RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Coming from a BMW....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

markbebbs

Coming from a BMW....

Hi

I've had BMW's for 20 years but looking to by a 2014 / 2015 RRS HSE. Easy for me to know the extras I like on BMW but struggling a bit with the RRS. Is there an equivalent of the packs BMW do like media pack, ,professional nav etc Basically, what are the little extras that are nice to have when looking at used dealer approved RRS?

Post #552158 Sat Mar 24 2018 8:20am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If you are looking at the 3.0 sdv6 then stick with the beemer,with all the problems arising with the crankshaft issues you could end up with a big bill.If you are looking at the 4.4 sdv8 or the 5.0 sc then I will say go for it.As for the extras like radio/cd & sat nav Ect I cannot compare as I’ve only had 1 bmw & I only kept it a month & didn’t like it.If I were you I’d be going for the Autobiography as the have more extras standard & if it’s a 4.4 sdv8 or a 5.0 sc then these engines come standard in AB spec.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #552159 Sat Mar 24 2018 8:37am
syl

United Kingdom 

Download a brochure for the model year in question and see what you’d like. As said, the autobiography comes with most options as standard.

The ones I like (standard on autobiography) are:

Heated steering wheel
Adaptive cruise control
Blind spot monitors
Panoramic sunroof

Plus consider:

Full size spare wheel
Tinted rear windows
Extra wash bottle RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #552162 Sat Mar 24 2018 8:44am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Land Rover products come with a much higher standard spec than BMW and very few “packs” - most of what are offered as options are upgrade on what is OEM fitted except “Offroad/On Road” Pack for HSE RRS which gives the non-dynamic HSE the low ratio gears and full Terrain Responce but NOT the Dynamic Handling tricks. Optional gear is stuff like Autonomous Braking combined with adaptive cruise, automatic high beam/low beam on cars with non LED headlights, Head-up display. satnav is the same regardless of the model, pretty comprehensive system that is part of the ICE system. It cannot Show traffic cams but does have TMC and traffic warnings built in, the IN Control Touch Pro systems need a data sim to add more functionality but I find the standard satnav fine once you are used to it (unlike the over complex BMW system that comes in my new Mini which is a nightmare compared to Land Rover’s) Audio is either standard crap (Meridian 380watt in new cars but you might find the 825watt option on later isan upgrde when it was standard on older pre-2106MY cars, then there is the all singing and dancing Meridian Premium £4000 option 1700w system that is better than many people have in their Home!
I’m going the other way to you - from an RRS to aBMW Mini Countryman and found that the option packs are way too complicated and too many cross overs/common things and a lot to things I didn’t want to get something I did, also LR offers a great heated steering wheel - not available on BMW Mini! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sat Mar 24 2018 9:42am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #552163 Sat Mar 24 2018 8:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markbebbs

Tyrefitter wrote:
If you are looking at the 3.0 sdv6 then stick with the beemer,with all the problems arising with the crankshaft issues you could end up with a big bill.If you are looking at the 4.4 sdv8 or the 5.0 sc then I will say go for it.As for the extras like radio/cd & sat nav Ect I cannot compare as I’ve only had 1 bmw & I only kept it a month & didn’t like it.If I were you I’d be going for the Autobiography as the have more extras standard & if it’s a 4.4 sdv8 or a 5.0 sc then these engines come standard in AB spec.

Andy.

Andy, I had no idea about the crank failures. Just been reading about it and pretty shocking. I'm test driving a 2015 sdv6 today so will see what the sales guy says about it. I couldn't find anything that says what year they fix it though.

Post #552165 Sat Mar 24 2018 9:12am
markbebbs

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Land Rover products come with a much higher standard spec than BMW and very few “packs” most of what are offered as options are upgrade on what is fitted except “Offroad/On Road” Pack for HSE RRS which gives the non-dynamic HSE the low ratio gears and full Terrain Responce but NOT the Dynamic Handling tricks. Optional gear is tuff like Autonomous Braking combined with adaptive cruise, automatic high beam ‘ low beam on cars with non LED headlights, Head-up display. satnav is the same regardless of the model, pretty comprehensive system that is part of the ICE system. It cannot Show traffic cams but does have TMC and traffic warnings built in, the IN Control Touch Pro systems need a data sim to add more functionality but I find the standard satnav fine once you are used to it (unlike the over complex BMW system that comes in my new Mini which is a nightmare compared to Land Rover’s) Audio is either standard crap (Meridian 380watt in new cars but you might find the 825watt isgood and on later isan upgrde when it was standardonolder ones, then there istheallsingingand dancing Meridian Premium £4000 option 1700w system that is better than any people have in their Home!
I’m going the other way to you - from an RRS to aBMW Mini Countrymanand round the option packs way too complicated and too many cross overs/common things and a lot to things I didn’t want to get something I did, also LR offers a great heated steering wheel - not viable on BMW Mini!

Think I've just been put off RR because of the known engine issue. Will take a look at X5

Post #552166 Sat Mar 24 2018 9:15am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Don’t let me put you off RR products as I’m on my 6th sport a FFRR vogue,a old p38 + we also have a my15 evoque in the family & have only had 2 small issues which were put right through warranty,,I was lucky with my last my14 AB sdv6 as the crankshaft failed 2 weeks after I sold it & now I have a 5.0SC as I only do about 4-5k a year,,if I was ever to go back to diesel I wouldn’t hesitate with getting a sdv8 4.4.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #552167 Sat Mar 24 2018 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

^ yes what Andy says is true and the snapping crank is supposed to be something that is an issue on pre2015 cars but LR hasn’t the confidence to cover it with the used car warranty or the extended warranty, there have been much fewer incidents of it on more recent cars. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #552168 Sat Mar 24 2018 9:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I'd owned 3 different BMWs before buying a RRS S/C First Edition 7+ years ago (325i, 530i Sport & X5 4.4) but once I got up to speed with it there was no turning back.

I am now looking to get a newer one not just because anything else I look into doesn't match up to it but also my kids have made it clear it better be another RRS!

They aren't perfect and previous reliability issues have been well documented but I urge you to test drive one (or more) and not be put off so easily!

Post #552387 Tue Mar 27 2018 9:26am
V8tdi

Wales 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I got my first RRS last year honestly I’ve always had BMW and VW Touareg and it’s by far significantly better than my x5 or VW
Different experience certainly and the German wagons are great cars but when your in the RRS you feel like your in a special place not just in a very well engineered car
I liked it so much I’m replacing my company x5 in Germany with a my18 balmoral blue Autobiography, just the waiting time now as it’s pushed back another month to end of may Sad

Post #552389 Tue Mar 27 2018 10:18am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Oh, i was going to ask V8 when was your new one arriving. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #552395 Tue Mar 27 2018 12:11pm
wilchesth

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

I have read quite a few horror stories, it looks like getting extended warranty is a Must for all of us RRS owners.

Post #552520 Wed Mar 28 2018 3:43pm
Paulsinhis30s

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I was a devout member of the BMW tribe for years, had a couple of E36’s, an E46 and a couple of E90’s, as well as a 7 series. The one thing i have found is that they got gradually less reliable with each new model, to the point where the last couple i had spent more time in the garage than on the road. The 7 series was a diesel, had swirl flap issue, alternator issue and timing chain issue, poured £4,500 after BMW contribution into that one. It was the worst 2 years of motoring i have ever had, it broke down constantly and that’s supposed to be BMW’s flagship model.

The reality is they just don’t build them like they used to. The BMW techie advised me that they have had loads of issues with the 3 ltr Diesel engines, which are a staple of the X5. That ended it for me with BMW, and I havent looked back.

Forums like this unfortunately tend to be dominated with issues and faults, but what i found from reading a lot of posts on here when i was looking for an RRS was that there are some models to aim for and some to avoid. Bottom line, all cars can have drama’s from time to time. I don’t think anything here is any worse than anything else out there.

Its also worth noting - BMW assistance run a fleet of Land Rovers...

Post #552606 Thu Mar 29 2018 2:45pm
J2D

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
^ yes what Andy says is true and the snapping crank is supposed to be something that is an issue on pre2015 cars but LR hasn’t the confidence to cover it with the used car warranty or the extended warranty, there have been much fewer incidents of it on more recent cars.

This is unreal! Common fault but LR won’t cover it on there used car warranties!!!
This has put me right off purchasing an Approved Used now!

Any ideas how my this crank issue costs to repair??

John

Post #552723 Fri Mar 30 2018 8:14pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Warranty Direct cover it (at about 2/3rds of the price of the LR extended warranty). But best to check with them before parting with your cash. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #552724 Fri Mar 30 2018 8:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1