RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Puncture close to tyre shoulder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Puncture close to tyre shoulder

An unwelcome discovery on Sunday morning that one of my rear tyres was completely deflated and on closer inspection had a hole close to the shoulder:

Click image to enlarge

Lucky perhaps that it must have happened close to home as I'd been enjoying travelling fast back up a nice clear and dry M1 the previous night at about 11 p.m.

Fitted the space saver and slung the wheel in the boot.

Was pretty convinced this was outside the repairable zone of central 70% of the tread stated in the British Standard but surprisingly my local Kwik-Fit (I know - but it's by far the nearest place!) were quite happy to fix it. So could have been worse!

Again - luckily I'd checked the space saver a few months back to find it had deflated due to some corrosion around the bead so had it de-mounted, cleaned up and re-mounted with a good helping of bead sealant. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #549184 Mon Feb 19 2018 7:21pm
stornoway10

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That's a lucky do, glad it worked out ok for you

Mine was less lucky, Nerg the nail (anyone remember Ogri from Bike Magazine???), was embedded right on the shoulder of the tyre-it was only 175 miles old.........gutted Big Cry Big Cry

Picked the nail up at the tip and had a rapid deflation and of course they don't want to know but they are " a'vin it"

Reecy

Post #549188 Mon Feb 19 2018 7:27pm
syl

United Kingdom 
Re: Puncture close to tyre shoulder

Paddi wrote:
Was pretty convinced this was outside the repairable zone of central 70% of the tread stated in the British Standard but surprisingly my local Kwik-Fit (I know - but it's by far the nearest place!) were quite happy to fix it. So could have been worse!

Outside the MINOR repairable zone in the British standard. The rest is in the MAJOR repairable zone in the British standard. Most places don't do major repairs, but there are some who do - they are commonly done on expensive truck and tractor tyres.

http://www.gftyresolutions.com/articles/can-my-puncture-be-fixed

(read to the bottom of the page) RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #549212 Mon Feb 19 2018 10:10pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thanks. I had looked at similar information. As far as I know, Kwik-Fit didn't do a 'major' repair involving vulcanising as they completed the job so quickly. I asked what they have done and it is tyre off, clean inside with solvent and insert a mushroom shaped plug with adhesive on from the outside. All they did say was that it all depends on the internal curvature of the tyre at the puncture site. Provided it is fairly flat then the method of repair they use is safe and satisfactory. Apparently. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #549258 Tue Feb 20 2018 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1