RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Experience day at Dunkeld
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lindab

United Kingdom 
Experience day at Dunkeld

I am just back from a free experience day at Butterstone near Dunkeld. I was supposed to be in a Sport but a few days ago they phoned me to say that there was a problem with the Sport & would it be ok if I took another vehicle today but I would also get another day when they had a Sport free. This was really nice of them & everyone I met there was top class. Apparently the Sport had broken a driveshaft.
There was about 10 vehicles & it was pretty busy but with multiple courses to traverse no one got in each others way
I took a Velar as I had never driven one before & had a really good instructor, Hamish, who gave me a thorough explanation of all the controls. Velar touch screens look good but in practice its easy to brush another setting by mistake Shocked so personally its not as good as it looks. The car drove well, harder suspension than the Sport, few creaks & bangs, though to be fair it did everything that was asked of it. Not as good as a Sport & the instructor agreed, so I wont be changing to one of these.
Plenty mud & water, a bit snow but not as much as I wanted. It was snowing where I stay last night but it never reached Dunkeld Big Cry The forestry section was really good & we had time to take in a logging road on the Atholl Estate & as stated before the car was faultless
They keep the cars for between 6 & 9 months then they go back to Land rover. All are white & all regs start OV, OW & OY, so beware any low mileage "management cars" for sale
A great day out & I am looking forward to returning when a Sport is free Very Happy

Post #553070 Tue Apr 03 2018 5:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Great that you enjoyed the day.

I don’t understand the “steer clear of ex LRE cars” - they are way better looked after than any privately owned car, they are maintained regardless of cost as they have to impress potential customers as well as those who have bought already and they have been used for what they were designed to do unlike 95% of Land Rover cars that sit in traffic jams clogging up their DPF, posing in front of the local school having been driven 500m to the gates from home or ½ mile to the local supermarket, all of which doesn’t do any of the running gear a lot of good. OK so they are any colour you want so long as it is white but they also come with every single toy on them as they are also demonstrators and have to be able show off the tech (even if we know that often it is a bit wobbly). If I wanted a well looked after low miles white RRS I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an ex LRE car or an ex Management car. I would even buy an ex Press fleet car if the price was low enough...... not sure I would want a car ragged buy Jeremy Clarkson and all the GT team on a race track but at least one member here has bought one such car and has no problems with it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #553088 Tue Apr 03 2018 7:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Each to their own, but personally speaking if I was buying a 9 month old pre used vehicle I would rather have one that has been on the school run rather than climbing rocks in a muddy field even though its been back to land rover for mechanical & probably bodywork. The car still has 2 years plus manufacturers warranty left to sort out DPF problems. Also running at around a maximum of 19mph in a field won't be any better for the DPF. I don't have a problem buying an ex management car, but prefer not to have one that has been used by a myriad of drivers on the LR Experience

Post #553121 Tue Apr 03 2018 10:05pm
Cobstar

United Kingdom 

I think it is the DPF issue that would worry me about an ex-LRE car despite them being so well maintained. Last time we did a day at East3they had to swap the D4 out at lunchtime as it flashed up a DPF fault. It had only done a couple of thousand miles.

Post #553137 Wed Apr 04 2018 7:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1