Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Roof rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SCar24

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey
Roof rails

Hi,

On my 2014 RRS I have the roof rails, but there are no holes for the cross bars?? I am assuming this is an extra securing feature to lock the bars into place. I know the bars are genuine LR, but perhaps the rails themselves are aftermarket?
Looks like a b***** to have to drill holes there with them attached to the roof.
Anyone else bumped into this problem?

Regards,
Sean

Post #557123 Tue May 22 2018 6:16am
GregP

Australia 

The cross-bars will clamp to the genuine rails, using feet designed for that type of rail, no need for holes. I have the Thule cross bars and they are quite secure. MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #557124 Tue May 22 2018 6:43am
SCar24

Quote:
The cross-bars will clamp to the genuine rails, using feet designed for that type of rail, no need for holes. I have the Thule cross bars and they are quite secure.

So you suggest removing the tabs on the cross bars, just using the actual clamping force to secure them?

Post #557135 Tue May 22 2018 8:22am
GregP

Australia 

If your rails are not genuine or genuine-shaped, then sorry I cannot help you. For genuine rails here is a link to the Thule instructions for fitting the Thule feet to the RRS rails and Thule cross bars. Thule part number 4039 is the RRS specific feet.
http://www.thule.com.au/wp-content/themes/...039-01.pdf
I do not have genuine RRS cross bars, so I do not know how they attach, but assume it is something similar to the Thule ones. (maybe somebody else can chime in) MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #557200 Wed May 23 2018 1:09am
PIG88

United Kingdom 

Hi,
I've 'lurked' on the site for a while but joined today as I may be able to help with this question. There is much useful info on the forum so it's only fair that I should contribute too!

I have a 2016.5 L494 with LR roof rails and cross bars. The LR cross bars will only fit in one place at front and back - there are two small holes on the inboard side of each roof rail at approximately 36 cms from the front and 72cms from the back. Lugs on the roof bar fit into these holes and effectively lock the bar into place.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will try to upload some photos.

Post #557227 Wed May 23 2018 6:57pm
GregP

Australia 

Thanks PIG88, I had difficulty finding any info at all from LR on their cross-bars (as opposed to the roof rails) when I was looking around last year. Couldn't even find any LR cross-bars fitted to cars in their yard. Looks like I have not missed out on anything by not going with the LR ones Smile MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #557240 Thu May 24 2018 1:27am
SCar24

PIG88 wrote:
Hi,
I've 'lurked' on the site for a while but joined today as I may be able to help with this question. There is much useful info on the forum so it's only fair that I should contribute too!

I have a 2016.5 L494 with LR roof rails and cross bars. The LR cross bars will only fit in one place at front and back - there are two small holes on the inboard side of each roof rail at approximately 36 cms from the front and 72cms from the back. Lugs on the roof bar fit into these holes and effectively lock the bar into place.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will try to upload some photos.

Thanks PIG88, figured there must be something like that. Seems I have aftermarket rails on my vehicle then, since I haven't got the holes you mention. Not sure whether to remove the tabs/lugs on the crossbars, or make an attempt to drill holes in the rails. Not exactly a flat surface Smile

Thanks again

Post #557242 Thu May 24 2018 6:11am
PIG88

United Kingdom 

A few more thoughts . . . . Personally, I wouldn’t attempt to drill holes in the roof rails while they are in situ - too much risk of damaging your roof and very hard to get the drill in the right place. I would also be reluctant to try removing the lugs from the bars (could there be an insurance issue if your roof load comes off later and causes damage/injury?). An easier and better option may be to buy some Thule bars like the ones that GregP has and then sell the LR ones (e.g. on this forum). Similarly, you could swap the roof rails for some genuine LR ones although that would be more work and the old ones may be more difficult to sell.

Post #557261 Thu May 24 2018 9:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1