RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Locating an oil leak.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Left4dead

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Sumatra Black
Locating an oil leak.

Hi Everyone,

I would like some help to trace an oil leak on my 2008 TDV8 please. Looking under the front right side of the car there is a plastic cover held on by 4 x black plastic rivet clips. Once this is removed it reveals two hoses, the top hose (next to the alternator) runs gradually up and heads alongside the engine to the back. This hose is coated in what I think is engine oil, it has also ran onto the hose below. It’s obviously been leaking for a while judging by the hoses but the leak must only be very slow/small as I’m lucky if I see one drip on my drive a week and the under trays are clean of oil. I’m just trying to figure out where it’s coming from. If its an engine out job I might just leave it for now, if not I will get it fixed but would like to have a rough idea if possible. I hope I’ve given enough info, I’ve also included a picture.

Thanks very much for any help.

Click image to enlarge

Post #549295 Tue Feb 20 2018 5:19pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Hi mate,, I know it's not much help but I have the exact same issue. Had the problem for a good while now, it might be coincidence but I'm sure it started when I had an egr valve replaced. Only ever got one or two drops on the drive,, then it stopped for a good while, then all of a sudden started again. Very intermittent, I have actually bought a boroscope ( mini flexible camera) so I can look into the dark depths to try and locate the leak but not got round to it yet. My first thoughts were the turbo area 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #549304 Tue Feb 20 2018 7:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds like the crank case ventilation system vent hose. It runs from an oil separator at the rear of the engine V and discharges fumes in the right hand air intake upstream of the turbo. I guess that over time it might become porous or there is a small leak near the top which is working its way down the hose under gravity. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #549312 Tue Feb 20 2018 7:55pm
Left4dead

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Sumatra Black

Alright Gogsy, I’ve got one of those and tried to use it today but going from the underneath it doesn’t give off enough light to see clearly enough, just had a thought, might open the bonnet to see if that lets a little more light through, doubt it but it can’t be any worse lol.
Alright RRSTDV8, is what you’ve described an expensive job to fix? I’m torn between booking it into LR because it’s such a small leak...

Cheers lads

Post #549314 Tue Feb 20 2018 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1