Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > HF Ham Radio Fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bluhawk1875

United Kingdom 
HF Ham Radio Fitting

Hi All

Enjoying being back in a nice new sport since September having had two years away in a Disco . I had planned on fitting my HF Ham Transceiver in the sport in a similar manner to the way I had in my Discovery 4 . The first problem to overcome is antenna fitment , the Disco had very convenient U Channel type Roof rails which were easy to fabricate a fitting to take an antenna mount , the sport has solid ones so currently the only way I can think of to fit a mount is to mount one to a set of roof bars . Which is OK but not so convenient when it comes to removal etc . The Tailgate spoiler is plastic so that wont take a conventional lip mount and the there are no gutters to mount to , any thoughts ? I know our aussie friends use some serious solid fittings that poke out from under the bonnet but result in the antenna being in the drivers field of view and overall a less than attractive solution ( but very functional ) .

Second problem but hopefully easier to solve is the 20A supply needed to run the radio , the radio body can be mounted remotely in the boot so I am thinking of picking up a supply from a spare fuse in the fuse board on the drivers side of the boot ? ?

Any thoughts or suggestion greatly appreciated .

Happy New Year everyone !!

Simon

Post #544686 Wed Jan 03 2018 4:46pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You can get roof-rails for an RRS and perhaps using one of the 3 (each side) bolt points might be an option.

Post #544689 Wed Jan 03 2018 4:58pm
Bluhawk1875

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply .

I have just had a look at the roof rails and cant see any bolt points , is this a 'Specsavers' moment or am I looking in the wrong place ?

I do have a set of Thule Aero Bars for the rails which could be drilled to take an antenna mount but that then has implications about fitting and refitting with the coaxial cable (s) and grounding, plus I'm sure someone on here will have come up with a tidier solution.

Simon

Post #544769 Thu Jan 04 2018 11:40am
Pufftmw

Have you got the rails that sit proud of the roofline? As in the below?

https://www.powerfuluk.com/range-rover-spo...02130.html

You could either use/create a mount that fits inside the channel or use one of the 3 attachment points, with a longer bolt, to attach a mount to. The bolts have a plastic "cover" over them when fitted.

If you haven't got the rails, then you can still use one of the mounting points after removing the gutter cover and replace after I would have thought.

Post #544770 Thu Jan 04 2018 11:55am
Bluhawk1875

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately not , that is the type that was fitted to my old Sport and also my Disco , they were much easier to work with and I managed to fabricate a fitting that slotted into the U channel quite nicely .

I'm not sure what year they changed but on my new sport ( 2017) they have changed to a solid profile with the roof bars clamping onto rather than into them .

Simon

Post #544783 Thu Jan 04 2018 2:12pm
Pufftmw

Ah - a "new" new Sport Thumbs Up

Post #544860 Fri Jan 05 2018 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1