RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > When battery decide to die...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dalmat

Croatia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
When battery decide to die...

I did nod drive my car for couple of weeks so it was connected to smart charger to keep battery in good condition. When I decide to do some drive and enjoy, I disconnect charger and went to start the car and then surprise. Starter hardly manage to turn...
Than I put this small voltmeter in socket and see 10.7 Volts on my surprise. Eventually car started with some warnings, I did run it on idle for a while and 14.9 Volts was on voltmeter. Than I went for short trip and went back stop the car and start again and starter was struggling again, with 10.5 Volts on voltmeter.

Well, it's busted, one cell was fried - I told to mayself, and battery was 3 years old.

I write this because I saw similar complaints when everything looks fine , alternator and starter good, battery good and suddenly problem with starting. Just put voltmeter while charging and than disconnect charger and read the numbers. Mine dropped from 13.8 with charger on to 10.9 with charger off within 5 seconds. Than you know you need a new battery.

Post #543652 Mon Dec 18 2017 10:49am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I had the same with my last battery. It dropped a cell and would show as charged on the Ctek but fail to start to engine. New battery required. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #543655 Mon Dec 18 2017 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1