Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Battery/Upper Tailgate Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mitdan27

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Battery/Upper Tailgate Issue

Hi there,

For a few weeks the upper tailgate section hasnt been working. This has also coincided with having a very strange battery drain issue.

The lower part of the tailgate works with pressing the big round button, however the switch for the upper tailgate isnt working. Ive ordered a new switch, however when ive taken the old one off today, it looks like new behind the rubber boot. I have checked with a multimeter and there is continuity through the switch itself and no sign of corrosion etc. Checking for power to the connectors in the tailgate section, its showing as 4.6 on the multimeter, not sure if thats correct.

Ive then checked all fuses and relays relating to the tailgate and all are fine.

This may be a coincidence, but on 3 occasions recently ive had an issue where the battery drains for no apparent reason. The weird part is that it works fine week after week and even when sitting for a period of time, however on 3 occasions now, when ive been washing it or cleaning inside etc, I jump in it and it wont start or turn over at all. Charger shows it down to 10V, charge it back up to 13v and its fine. It may just be a coincidence but ive read a lot online linking the boot issue with the battery drain, I just cant get my head around where the issue would be seen as the switch is seemingly fine and the fuses are too.

Any help would be great! I will be fitting the new switch regardless when it arrives

Mitch

Post #632337 Fri Apr 14 2023 12:43pm
mitdan27

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

On a further note to this, been outside with it this morning trying to make some progress and just by having the main tailgate open and the occasional door open, the battery has gone again, reading 10v when i plug the charger back in.
Not sure what would be causing such a drain in a short period given the only thing running is the interior light which surely isnt enough to drain it that much.
We have put a battery tester to check the battery and that showing as its fine when it puts a load through from the tester.

Not sure whether this is all linked or whether this is a seperate issue and the battery is actually goosed

Post #632358 Sat Apr 15 2023 12:02pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Usually if the battery gets down to 10V it's dead, even if it will take charge from a charger. Had this before - plug in the charger, all looks good, even shows 12.7V but as soon as a load is applied, it drops to 10-11V because a cell is dead. Could the drain actually just be internal to the battery itself and a sign that a cell is failing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #632409 Mon Apr 17 2023 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1