RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Injectors or Glow Plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

phillh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Injectors or Glow Plugs

My 2005 RRS (114k miles) is proving difficult to start when temp is below about 2degrees. Normally it fires up straight away but when v cold, it struggles to start, when it does fire up it is rough/lumpy for the first 30 or so seconds then runs fine. It also chucks out whitey/grey smoke when it first fires, clear after that.

I took it to my local garage last week for a brake pipe issue and asked them to check the glow plugs, their machine could not detect any faults but they tested the front 2 that they could access easily, one was working, the other wasn't.

They said they were reluctant to change the glow plugs as the fault could be a defective injector dripping fuel into the chamber and didn't want to do the glow plugs if that wasn't the underlying cause. Fair enough but why does it only do it when very cold? Anyway I told them to leave it for the time being.

I have no relevant faults showing on my iid tool.

Anyone else had this issue or any thoughts please.

Post #547704 Mon Feb 05 2018 9:15am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

http://www.disco4.com/forum/robbies-guide-...ow%2Bplugs

My eyes glaze over when I see anything as technical as this, but he is a bit of a guru Bow down
If you understand it/know someone you trust that understands it, it may help. I understand they are a Censored to get out and probably will break a few.

Post #547705 Mon Feb 05 2018 9:25am
phillh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the link, very interesting Thumbs Up

Post #547710 Mon Feb 05 2018 9:58am
GodivaNige

England 

My local Indy advises against replacing faulty glow plugs in an older engine as they have a high tendency to break, resulting in huge labour costs to remove. They advise an aftermarket remote climate kit such as those fitted by Bodsy, to run the FBH thus warming the engine prior to a cold start. Worth considering Thumbs Up

Post #547713 Mon Feb 05 2018 10:19am
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

I have some glow plugs out, but I now struggle below 10 degrees. I fitted the FBH kit and I don't have a problem at all after pre heating. My car is a 55 plate and I am really reluctant to mess with the glow plugs.

Post #548478 Tue Feb 13 2018 11:05am
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Ditto what Nige said. I have issues starting below 0c suspect some glow plugs out. Indy recommended an fbh kit, yes its a bit of a workaround the issue but took their advice. I Ordered the fbh from jgs4x4, order it from their site not the bay and save a few quid. 30mins to fit and problem now gone. Used it a couple of time this week with the cold snap.

There are lots of wires and most are not used, I did't bother with wiring to headlight as happy with gsm Thumbs Up . The other added benefit if you car goes walkies its got a gps, ok not thatcham grade but might get your car back in the unlucky event. Probably more use for the other half to locate the car after shopping Rolling with laughter

Post #548540 Tue Feb 13 2018 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1