RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Handbrake shoe re-fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Handbrake shoe re-fitting

Been meaning to post this for a while. Sorry if it is a bit of a minority interest for those who do their own servicing.

For anyone who has or is contemplating stripping, cleaning and reassembling the handbrake as a service routine or changing the handbrake shoes - you will find Bodsy's brake Bible invaluable.

However, you may still struggle to fit the handbrake hold-down pins and springs because it is a tight space to work in and the springs are strong and hard to compress. As I think Bodsy mentions 'you need three hands for this one'.

Last time though I finally found a technique to fit them that is quick, easy and simple:

Here is a pic of a pin and spring in place so you know what we are talking about:

To fit the spring, reach behind the backplate, insert the pin through the backplate and brake shoe and hold it in place with the tip of a finger, then using the other hand, compress the spring in a pair of pliers and hold the open end at a 45 degree angle to the shoe and slip the upper 'fork' under the pin's head. Then release the pliers and the spring just pops into place.

It was easier to take a picture on the bench to show this but note in the picture the spring isn't fully compressed as you need to squeeze hard to close the open end properly:

Hopefully this might save others a bit of time and swearing! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #546198 Thu Jan 18 2018 3:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1