Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > New to me 2008 TDV8 :D
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

E31Gill

United Kingdom 
New to me 2008 TDV8 :D

Very Happy
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a few weeks now and I thought I should announce my arrival.
Last month I purchased a 106,000 mile RRS 2008 TDV8 (ex footballer upto 70,000 miles) at an amazing price.

I love the car in general and have been tackling a few things that need doing

So far I have repopulated my ransacked boot toolkit, added OEM mud flaps and changed the rear clusters to led along with adding newer style side vents and body colour door mirror caps. New deep pile OEM mats. All this has made the car look and feel a lot newer! My ivory leather was dirty and badly worn on the drivers seat and had a hole in the outermost panel on the seat base. - now deep cleaned repaired and recoloured with the help of a repair kit.

After a few weeks I feel like I have got to know the car and its faults so here are my findings :

Lights are poor at lighting up the road, looks like it need new HIDs.

Suspension slow to raise, and lights up after a few minutes off driving so I guess the pump will need refurbishing.

Reports coolant level low once in a while - though the expansion tank is full. I have noticed so steam coming up from the left side of the car by the wheel arch so there must be a small leak somewhere. I hate using radweld type additives so will tackle it properly soon.

My main problem is that if I drive the car hard I get the engine management warning and it goes into limp home mode. The car shows P132E on my fault reader. I am guessing actuator rods.

Overall pleased and looking forward to contributing to this site

Last edited by E31Gill on Sat Jan 20 2018 7:56am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #546250 Fri Jan 19 2018 10:00am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The "steam" by the left front wheel is probably exhaust gas from the fuel fired heater. The exhaust can look steamy.

Slow suspension raise is probably a tired compressor.

The lights should be excellent so worth a look there. They might just need adjusting to point correctly. Hopefully it's not the dreaded beam "droop". The TDV8 should have AFS lights (they steer in corners). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #546251 Fri Jan 19 2018 10:09am
E31Gill

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the steam from the left wheel arch is quite obvious and smells of antifreeze. I think I read that the EGRs are water cooled so it may be suspect on that side.

Going back to the P132E when under load, I checked my top intercooler hoses. They are original from 2008 and extremely soft and pliable. I have bought replacement new ones from Island 4x4 at around 12.50 a pop. They are much stiffer in comparison. I think these old hoses may be flexing inward when the turbo is sucking air. I'll report back on the main forum when I have had a chance to test this theory in the coming weeks (yes weeks!!! life of a busy Dad of three, shift working full time inc weekends and bank holidays and baby sitting when the other half is at work)

Photos to follow soon

Post #546317 Sat Jan 20 2018 7:53am
Cymruambyth

Wales 
Re: New to me 2008 TDV8 :D

E31Gill wrote:
Very Happy
(ex footballer upto 70,000 miles) at an amazing price.

I love the car in general and have been tackling a few things that need doing

I saw what you did there....footballer.....tackling Laughing Steve.

Post #546326 Sat Jan 20 2018 12:50pm
E31Gill

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Still learning, looking forward to the challenge of wiping 4 years of neglect away

Post #546390 Sat Jan 20 2018 11:35pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The EGRs are water cooled but they're not really near the wheel arches. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #546400 Sun Jan 21 2018 9:56am
E31Gill

United Kingdom 

The plot thickens!

Well when the bonnet is open the steam is coming from roughly between the battery tray and the engine area. When the bonnet is closed it escapes from the wheel arch area Confused

Post #546402 Sun Jan 21 2018 10:07am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Fbh is located in front of the battery tray so I agree with the other comments regarding the "steam" from that area. Mine only occasionally emits any steam but it always has that distinctive smell about it. Sometimes they require purging to clear any diesel that's been sitting due to lack use.
The intercooler hoses on mine are quite soft as you say yours are, but I do not suffer from reduced performance,,, the only time I encountered this was when the egr's gave up.
Might be worth checking the MAF / MAP sensors,, a 10 minute job that doesn't cost anything they should be spotlessly clean, all you need is a can of brake cleaner, spray and allow to dry,,,, Don't be poking them! 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #546412 Sun Jan 21 2018 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1