 2018 3:55pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

You could get that figure down to 5 percent if you shopped around .

You could borrow 50 grand unsecured and pay 900-1000 back over 5 years and own the car outright.

Also your back end figures I d suggest would be slightly better off on the older car.

As in what it’s worth above the guaranteed figure at the end .

I m a poster child for the latest and greatest and I m not sensible at all when it comes to changing my cars but your money goes further in the older car.

However if it’s the newer car you want then the numbers are by the by. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #553526 Sun Apr 08 2018 4:02pm
kismet110

Quote:

You could get that figure down to 5 percent if you shopped around.

You could borrow 50 grand unsecured and pay 900-1000 back over 5 years and own the car outright.

Also your back end figures I d suggest would be slightly better off on the older car.

I m a poster child for the latest and greatest and I m not sensible at all when it comes to changing my cars but your money goes further in the older car.

However if it’s the newer car you want then the numbers are by the by.

Hmm, I don't think for pre-owned I can get it down to 5%, a person I spoke to Friday at Oracle did quote a better per month payment but didn't get the APR off him at the time, think it was under 7% though.

If you borrow up to £30K or so on an unsecured loan the rates are as low as 3.00% APR but anything above that is typically closer to 7.00% although not sure I want a loan (or PCP) above 3 years.

Back end figures are only what was quoted to me but agree, the value should be higher than the GFV on the older one.

I've never owned a brand new car in my life, always gone for ones 3/4 years old with the usual FSH and reasonable mileage so most of the depreciation hit has been borne out by someone else so the thought of having one for the first time ever is sorely tempting hence this post but end of the day if the other option is significantly better I will go with it.

Also, from a slightly different perspective and part of the original question - any owners of both variants please feel free to comment about the pros and cons from a driving/aesthetic perspective as it's not all about the money Wink

Last edited by kismet110 on Sun Apr 08 2018 8:56pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #553535 Sun Apr 08 2018 4:23pm

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

There is one thing that always happens to cars and that they depreciate, if your worried about loosing money don’t buy either, very few cars are an “ investment “ unless you’ve got your beer goggles on an the man maths calculator out.
I think the newer car could depreciate less as the newer model will be more desirable 3 years down the line.
If your comfortable with the payments go for it life is for living with

Post #553537 Sun Apr 08 2018 4:51pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

kismet110 wrote:
Quote:

You could get that figure down to 5 percent if you shopped around.

However if it’s the newer car you want then the numbers are by the by.

Hmm, I don't think for pre-owned I can get it down to 5%, a person I spoke to Friday at Oracle did quote a better indication per month payment but didn't get the APR off him at the time, think it was under 7% though.

If you borrow up to £30K or so on an unsecured loan the rates are as low as 3.0 APR but anything above that is typically closer to 7% although not sure I want a loan (or PCP) above 3 years!

Back end figures are only what was quoted to me but agree, the value should be higher than the GFV on the older one.

I've never owned a brand new car in my life, always gone for ones 3/4 years old with the usual FSH and reasonable mileage so most of the depreciation hit has been borne out by someone else so the thought of having one for the first time ever is sorely tempting hence this post but end of the day if the other option is significantly better I will go with it.

Also, from a slightly different perspective and part of the original question - any owners of both variants please feel free to comment about the pros and cons from a driving/aesthetic perspective as it's not all about the money Wink

Your last question is an interesting one.....give me a few days and I ll have my my17 and my18 side by side .

I d imagine the biggest differences will be the interior / infotainment system. The sat nav will be worlds apart as the my15 will have the really dated system.

I think you’d struggle to notice the extra 25 bhp .

Having driven past a my18 in my spec today I really noticed the difference in looks even though my missus swore blind it was the same car. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #553538 Sun Apr 08 2018 5:07pm
kismet110

360 wrote:
There is one thing that always happens to cars and that they depreciate, if your worried about loosing money don’t buy either, very few cars are an “ investment “ unless you’ve got your beer goggles on an the man maths calculator out.
I think the newer car could depreciate less as the newer model will be more desirable 3 years down the line.
If your comfortable with the payments go for it life is for living with

Oh yeah, I'm under no illusion that pretty much any car bought new will be massively less value even as you drive off the forecourt!

That's what I'm thinking re: newer model as it's only just been released and in 2/3 years time the older one will look more dated even though the facelift isn't massively significant (at least from the outside).

Quote:
Your last question is an interesting one.....give me a few days and I'll have my my17 and my18 side by side.

I'd imagine the biggest differences will be the interior / infotainment system. The sat nav will be worlds apart as the my15 will have the really dated system.

I think you’d struggle to notice the extra 25bhp.

Having driven past a my18 in my spec today I really noticed the difference in looks even though my missus swore blind it was the same car.

Yes please, would love to hear your thoughts once you've got both.

And it seems like whilst even modest cars had excellent satnav/display systems years ago JLR, especially considering the cost of them, have been shockingly slow to keep up to date.

LOL, my missus probably wouldn't even notice the difference bar the colour between my L320 and any SVR Smile

Post #553575 Sun Apr 08 2018 8:42pm
andymc

United Kingdom 

Hiya

Whilst you are making these types of decisions - also look into insurance quotes. This was unexpectedly higher than I had planned for ... SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #553656 Mon Apr 09 2018 7:37pm
kismet110

^^^

Cheers Andy, you mean for couple years old vs brand new or just SVRs in general?

I am in old(er) git territory now and live in a low-risk area so current insurance on a 4.2 SC is very cheap (relatively speaking) but I would expect a hike of course for an SVR.

Think NFU will be first port of call if the current company go too far North ...

Post #553668 Mon Apr 09 2018 10:07pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Kismet,

This is the reason I always buy new cars, the interest rates on the pcp are always a good bit less so when borrowing around £50k plus so it makes a big difference, also you have a full 3 year warranty & probably manage to wangle a service pack out of them. To keep them both reasonably equal you should also factor an additional years warranty for your third year of ownership of the older car which will be around £1k from LR, however I suppose the road tax will be a lot more on the new car? Hey as they say life’s for living, if you like your motors & can afford it then go for the new one!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Malc

Post #553831 Wed Apr 11 2018 9:35pm
kismet110

Quote:

Kismet,

This is the reason I always buy new cars, the interest rates on the pcp are always a good bit less so when borrowing around £50k plus so it makes a big difference, also you have a full 3 year warranty & probably manage to wangle a service pack out of them. To keep them both reasonably equal you should also factor an additional years warranty for your third year of ownership of the older car which will be around £1k from LR, however I suppose the road tax will be a lot more on the new car? Hey as they say life’s for living, if you like your motors & can afford it then go for the new one!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Malc

Spot on Malc, the best rate on the pre-owned is 6.2% APR whilst the brand new is 4.9%. And as you mention it comes with 3 year LR warranty, no requirement for an MOT during the first 3 years + Service Plan so that's covered too.

The older vehicles would be nearly out of the default warranty and I was quoted £1,300 for two years on top via Warranty Wise, no idea if they are better (or worse!) than the likes of Warranty Direct etc.

But I had totally forgotten about the higher first year Road Tax on new vehicles so need to be wary of that - just checked and it's £2k for an SVR Shocked

Which does lead me to another question; for brand new vehicles is the first year cost of VED generally borne by the dealership or the buyer?

And cheers, still mulling over what to do. I am lucky that the need isn't urgent or critical, gives me time to think Smile

Post #553842 Wed Apr 11 2018 11:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>